Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to assume guys like Pujols and Ortiz are near the top of grounding into DP's all time.
For the record, I was right and wrong. Pujols is 3rd and Ortiz, surprisingly is only 46.

Ortiz has a very low GB/FB ratio, 0.57 compared to MLB average of 0.79 in his career. Pujols is more normal, 0.71. Cal, the all-time GIDP leader, is at 0.85 for the years in which GB/FB data is available (1988 and after).

There's a very good chance that Pujols will surpass Cal in GIDP next year. He's only 15 behind. With five seasons left to go on his contract, and averaging about 20 GIDP a year, he should mutilate that record.

Ortiz has a very low GB/FB ratio, 0.57 compared to MLB average of 0.79 in his career. Pujols is more normal, 0.71. Cal, the all-time GIDP leader, is at 0.85 for the years in which GB/FB data is available (1988 and after).

There's a very good chance that Pujols will surpass Cal in GIDP next year. He's only 15 behind. With five seasons left to go on his contract, and averaging about 20 GIDP a year, he should mutilate that record.

Yeah look on the list of players with the most DP career wise. A Lot of HOF's, Hank Aaron is one of the top of my head. Of course those players have more games and PA's than most players.

Yeah look on the list of players with the most DP career wise. A Lot of HOF's' date=' Hank Aaron is one of the top of my head. Of course those players have more games and PA's than most players.[/quote']

That's the main point. I'm sure you could find lots of players with a higher DP rate than Cal. But they didn't have 12,883 plate appearances. Cal's career DP rate (GIDP per opportunity) was 13% (11% is MLB average). Just to pick a random slow guy, Frank Howard's career DP rate was 15%. But he only had 7,352 plate appearances. Pujols is at 14%.

Strikeouts also play into it. Chris Davis has a career GIDP rate of only 6%. A big part of that is that he is whiffing about three times more often than a guy like Pujols.

Edit: Just noodling around, Billy Butler has a career 19% GIDP rate.

Archived