Olney: Orioles

weams

You seem more pessimistic than most around here about our chances of contending this year. I don't think it's obvious that any of the other AL East teams are better than us with Gallardo and Fowler added (which, of course, hasn't happened yet). I'm expecting a fun and highly competitive season. If it isn't, I'd rather throw in the towel in July than now.

I think one can make a valid argument for any order of the five teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the plan is to give up now and "emerge in four to five years," then they shouldn't have signed Davis, Kim, and O'Day and they should have traded Jones, Machado, Britton, Tillman, Schoop, Jimenez, Schoop, Gausman, and Gonzalez.

1B Walker

2B Flaherty

SS Hardy

3B Tolleson

RF Reimold

CF Lough

LF Alvarez

DH Paredes

Wright

Wilson

Odie

Worley

Jones

Givens

Brach

Bundy

Drake

Matusz

McFarland

Roe

That should have been the 2016 team. Welcome to Birdland.

I just died inside after reading that post. I think we shouldn't sign Gallardo, but if we win with him, we go farther. A necessary evil, just like lawyers and the rebuilding process.

I just died inside after reading that post. I think we shouldn't sign Gallardo, but if we win with him, we go farther. A necessary evil, just like lawyers and the rebuilding process.

Why? It doesn't show anyone who was received in the trades and they would have received some major league ready prospects. :D

BTW Norfolk would really have a great, fun team to watch. It would've been perfect for you.

I was not for offering Wieters the QO or for a lot of other moves. However, once those moves were made, I think signing Gallardo and Fowler make sense. Without signing them it was just treading water without changing direction (retooling or rebuilding). Now it is a genuine "future be damned, going for it now" team. I don't like it, but it makes more sense than not making these two moves.

All the talk for a year about how important the 2016 draft was for this team and the abundance of picks seems kind of embarassing now (assuming we give up the two picks). The optimist in me says that the O's can still have a good draft in 2016, hope the 2015 draft turns out well, and hope that some of Bundy/Harvey/Mancini/Sisco/Reyes/Walker turn into good ML players.

Another positive spin on this, is that the Orioles will hopefully have some tradeable chips if things don't go well this season.

I agree that we don't have much choice but to sign them at this point. They've alreadt spent a ton of money to keep the team together, now they have to spend to improve it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Why? It doesn't show anyone who was received in the trades and they would have received some major league ready prospects. :D

BTW Norfolk would really have a great, fun team to watch. It would've been perfect for you.

No one in Norfolk cares about the O's besides me and a few other people. It's the Mets and the nats down here that matter

No one in Norfolk cares about the O's besides me and a few other people. It's the Mets and the nats down here that matter

Interesting and similar to the Red Wings situation from years ago. My good friend is from Rochester and there is still a huge Orioles presence up there despite the move to Ottawa in 2003. Not too many Twins fans around. Kinda cool seeing the locals stick with the "home team."

Though, there will, naturally, always be a Yankees presence there as well.

Interesting and similar to the Red Wings situation from years ago. My good friend is from Rochester and there is still a huge Orioles presence up there despite the move to Ottawa in 2003. Not too many Twins fans around. Kinda cool seeing the locals stick with the "home team."

Though, there will, naturally, always be a Yankees presence there as well.

Pretty much.

I did. Indeed.

I remember you being at 105m and thought I was crazy to be at 115m. The attendance drop last year seemed to say that Peter would not spend. But he has. And if he goes to 150m there is no history that could have told us he was going there. Its a major change in philosophy.

Although the idea of continuing to win every year AND simultaneously trading assets at their peak value and building as you go sounds appealing, in practice, it seems very, very few teams are able to actually accomplish this. St. Louis. Period. Every other team seems to go through cyclical ups, downs, firsts, lasts and most seem to ride their window till it is slammed shut with relatively little thought during that window of trading starters for future assets. Most teams usually are trading prospects for additional pieces at the big league level during their windows. It doesn't seem that we are much different in that regard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do they broadcast both O's and Nats games down there? And most watch the Nats?

We have MASN in basic cable, and most people do watch the nats here. But they're not the smart stats nerds here. They're the dumb baseball fans who swear the umps were paid off by MLB to help the nats lose. It explains the weird Homerisms i have and how defensive I get when it comes to baseball. The mets fans are more of a crapshoot. Some are smart and I love talking to, and the other ones are straight from NYC. Loud, obnoxious and covered in chili stains

We have MASN in basic cable, and most people do watch the nats here. But they're not the smart stats nerds here. They're the dumb baseball fans who swear the umps were paid off by MLB to help the nats lose. It explains the weird Homerisms i have and how defensive I get when it comes to baseball. The mets fans are more of a crapshoot. Some are smart and I love talking to, and the other ones are straight from NYC. Loud, obnoxious and covered in chili stains

It makes sense that there are Mets fans as the Tides used to be their farm team not all that long ago.

It makes sense that there are Mets fans as the Tides used to be their farm team not all that long ago.

It's no shocker to me, but the mets fans here were happy to go to the WS this year. Sports wise it's a blender down here. Everyone local either roots for DC (majority) or Baltimore (rarely) and you get people from everywhere due to the Navy out in Norfolk and Fentress airfield out here in Chesapeake. (I've met Browns fans who are actually brave enough to wear their colors around here.)

Archived