Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Why do we need less home runs? How does that make us better from a corner outfield slot. It's not like the Orioles have a shortstop hitting 30 bombs.

They have a 2B who challenges for the MLB lead, if not runs away with it, at his position if he gets 500+ at bats. I'll call it even.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have a 2B who challenges for the MLB lead, if not runs away with it, at his position if he gets 500+ at bats. I'll call it even.

His 79/9 SO/W ratio makes me very nervous about his ability to adjust once the pitchers adjust to him. I hope he proves my doubts were misplaced.

I'd take a guy who rarely homers but has a high OBP like Rickard. I think if the O's had someone like him or Fowler that we'd see more RBI's coming in early, and who doesn't like that? I think we need a guy who just puts the ball down the lines and can get on base, but can steal bases. If you think about it, Joey Rickard is essentially the poor man's unproven version of Dexter Fowler.

Dexter Fowler would be a better player if he was exactly the same except for 10 more home runs.

Not hitting homers is never a good thing. All else being equal you'd always take more homers, and all else not being equal guys with power typically have higher OBPs than those without.

Of course I'd be fine with a guy with no homers and a .400 OBP. But those don't really exist.

Well maybe not that, but how did guys like Gwynn, Boggs, or Molitor, manage it? They didn't hit many HR. Would they not do as well in today's game?

Dexter Fowler would be a better player if he was exactly the same except for 10 more home runs.

Well let's see ....ar the age 29 Fowler is in his most productive years. He is likely to be ramping upward the next few seasons.

He it 17 last season for the Cubs Home/ 11 / Away 5

According to this report from ESPN Camden is the 3rd most favorable. Wrigley is in the middle but it's .95 score is considered a pitchers park.

The Question is how many more would he hit in Camden and the AL East? I think he could hit 23-27.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/year/2015

Well maybe not that, but how did guys like Gwynn, Boggs, or Molitor, manage it? They didn't hit many HR. Would they not do as well in today's game?
Part of it was they hit .350. Or .370. Or .390 once in a while. With doubles. Molitor had 234 homers and 600 doubles. Boggs had 578 doubles. None of them had zero power, all had .100-.150 ISOs mostly in the pre-1990s era. But, still, nobody like that exists any more. Nobody hits for average anymore. The top 10 BA leaders since 1990 include Gwynn and Molitor, despite the fact both of them were in their 30s by the time the 1990s hit. Ichiro was good, but he was like no other in modern baseball. Joe Mauer for a few years. There are only 12 players since 2010 who've hit over .300 in 1000+ PAs, and Jose Altuve is the only one with an ISO under .150. Mauer is right at .300 with a .121. At least for now Wade Boggs is extinct. Why? My guess is a combination of relievers/strikeouts and better defenses.

It's not that outrageous. Brian Dozier and Robinson Cano were the only 2B to clear 20 homers last year, and Schoop was 2nd among 2B (if you set the min to 300 PAs) in ISO.

I'd be pretty surprised if Schoop did not hit 25+ homers in a healthy season this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked what I saw of Rickard yesterday. He looked very comfortable in CF, and got a great read of a ball hit behind him in the LCF gap and easily ran it down. I like his approach at the plate much better than David Lough's. I was pretty strong in cautioning that he would need to earn his spot rather than being handed it as our Rule 5 pick, but right now I think he's showing he can help the team.

I liked what I saw of Rickard yesterday. He looked very comfortable in CF, and got a great read of a ball hit behind him in the LCF gap and easily ran it down. I like his approach at the plate much better than David Lough's. I was pretty strong in cautioning that he would need to earn his spot rather than being handed it as our Rule 5 pick, but right now I think he's showing he can help the team.

I think Rickard is playing his way into a chance to be the O's left fielder if he continues to hit well. His range helps make up for some of Trumbo's lack of range.

I have read several positive comments about Kim's two hits yesterday but I don't see it. Both hits were infield hits that if hit against good major league fielders would not have been outs IMO. Kim has a long way to go to win the O's left field job IMO.

Trumbo looks better than I expected. He catches what he gets to. But its not hard to see his lack of range.

Archived