Miguel Gonzalez option available

srock

Or, you get Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop. I'd be happy to get someone with a 50% chance of becoming Miguel Gonzalez plus the $4.5 million we would save this year that could be spent elsewhere. That would be a good deal.

Also, I'm not saying that Gonzalez isn't good enough to play for the Orioles, I am saying that we have a young, cost-controlled player to replace him and we need to use the money we would pay him elsewhere.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, you get Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop. I'd be happy to get someone with a 50% chance of becoming Miguel Gonzalez plus the $4.5 million we would save this year that could be spent elsewhere. That would be a good deal.

Yep, maybe once every generation or two you get a guy on the verge of an unprecedented breakout for a middling starter. Usually you get Rocky Cherry.

Also, I'm not saying that Gonzalez isn't good enough to play for the Orioles, I am saying that we have a young, cost-controlled player to replace him and we need to use the money we would pay him elsewhere.

Maybe. Tyler Wilson had a lower strikeout rate for the Norfolk Tides than Gonzalez did for the Orioles. And after promotion Wilson had 13 strikeouts in 36 MLB innings.

But the Orioles would have Rocky Cherry and $4.5 million.

And a hole that you're proposing the Orioles fill with Tyler Wilson, who may or may not be an adequate MLB player. I guess it all comes down to what they do with the $4.5M. Do they put that in the cookie jar labeled "saving up for a $15M/year starter"? Or maybe "Jason Heyward fund"?

And a hole that you're proposing the Orioles fill with Tyler Wilson, who may or may not be an adequate MLB player. I guess it all comes down to what they do with the $4.5M. Do they put that in the cookie jar labeled "saving up for a $15M/year starter"? Or maybe "Jason Heyward fund"?

What if the $4.5 million means the difference between signing Scott Kazmir and JA Happ?

I'm always wary of the proposals to trade a guy we know isn't good enough for the Orioles but other teams like him a lot more so they'll give up an asset for a guy we don't want. I suppose that sometimes happens. But usually you'll get back a prospect who has a 50% chance of becoming Miguel Gonzalez in a few years.
I would not describe any of Ubaldo, Tillman, Gausman, or Gonzo as "sure things" except in the sense that they would start the season in the rotation if opening day was tomorrow. None of them are sure things to be any good or last the year in the rotation. I would expect that 3 of the 4 will at least be decent, but I could not say which ones. Gonzo and Tillman could have some trade value and will be making enough money that it could make sense to move one.

I like Tyler Wilson for the 5th spot. Just seems like he knows how to pitch. Consistent winner. Does not make too many mistakes.

If we bring in a free agent SP, you could make a good case for Tyler over Gonzo for that 5th spot.

I think Gunkel, Miranda, and Doyle ought to be on the list of possible SPs, albeit maybe not to start the year.

What if the $4.5 million means the difference between signing Scott Kazmir and JA Happ?

Replace Gonzales with Wilson and sign Kazmir.

Why not just keep Gonzales and sign Kazmir? Wilson is better suited as the 6th man anyway. He hasn't proven enough to put him any higher.

Is there really much difference between Happ and Kazmir? 2015 K/BB/HR rates similar, FIP and xFIP close. Kazmir has more of a history of success, but also several years where his arm fell off and needed to be reattached.

I also heard he's clutch, he digs deep when he needs it, he always gives 110%, and he likes puppies.
Because they are tender and perfect with nachos and cheese?

See how Gonzo looks in ST. If he comes into ST healthy.. but shows a further diminished FB, then it's on to plan B (whatever that might be). Just don't keep trotting him out there every 4th or 5th day and expect him to turn into CY.

See how Gonzo looks in ST. If he comes into ST healthy.. but shows a further diminished FB, then it's on to plan B (whatever that might be). Just don't keep trotting him out there every 4th or 5th day and expect him to turn into CY.

Do you think that MLB teams in general, or the Orioles specifically, are so poorly-run or deluded that they can look at an injured, struggling player in decline and see a Cy Young candidate?

Is there really much difference between Happ and Kazmir? 2015 K/BB/HR rates similar, FIP and xFIP close. Kazmir has more of a history of success, but also several years where his arm fell off and needed to be reattached.

Regardless of what the numbers say, I will be surprised if Kazmir doesn't have a higher AAV.

One of the problems with last year's starters was that there was not enough depth. By August Gonzalez's arm was sore, Wilson and Wright were injured. Davies had been traded. The O's need to add depth not trade one of their 4 best starters.

Wilson, Worley(remember him?), Wright will get their chances to make the team in ST. The O's could use a replacement for Chen. Maybe Kazmir but he will get plenty of offers.

I am not for trading away any of the four incumbent starters unless they bring back a better starter.

One of the problems with last year's starters was that there was not enough depth. By August Gonzalez's arm was sore, Wilson and Wright were injured. Davies had been traded. The O's need to add depth not trade one of their 4 best starters.

Wilson, Worley(remember him?), Wright will get their chances to make the team in ST. The O's could use a replacement for Chen. Maybe Kazmir but he will get plenty of offers.

I am not for trading away any of the four incumbent starters unless they bring back a better starter.

I remember Worley. He's the Pirates reject who has ordinary stuff and seems to lack durability.

The reason there wasn't enough depth was that only one of them was very good, and that was Chen. No team is going to be able to replace four struggling starters at once.

Archived