Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

I'm not sure I understand the point of the waiting, negotiating, etc., that preceded an "agreement," only to throw it all into question following the results of a physical that everyone in the game seems to think is...intense, if not excessive. The O's should've been able to look at Gallardo's peripheral stats and guess that his arm now isn't what it was at 25.

That said...why on Earth do pitchers continue to negotiate with the Orioles, even if the money looks superior at the front end? The physical has the potential to absolutely obliterate whatever a pitcher's market was before meeting with the O's. Just doesn't seem worth the risk.

How many pitchers have actually been stopped by the Orioles doctors?

How many pitchers have they signed over the last 5 years, including MIL deals?

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure I understand the point of the waiting, negotiating, etc., that preceded an "agreement," only to throw it all into question following the results of a physical that everyone in the game seems to think is...intense, if not excessive. The O's should've been able to look at Gallardo's peripheral stats and guess that his arm now isn't what it was at 25.

That said...why on Earth do pitchers continue to negotiate with the Orioles, even if the money looks superior at the front end? The physical has the potential to absolutely obliterate whatever a pitcher's market was before meeting with the O's. Just doesn't seem worth the risk.

It seems Fister and Latos agree with you.

I really don't like the fact that players' medical issues are being reported, when a big amount of money is on the line. I don't know where the leak is, but it should be dealt with harshly. I can't imagine it's coming from the player.

Indeed. The perpetrator(s) should be skewered. Grilled as to their motives. Doused with A1.

Unrelatedly, I skipped breakfast today.

I assume younger players have to pass for extentions too. What if they have issues with Manny's knee? Gausman has had some arm issues. This doesn't just affect FA.

To my knowledge, this process has never affected anyone but pitchers (in recent memory). the inner workings of a well-worn elbow/shoulder is a lot more delicate and a lot more likely cause for concern than anything going on with a normal position player.

The Orioles players go through physicals annually just like the FA's do. The O's have a pretty good idea the physical condition/issues with all their guys. I'm not sure what your issue is there.

Look at it this way.... Having to fill your starting lineup with Free Agents is a BAD situation for the O's to be in, and it should always be their goal to only use FA as a last resort or to fill out the bench/depth.

Despite throwing big $$ at Davis (and the recent jump in payroll), the O's still haven't signed a "big" outside FA since Tejada, and I'd say they're unlikely to do so for a long, long time. Teams like the O's often can't afford to get it wrong in these situations, so they do everything in their power to make sure their asset isn't already damaged.

If FA's are skiddish about engaging the O's due to concerns over the physical, so be it.. it shouldn't our goal to be relying on the FA market in the first place.

Free Agents have really hurt the Yankees. 23 straight winning seasons and 7 World Series appearances during that time.

How many deals have they attempted (and how many deals have gone through) for comparable dollar amounts? The issue isn't whether the O's will ever sign pitchers...it's how MUCH they're willing to pay pitchers who're "risky," in their estimation.

Is it really about his physical or the money? If it's about money then I believe we can forget about Gallardo and possibly signings with O's in the future. Wonder how Fowler feels about this and IF he pulls out now that he sees what's happening with Gallardo??? I understand O's but seems to be a common theme now. Wow!!!!!

It's about the physical, but it's about both. You'd want more medical certainty in a 3/$35 mm deal than you would in a 1/$8 mm deal.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Orioles being careful here. I'm just concerned that the physical has turned up something that is causing the team to re-think the contract. That is worrisome because the O's don't have a lot of options at this point. It won't be good if they back out and have no alternative, and it won't be good if they go through with the deal and Gallardo turns out to be damaged goods.

You have a valid point, BUT JMHO I bet there have been negotiations that have NEVER gone any where with some pitcher's due to the O's physicals we just never hear that because it NEVER GET's THAT FAR ALONG.

Jimenez signed a pretty hefty deal. After quite a bit of velocity loss. Britt says nothing abnormal showed up in Gallardos MRI. If true, this will make the Orioles look bad, fair or not. Maybe they are using this as a way to get the deal they originally wanted. Idk. It's not fair of me to suggest that I know, but if what Britt says is true, I'm not sure what the hold up is then.

Free Agents have really hurt the Yankees. 23 straight winning seasons and 7 World Series appearances during that time.

And?? What's your point. The O's should be spending like the Yankees? The core of their more recent championship teams was homegrown.

They have several Albatross contracts they're stuck with right now that prevented them from doing much of anything this offseason.

Also... Generally, if the Yankees throw $100 mil at a guy, and it turns out he's a dud.. they can just DFA and trade/sign for the next expensive player. See: Pavano, Carl

Jimenez signed a pretty hefty deal. After quite a bit of velocity loss. Britt says nothing abnormal showed up in Gallardos MRI. If true, this will make the Orioles look bad, fair or not. Maybe they are using this as a way to get the deal they originally wanted. Idk. It's not fair of me to suggest that I know, but if what Britt says is true, I'm not sure what the hold up is then.

Also, how many Oriole Pitchers, while assigned to the parent team, develop TJ elbow and need surgery?

I gotta agree Britt's not helping the Orioles cause here?

Archived