Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

The release of Miguel Gonzalez wasn’t a popular move within the Orioles clubhouse, Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes, as Gonzalez was extremely well-liked by his teammates. There was “a lot of anger” about the move both yesterday and today, Ghiroli tweets, and “guys are upset, shocked by the whole thing.” The transaction has logic from a business perspective, as Gonzalez hasn’t pitched well and the O’s could recoup around $4MM of Gonzalez’s $5.1MM salary by releasing him now (or they could get the entire salary off the books if the righty is claimed by another team). Gonzalez also had a minor league option remaining, however, so Baltimore’s decision to release him instead of sending him to Triple-A “has to scare practically every player in that clubhouse,” as Encina writes.

MLBTR less than three hours ago

The drama continues...

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't treat Gonzales poorly. They gave him a chance and he couldn't produce. Chen was optioned to help the team, it's not Dan's fault that he reacted poorly. Dan signed Chen when MLB teams weren't knocking down his door. There was nothing "mean" about Fowler's negotiations with us. We offered him more money / years than the Cubs did. Markakis was offered a competitive 3 year deal, but chose to head to Atlanta for a guaranteed 4th.

Dan isn't perfect, but all of your points are complete hyperbole or flat out wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess whatever the club does is fine with you. Everyone says Chen was upset about the demotion. When you send your best starting pitcher to the minors he is bound to get upset. Also, I don't think you understand what hyperbole means. If I said DD was the worst GM in the history of baseball that would be hyperbole. Nothing I said comes close to hyperbole.

Could Buck have used this opportunity to intentionally strike some fear into the rest of this team? I mean, Gonzalez did not deserve a roster spot, but cutting ties with him despite having an option was completely

unexpected. Maybe he's trying to get everyone's attention and get them to play better particularly the pitching staff. It certainly had that effect on the rest of the team whether it was intended or not as far as

getting their attention. The "play better" part is yet to be seen. What a bizarre offseason this has been. Perhaps Buck is done playing Mr Nice Guy and playing favorites as Gonzo certainly fell into the "favorites"

category and we still don't know what's going to happen with Kim. Maybe things in the FO are as unstable as they appear to be and people are angry and desperate to make this team work. All speculation, of course,

but it gets harder to see it any other way as the days go by IMO.

Could Buck have used this opportunity to intentionally strike some fear into the rest of this team? I mean, Gonzalez did not deserve a roster spot, but cutting ties with him despite having an option was completely

unexpected. Maybe he's trying to get everyone's attention and get them to play better particularly the pitching staff. It certainly had that effect on the rest of the team whether it was intended or not as far as

getting their attention. The "play better" part is yet to be seen. What a bizarre offseason this has been. Perhaps Buck is done playing Mr Nice Guy and playing favorites as Gonzo certainly fell into the "favorites"

category and we still don't know what's going to happen with Kim. Maybe things in the FO are as unstable as they appear to be and people are angry and desperate to make this team work. All speculation, of course,

Ruling by fear always has an interesting dynamic, and the image of Buck Showalter as the Saddam Hussein of the American League has definitely made my day.

I dont understand the desire to send Gonzo to AAA, do people really think, he will have a Jake moment and figure out what was ailing him?

Highly doubtful he'd regain his speed, which is what, IMO, was the primary issue.

Ed Encina :

Caleb Joseph on Miguel Gonzalez release: 'It's a nasty business out there': Orioles...

Meritocracies leave little room for sentimentalism. I suppose the MLBPA could offer up reserve rosters to stash guys like Gonzalez while they try to work through problems, with the cost coming out of current salaries.

Per Chris Cotillo:

White Sox aggressively pursuing Miguel Gonzalez, who was released by Orioles. Marlins, A's, Blue Jays also in.

Seeing Gonzo in a Blue Jays uniform would certainly cast a pall over the season for me.

If he's trying to make a point or get their attention he'd do it with lesser piece.

I'd be looking forward to seeing him pitch for the Jays.

If it was next week me too. If it was after a 3-month stint in the minors where he regained his 2012-2014 form, not so much. I understand the O's decision and agree with it under the circumstances. I just don't think he's conclusively shown that his major league career should be over.

Archived