Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

If Nick's power stays in the double range don't you think the same think will happen to him?

For the record I don't any of the options available either. I don't think very many fans do.

Most projections still have him hitting 30 doubles this year. That isn't getting the bat knocked out of your hands like the concerns about Rickard suggest is possible. However, I do expect that each successive year of the contract could bring diminishing returns. Hoes is 25 with some solid AAA numbers, but so far, he can't maintain them in the majors. Any blocked prospects who are better than ours?

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd take on Nick and his full 3/$33 mm if the player traded was someone with a very low ceiling.

Regarding Nick's throwing, I'll be interested to see if it's better this year. People forget that he wasn't able to work out at all during the 2014-15 offseason and had only about 10 days of spring training. To me it's very impressive that he played 156 games and posted a .290+ BA and a .360 OBP under those circumstances. Granted, his power (which hasn't been too great in recent years in any event) was sapped and his arm wasn't as strong, but I think we'll see both those aspects of his game rebound a bit this season, since he was able to have his normal offseason workouts. Even if I'm wrong about that, I think the OBP and consistency would be an asset for us.

All that said, there's no way it's happening and I'm amazed that the subject keeps coming up.

I had the same surgery Nick had. I'm amazed he could even throw a ball last year. I had my surgery in Sept 2014, and I just got to the point in the last 6 months where I could throw pain free or with any distance.

And Trumbo would be paid 9MM to be the short side of a platoon? Trading him would have to be a better option than that.

It's only a 1 year deal. You could sit Davis against some LH and start Trumbo at 1B. If you get Alvarez and Jackson cheap enough, it would negate some of Trumbo cost. And it strengthens the bench.

It's only a 1 year deal. You could sit Davis against some LH and start Trumbo at 1B. If you get Alvarez and Jackson cheap enough, it would negate some of Trumbo cost. And it strengthens the bench.

Can't imagine Trumbo would be very happy going into free agency only playing against lefties.

This is exactly what I was referring to. On what basis does your opinion and those of other Markakis detractors supersede the views of the major league coaches and managers who watched him play all year. Arrogance.

I think you're putting a little too much importance into Gold Gloves.

Palmeiro won a Gold Glove in a year ('99) when he only played 28 games at first base.

Honestly I am kinda at a loss why a certain percentage of posters have a need to take disagreements personally.

I guess this remark is directed at the comments I made about your posts relating to Markakis.. It's not a personal reaction to question the basis of remarks which lack factual basis and posit a degree of expertise that I believe none of us who write on this board possess. In assessing Markakis, all I can do is look at what the Birds otherwise might be stuck with in right field, and probably let some emotion that relates to Nick's Bird background color my judgement.

And I have no idea why you would place the weight you apparently do to defensive statistical systems that are in their infancy.

I think you're putting a little too much importance into Gold Gloves.

Palmeiro won a Gold Glove in a year ('99) when he only played 28 games at first base.

Oh, no, no, no! He was spectacular in everyone of those and he didn't hurt them in the ones when he was DH either.

I guess this remark is directed at the comments I made about your posts relating to Markakis.. It's not a personal reaction to question the basis of remarks which lack factual basis and posit a degree of expertise that I believe none of us who write on this board possess. In assessing Markakis' date=' all I can do is look at what the Birds otherwise might be stuck with in right field, and probably let some emotion that relates to Nick's Bird background color my judgement.

And I have no idea why you would place the weight you apparently do to defensive statistical systems that are in their infancy.[/quote']

I think it is a personal reaction to use some of the language you did.

Did I use derogatory language toward you?

But you felt a need to do so to me.

As for defensive metrics, they may not be right, but they are a lot better than the system that said Rafael Palmeiro was the best defensive first baseman in the American League in 1999. Or a 36 year old Jeter the best shortstop.

I think it is a personal reaction to use some of the language you did.

Did I use derogatory language toward you?

But you felt a need to do so to me.

As for defensive metrics, they may not be right, but they are a lot better than the system that said Rafael Palmeiro was the best defensive first baseman in the American League in 1999. Or a 36 year old Jeter the best shortstop.

Wait a minute! Now Jeter??? You sir ARE arrogant.

Archived