Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

When Mark "The Toe" Reynolds left following the 2012 season, my biggest concern was about Davis' defense at 1st base. Davis had been absolutely horrific at 1st base for the first 1/3 of the 2012 season before we moved Reynolds there (who played the position well), and moved Davis to the DH spot.

To my surprise (and to my delight) Davis played well defensively at 1st base in 2013 ...... much better than he had played there for the first 1/3 of the previous season (2012.) And I feel that he continued to play well there in 2014 and 2015.

I would love to have Markakis come back to play right field, which would allow Davis to stay at 1st base ...... which would mean that we would not have to rely on Trumbo playing there (the prospect of which I am not thrilled about.)

Braves are on a fire sale. I don't think it would take much to get Nicky back.

Mancini and Tyler Wilson/Mike Wright for Markakis?

Gonna need Mancini to get a starting pitcher. It shouldn't take that much to get Nick back. Doubt it happens though, too many burned bridges.

1) Because they might still be in the running for a good outfielder?

2) Because Nick's 2016 Steamer projection is to be a worse hitter than Dariel Alvarez, who will cost $500k and no prospects?

3) Because nostalgia isn't a valid teambuilding strategy?

Dariel. One of the top five plays in the outfield in 2015.

It would be kind of funny if we just got the entire 2014 team back at double the payroll. If Angelos can afford it, I must admit he would be an upgrade over what we got. I am OK with a replacement level OF along with the rest of the lineup we have. More worried about pitching. Is Bud available on a minor league deal?

Markakis has an established level of 1.5 wins. Assume half a win a year decline, so it's reasonable to assume that the rest of his career will be worth three wins, or a little over $21M.

Maybe today is 30% overpayment day, and it's fine to take on a 3/33 deal for three wins, plus whatever prospect(s) the Braves want.

But I still fail to see the utility in paying market rates for 1-ish win players. As I mentioned in the other nearly identical thread Dariel Alvarez has a better 2016 Steamer forecast.

1. Hole in RF and leadoff

2. Proved he's healthy last year despite the absence of power

3. Braves are terrible and might like to rebuild

4. 3/$33 is cheap as balls

5. Get a PA favorite back

Doubt they'll do it, and maybe the Braves value his veteranosity. But as long as we're getting the band back together and keeping the clubhouse guys like Davis and O'Day, shoot... might as well.

Baseballs used in ML games cost about $20 apiece. Prosthetic testicles can cost more than $2,500 each. Markakis is somewhat more expensive than balls. He's also about as mobile as a still-buried fossil.

Markakis has an established level of 1.5 wins. Assume half a win a year decline, so it's reasonable to assume that the rest of his career will be worth three wins, or a little over $21M.

Maybe today is 30% overpayment day, and it's fine to take on a 3/33 deal for three wins, plus whatever prospect(s) the Braves want.

But I still fail to see the utility in paying market rates for 1-ish win players. As I mentioned in the other nearly identical thread Dariel Alvarez has a better 2016 Steamer forecast.

Now that you put it that way, maybe you're right.

It would be kind of funny if we just got the entire 2014 team back at double the payroll. If Angelos can afford it, I must admit he would be an upgrade over what we got. I am OK with a replacement level OF along with the rest of the lineup we have. More worried about pitching. Is Bud available on a minor league deal?

Bud signed with Atlanta for 2.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived