Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

I'm not saying they are trying to fail him. I don't disagree with the Orioles. I worry more about other players avoiding the team out of fear. I highly doubt Gallardo expected this. Never having an arm issue before, how could he. Do agents have their clients do an independent medical beforehand? Is that the "medicals" I always hear getting tossed around?

Look at it this way.... Having to fill your starting lineup with Free Agents is a BAD situation for the O's to be in, and it should always be their goal to only use FA as a last resort or to fill out the bench/depth.

Despite throwing big $$ at Davis (and the recent jump in payroll), the O's still haven't signed a "big" outside FA since Tejada, and I'd say they're unlikely to do so for a long, long time. Teams like the O's often can't afford to get it wrong in these situations, so they do everything in their power to make sure their asset isn't already damaged.

If FA's are skiddish about engaging the O's due to concerns over the physical, so be it.. it shouldn't our goal to be relying on the FA market in the first place.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it really about his physical or the money? If it's about money then I believe we can forget about Gallardo and possibly signings with O's in the future. Wonder how Fowler feels about this and IF he pulls out now that he sees what's happening with Gallardo??? I understand O's but seems to be a common theme now. Wow!!!!!

If Fowler has no physical issues he shouldn't be be afraid. It is not like a ton of batters have failed Orioles physicals. I think signing a pitcher that has another option in the future is pretty remote. Hitters Park plus likely to fail physical = look somewhere else.

The mistake was making the offer in the first place

1. Apparently no one else was interested

2. He has experienced a drop in velocity in the past couple years

3. He has experienced a significant drop in K rate over the past couple years

4. He was bad over the second half of last season posting a 1.7 WHIP

5. He couldn't get much past the fifth inning over his last 15 starts

Just connecting the dots would indicate that he is either injured or just breaking down form so many innings pitched in the majors.

Hopefully the medical staff fixes the blunder that the scouting staff allowed, and in 18 months when he demonstrates that he isn't worth a 3/35 contract it won't tarnish the O's too badly

I don't think that's ever going to happen. They always work off of whatever medicals the player/agent hand over. But there is no guarantee when you get him in to examine him yourself whether you will see the same thing.

I still think Gallardo is an Oriole in 2016. Talks of restructuring (if true) isn't signs a deal is dead. And as its been mentioned, it's late in the game and teams weren't knocking down his door to get him. Unless a team with a protected pick comes along. Like a Miami or Oakland. Then he has a solid half and they trade him for a prospect or two.

Maybe they just build in incentives based on games started. Keep it reasonable like 20 games/season? If he reaches that number, he gets the same money they agreed on?

Players want guaranteed contracts in case they get injured. If he feels he will be healthy why not just sign a one year deal and then go back on the market next year. Say 12 million this year. If the Orioles give him the qualifying offer he would get 16 more million if he accepted. So I don't see why he would do that deal. If he is pitching poorly they would just stop starting him after game 19. Makes no sense for him to sign something like that.

The mistake was making the offer in the first place

1. Apparently no one else was interested

2. He has experienced a drop in velocity in the past couple years

3. He has experienced a significant drop in K rate over the past couple years

4. He was bad over the second half of last season posting a 1.7 WHIP

5. He couldn't get much past the fifth inning over his last 15 starts

Just connecting the dots would indicate that he is either injured or just breaking down form so many innings pitched in the majors.

Hopefully the medical staff fixes the blunder that the scouting staff allowed, and in 18 months when he demonstrates that he isn't worth a 3/35 contract it won't tarnish the O's too badly

His velocity in 2008 was 91.8. It's not like he went from 98 to 90. As for his second half, did the Texas heat take a toll?

If Fowler has no physical issues he shouldn't be be afraid. It is not like a ton of batters have failed Orioles physicals. I think signing a pitcher that has another option in the future is pretty remote. Hitters Park plus likely to fail physical = look somewhere else.

I bet if somebody were to get and honest answer out of Gallardo right now I bet he doesn't think he had any physical issues either.

Players want guaranteed contracts in case they get injured. If he feels he will be healthy why not just sign a one year deal and then go back on the market next year. Say 12 million this year. If the Orioles give him the qualifying offer he would get 16 more million if he accepted. So I don't see why he would do that deal. If he is pitching poorly they would just stop starting him after game 19. Makes no sense for him to sign something like that.

Because he already agreed to a 3 year deal.

Hard to know exactly what's going on, but if the O's are trying to restructure the deal (as Rosenthal reported) based on what Britt described as a normal MRI, Gallardo has every reason to walk away.

Look at it this way.... Having to fill your starting lineup with Free Agents is a BAD situation for the O's to be in, and it should always be their goal to only use FA as a last resort or to fill out the bench/depth.

Despite throwing big $$ at Davis (and the recent jump in payroll), the O's still haven't signed a "big" outside FA since Tejada, and I'd say they're unlikely to do so for a long, long time. Teams like the O's often can't afford to get it wrong in these situations, so they do everything in their power to make sure their asset isn't already damaged.

If FA's are skiddish about engaging the O's due to concerns over the physical, so be it.. it shouldn't our goal to be relying on the FA market in the first place.

I assume younger players have to pass for extentions too. What if they have issues with Manny's knee? Gausman has had some arm issues. This doesn't just affect FA.

Hard to know exactly what's going on, but if the O's are trying to restructure the deal (as Rosenthal reported) based on what Britt described as a normal MRI, Gallardo has every reason to walk away.

Yes and no. He definitely has every right to walk away, but he's almost certainly not getting more than 1 year from another club coming off a failed physical with a draft pick attached. So if the Orioles were willing to guarantee at least 2 years, he'd be wise to still take that deal.

Yes and no. He definitely has every right to walk away, but he's almost certainly not getting more than 1 year from another club coming off a failed physical with a draft pick attached. So if the Orioles were willing to guarantee at least 2 years, he'd be wise to still take that deal.

According to britt, the MRI didn't show anything abnormal. So failing the O's physical might not deter a team as much.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the waiting, negotiating, etc., that preceded an "agreement," only to throw it all into question following the results of a physical that everyone in the game seems to think is...intense, if not excessive. The O's should've been able to look at Gallardo's peripheral stats and guess that his arm now isn't what it was at 25.

That said...why on Earth do pitchers continue to negotiate with the Orioles, even if the money looks superior at the front end? The physical has the potential to absolutely obliterate whatever a pitcher's market was before meeting with the O's. Just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Archived