Naming rights.

weams

Folks might like OPACY, but when other teams are subsidizing their talent with $5M-$20 in annual naming rights, I am not eager to see the Os fall behind in this arms race.

Our owner and his business minions need to do everything possible to drive revenue to afford a better team, IMO. Naming rights is really low hanging fruit - revenue with relatively little in corresponding costs.

Is $3M a year worth calling OPACY something else? I don't know. That's probably increasing revenues by, what, 1.5% or something? But it is almost free money.

Let's say you make $100k/year, just for round numbers. What would you do for an extra $1500? Would you put a billboard in your yard? An ad on your car? How much would it take to do that?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is $3M a year worth calling OPACY something else? I don't know. That's probably increasing revenues by, what, 1.5% or something? But it is almost free money.

Let's say you make $100k/year, just for round numbers. What would you do for an extra $1500? Would you put a billboard in your yard? An ad on your car? How much would it take to do that?

Great franchises don't sell the name of their Yard. Good for the Orioles, Camden Yards is not just another ballpark. It's the sports' premier park.

Folks might like OPACY, but when other teams are subsidizing their talent with $5M-$20 in annual naming rights, I am not eager to see the Os fall behind in this arms race.

Our owner and his business minions need to do everything possible to drive revenue to afford a better team, IMO. Naming rights is really low hanging fruit - revenue with relatively little in corresponding costs.

Yes, but one has to remember the Orioles would a) have to pay the stadium authority x amount in a lump sum or b) pay 25% of total deal to me he stadium authority. Just like the Ravens did in 2002. That x amount will be more then $10m just based on inflation. So it could be numbers just don't justify it.

Great franchises don't sell the name of their Yard. Good for the Orioles, Camden Yards is not just another ballpark. It's the sports' premier park.

I think there is some value in the good feeling fans get from not selling the name of Camden Yards. But what is that good feeling worth? The Giants are great franchise and they sold the name of their excellent park. The Cards are probably the premier NL franchise and they sold out their stadium to their brewing overlords in the 1950s, even going around the NL to do it. It does seem that most of the historically prominent teams have avoided this. Other sports appear to have less of an issue with this.

• 5 weeks later...

Quite true. Especially since the Orioles own 75 percent of 20 percent of the Nationals media rights in perpetuity.

Anytime that I see that phrase, I think of the situation with the Spirit of St. Louis, from the A.B.A.

In 1976, after that team league ceased to exist following the A.B.A.'s merger with the N.B.A., the 2 owners of that team (Ozzie and Daniel Silna) got a deal in which they were given $2.2 million in cash up front, AND an additional 1/7 share of the four remaining A.B.A. teams' television broadcast revenues "for as long as the NBA or its successors continues in its existence" in return for the Spirits folding ...... essentially in perpetuity !!! :eektf:

The Silnas continued to collect their 1/7 share for 38 years.

Finally, in 2014, the Silna brothers reached a deal with the four surviving A.B.A. teams that still play in the N.B.A. ...... $500 million upfront from the former ABA teams (the Spurs, the Nuggets, the Nets, and the Pacers.) In return, the former ABA teams got majority stake in the Spirits of St. Louis Basketball Club, L.P., which will retain control of a portion of the TV revenue streams of the former ABA teams.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/09/nba-settles-perpetuity-deal-with-former-owners-of-aba-spirits/

PS: For the past 4 decades, each Silna brother has worn a ring that has IN PERPETUITY inscribed on it.

0518_dan-ozzie-silna_390-300x194.jpg

Famed ABA Owner Ozzie Silna Dies at 83; Made Vast Fortune Off of NBA

(ESPN.com News Services)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15416970/ozzie-silna-former-aba-owner-earned-millions-nba-dies-83

Archived