ST games are half over; There is room for optimism and concern

wildcard

You get to a point of diminishing returns, for instance the Yanks got Chapman but their bullpen was so good last year that they probably didn't get much stronger. The O's are in a similar situation.

I think so, too. It would be very hard for our bullpen to do noticeably better as a group than they did last year. I'm just hoping they enter the game with the lead more often than they did last year, and unfortunately, that's up to the starting pitchers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a chance that Avery sneaks in among the better stories. Reimold, Urrutia, and Alvarez have been very ordinary in Spring, and Avery's done well in limited time.

I think the injury set him back. His speed and the way he has hit this spring makes his a option for some time this season but he will have to start in the minors and prove he deserves a call up. I like the idea of Rickard, Jones and Avery in the OF late in games and maybe in KC.

I think so, too. It would be very hard for our bullpen to do noticeably better as a group than they did last year. I'm just hoping they enter the game with the lead more often than they did last year, and unfortunately, that's up to the starting pitchers.

I don't know. Last year pen was Britton, O'Day, Hunter, Brach, Matusz, Roe and McFarland if you look as most innings pitched.

This year Givens is probably better than Hunter. Bundy better that Roe or McFarland. Looks deeper with better talent to me.

I don't know. Last year pen was Britton, O'Day, Hunter, Brach, Matusz, Roe and McFarland if you look as most innings pitched.

This year Givens is probably better than Hunter. Bundy better that Roe or McFarland. Looks deeper with better talent to me.

Odds are Britton and O'Day regress a bit and Brach should regress rather more than a bit.

Odds are Britton and O'Day regress a bit and Brach should regress rather more than a bit.
I think Britton has found his mojo and continue to shine. O'Day has been rock solid for 4 years here, and has improved his ERA with every season. I doubt that will continue that trend, but that doesn't mean, I think he will regress. Not sure how you are basing your belief that Bach too will regress.

I think Britton has found his mojo and continue to shine. O'Day has been rock solid for 4 years here, and has improved his ERA with every season. I doubt that will continue that trend, but that doesn't mean, I think he will regress. Not sure how you are basing your belief that Bach too will regress.

You have three choices, improve, stay the same or regress.

Very few stay the same and the better you are the less likely you are to improve.

I am not saying Britton and O'Day will be bad, just that it is more likely that there is some level of decreased effectiveness.

Brach looks to me to be a prime candidate to regress significantly. His ERA+ the last three years, 108, 125, 152. His ERA was three quarters of a run below his FIP. I think the 2015 O's saw the best you are ever going to see out of Brach.

You have three choices, improve, stay the same or regress.

Very few stay the same and the better you are the less likely you are to improve.

I am not saying Britton and O'Day will be bad, just that it is more likely that there is some level of decreased effectiveness.

Brach looks to me to be a prime candidate to regress significantly. His ERA+ the last three years, 108, 125, 152. His ERA was three quarters of a run below his FIP. I think the 2015 O's saw the best you are ever going to see out of Brach.

fair enough

It may be a more talented staff, but last year's performance will be hard to beat. It's doubtful that Britton, O'Day and Givens will combine for a 1.73 ERA, as they did last year. You could see slippage from Brach, Matusz or both. Don't get me wrong, I expect our bullpen to be very good, as it has been for most of the last four years (2013 was so-so). But when you are performing at a very high level, there's more room to move down than there is to move up.

It may be a more talented staff, but last year's performance will be hard to beat. It's doubtful that Britton, O'Day and Givens will combine for a 1.73 ERA, as they did last year. You could see slippage from Brach, Matusz or both. Don't get me wrong, I expect our bullpen to be very good, as it has been for most of the last four years (2013 was so-so). But when you are performing at a very high level, there's more room to move down than there is to move up.

Spot on. I do think the team will have one of the top bullpens in baseball again, but better than before, that's tough. Hope so!

[video=youtube;aYSG8AQO3tw]

:)

Maybe if we brought someone in to pitch the first inning.

I don't think Gausman will be ready but we shall see. Six innings total and perhaps one more start. I guess he comes back if healthy in mid April.

From Roch:

"They said it usually takes 48 hours to kind of set in," said Gausman, who's made two spring starts and allowed three runs in six innings, with one walk and six strikeouts. "Even two days in I still had some symptoms and I was kind of worried, but now I've had three, four days of treatment. I feel like it really got better the last two days. With that said, I feel good about it. Excited to start throwing."

Archived