Melo/Carter/Stone - who goes pro/who stays?

Gofannon

Trimble isn't going to improve his draft stock any by staying another year. He will leave and likely be a mid-first round pick. I think it is close to 100 percent that he is gone.

Stone has a small chance of coming back. It really depends on what he and his family's financial situation is. It will be hard to turn down that money if he's guaranteed to be a lottery pick. Talented big man are so rare. I'd say it's 80/20 that he is gone.

Carter is a more interesting case. I'm surprised he doesn't get more attention from scouts. He has an NBA Game. I think 60/40 he stays.

Trimble isn't going to improve his draft stock any by staying another year.

Yeah, Trimble likely goes 20-25 and that isn't changing whether he stays or not. Fact that he puts his body on the line every time he drives to the hoop doesn't help the case, staying and getting injured would be pretty horrible.

And with Trimble gone, there goes your distributor, main reason Stone came here. Like putting myself in Stone's shoes and I'm projected to go 10-15, I'm gone if Trimble's gone. Same applies to Carter, though I see him more going in late first/early second.

I think it is highly likely that all 5 starters will spend some time on an NBA roster before it is over. I think Sulaimon has the athleticism and defensive ability to get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too. I know he's not the ideal size and he doesn't handle the ball well enough to play point in the NBA, but his defense, outside shooting, athleticism and quickness should find a role in the NBA. Right now, he might be the Terps best player of late.

Me too. I know he's no the ideal size and he doesn't handle the ball well enough to play point in the NBA, but his defense, outside shooting, athleticism and quickness should find a role in the NBA. Right now, he might be the Terps best player of late.

I'm glad that you and vatech brought up defense. That is an area where I feel like both Trimble and Stone could really help themselves with another year. Trimble is not very good at fighting through screens and struggles with keeping guys in front of him. Stone has improved defensively, but gets beat in the low post and struggles keeping guys off the boards. Offensively they may not have much to do to improve their draft stock, and I realize both may be gone after this year, but I feel like some improvement defensively would help them down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

I am bumping this just because yesterday's game underscored just how limited these three are defensively. Trimble and Carter got destroyed on the pick and roll and rotating on pick & roll plays, while Stone's defense was so bad that they went with Dodd for the last few minutes of the game. Trimble and Carter were also turnover machines.

I still won't be surprised if all three of them leave, but if Trimble keeps playing like he has been, that has to hurt his draft stock, doesn't it?

I'd say if things don't turn around quickly and hard for Trimble, he isn't going anywhere even if he wants to go.

I don't think Carter goes. He is still not strong enough to play the 4 in the pros and he doesn't shoot well enough to play the 3.

I think Stone is gone. Too much skillset for his size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think we may only lose Stone. Unless he falls off, someone will take him pretty high but Trimble has not helped his draft status at all and he was probably at best a mid to high 1st rounder before his terrible streak. Unless he refinds himself in the tourney, I don't see him getting taken in the 1st round and he may want to get one more year to try and increase his stock.

Carter is still iffy for me. Sometimes he looks NBa ready adn other times, especially defensively he doesn't even look like NBA material. Hopefully he comes back but if he thinks he can sniff the 1st round he'll go.

Archived