Mancini, Walker and Trumbo react to Chris Davis signing

Frobby

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walker will get you a bag of nothing. Mancini will get you a slightly larger bag of nothing.

I don't think Dan cares how little he'll get for Walker. I do think GMs like to have buckets of prospects to draw from when working out a match. Walker may not be a centerpiece, but he just may help our package to land an arm.

I don't think Mancini is going anywhere for now.

The last scenario I can remember the O's having like this was between G. Davis, R. Milligan, and D. Segui. With the O's moving Segui to the outfield because they wanted his bat in the lineup. We'll see how it plays out I guess.

Segui was a good defender but slow footed and the experiment didn't work very well. But it will be good for the O's if Walker or Mancini can force the O's hand by having a great season.

Plenty of room for both Walker and Mancini. But first they need to hit in AAA. Walker had an avg year last year and Mancini topped out in Bowie. Given the roster that we have their is an opportunity for AB's for Rickard, Alvarez, Urrutia, Avery, Walker and Mancini. Whoever hits in ST and gets hot at the beginning of the year. Last year nobody won the LF/RF job all year in a similar scenario.

If Alvarez, Urrutia and Walker don't have good years in AAA they should just be viewed as organizational filler and lose their 40 man spots.

I thought Adam was taking over SS.

Ah, I almost forgot about the "move Adam Jones to shortstop" thing that existed for a few years. I think some of those old threads may be instructive here. I remember discussing that most MLB prospects were P/SS/CFers at lower levels, and moved elsewhere as they got to college or inital pro leagues and couldn't handle where they started. If Mancini was a first baseman throughout college and the low minors that suggests that he wasn't even a good enough OF/3B to beat out the average organizational guys who can play OF/3B.

To think Mancini can move righward you have to assume some of the following:

1) Most/all of his prior coaches/managers mis-evaluated his talent in a large way

2) He's coincidentally played only on teams with really good OF/3B

3) He has a very strong personal preference for first that he's now willing to set aside

The Occam's Razor answer is that he isn't good enough to move off first.

Archived