Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Players are upset that Gonzalez won't be a teammate this season. Chris Tillman couldn't hide it while taking questions from the media following his start. A few other Orioles said emotions were raw.

I can say that there isn't a nicer player in baseball than Gonzalez and the beat crew is going to miss him.

This is a business. Everyone gets it. He didn't pitch well last season or this spring - scouts and opponents noted the lack of movement on his fastball and how "hittable" he was - and there were durability concerns. The Orioles no longer believed he could have a bounce back season.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/03/dylan-bundy-its-fun-being-healthy-and-out-there-playing.html

Lot of you are upset that we are universally being predicted to finish last. It's our debacle of a rotation that's the reason. If we only had an average or slightly below average staff we'd be fine. Sadly we don't even have that.

I am finishing up my fantasy baseball research. The Orioles are the only team that doesn't have a single starter that I would consider drafting. So sad.

It's always sad to see a player let go. His "buyout" of $1,000,000 eases the pain a bit. It is becoming a tougher gig for players non-star players to be worth what they get via arbitration or negotiations to avoid it. The O's learned from Norris last year. Players have the right to leave a team and become FA's after reaching the requirements. Players get cut. It's a tough business for both players and teams.

Yes, well letting Gonzo try to work it out a bit longer in Norfolk would not have cost them anything except a few bucks. Pretty clear message to the rest of his teammates. When we think you are done, you are gone. And they are going to be paying a Korean guy 7 million to sit on the bench in Norfolk who has contributed zip now or then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, well letting Gonzo try to work it out a bit longer in Norfolk would not have cost them anything except a few bucks. Pretty clear message to the rest of his teammates. When we think you are done, you are gone. And they are going to be paying a Korean guy 7 million to sit on the bench in Norfolk who has contributed zip now or then.

He had issues the whole 2nd half of 2015.

Its a continual issue that doesn't sound like a few weeks in AAA would fix.

He had issues the whole 2nd half of 2015.

Its a continual issue that doesn't sound like a few weeks in AAA would fix.

Certainly not for 5 million. But they would try that probably for the minimum on a minor league deal. I get that the vast majority of opinion is that Miggy is done rather than hurt in 2015 and not having a good spring and that no improvement is possible. I hope Miggy proves us very wrong.

I think DD is not a very nice person. The Blue Jay fiasco last year. The way he is treating Kim and Gonzalez. The sending Chen to the minors last year. The Fowler thing where he wanted him to pay for the Orioles losing the pick. The way he has handled long time players like Markakis.

It is pretty easy to see whey he was out of baseball for so long. I don't really care what the results are anymore. Time to cut him loose after the season.

I think DD is not a very nice person. The Blue Jay fiasco last year. The way he is treating Kim and Gonzalez. The sending Chen to the minors last year. The Fowler thing where he wanted him to pay for the Orioles losing the pick. The way he has handled long time players like Markakis.

It is pretty easy to see whey he was out of baseball for so long. I don't really care what the results are anymore. Time to cut him loose after the season.

That is every free agent with a QO attached.

All of their contracts take into account the value of the pick the team has to give up.

Or at least they should.

I also have 0 problems with the way the Gonzo situation was handled. 3.8M is not chump change even for a MLB team and there isn't much of a reason to expect Gonzo to suddenly find his fastball. Maybe he can go talk to one of the "Gurus" that helped Kasmir and Colon. If anything I am glad they learned a lesson from Norris last season.

I think Gonzalez will pitch in relief and maybe even start for a ML team this year and sooner than later. Somebody will sign him for the league minimum or even higher. He's an injured pitcher or two away from a job. If he's really lost his stuff, then he may not stay in the majors all year, but he will get a chance somewhere.

I think Gonzalez will pitch in relief and maybe even start for a ML team this year and sooner than later. Somebody will sign him for the league minimum or even higher. He's an injured pitcher or two away from a job. If he's really lost his stuff, then he may not stay in the majors all year, but he will get a chance somewhere.

Watch him go to the Cubs and flourish. Wouldn't that be....ummmm.....entertaining. I also think he'll get another chance. I hope it's with an NL team so we don't have to face him if he puts it all back together.

I dont believe Gonzo is one of those that can pitch in relief role.

Lot of you are upset that we are universally being predicted to finish last. It's our debacle of a rotation that's the reason. If we only had an average or slightly below average staff we'd be fine. Sadly we don't even have that.

I am finishing up my fantasy baseball research. The Orioles are the only team that doesn't have a single starter that I would consider drafting. So sad.

I would have taken Gausman for $1 if I had one more roster spot. I got Schoop for $6 (the other O's fans in my league bid him up), Pedro for $1, Trumbo for $2, and JJ for $1. Britton went for $19, more than Kimbrel and Jansen.

this is becoming a Hallmark Card thread.

Its not like we're losing one of our best players, It's the guy who struggled big time in finding the damn strike zone, and has a declining fastball!

He was at best a number 5 starter... and might not be that on any other contending team.

If we are looking to "win now" then Miguel Gonzales is NOT part of that equation!

To quote a line from a famous movie...

"There's no crying in baseball!"

Check please!

Archived