Bordick and the Koolaid

Roll Tide

What's a message board if we can't offer up opinions on things O's-related? Must everything be positive?

It's not like I want Bordick's dog to get run over or wish him any serious harm. I just don't like him as an announcer. As an O's fan, my enjoyment of the game is somewhat dependent upon who is calling it. I don't think it's all that unusual to discuss it.

And geez, "incite the hate?" I think that's a bit much. Notice that the only two people who used the word "hate" are the people complained about the thread. Funny.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a guy like Bordick, who did not have the most natural talent and surely had to work his arse off to get where he was, knows how hard the game is and is thus, is less likely to criticize players as others might be. But it is annoying when he reads the stats off the screen to me as if we can't read them ourselves.

I think a guy like Bordick, who did not have the most natural talent and surely had to work his arse off to get where he was, knows how hard the game is and is thus, is less likely to criticize players as others might be. But it is annoying when he reads the stats off the screen to me as if we can't read them ourselves.

I think it's kinda nice. Sometimes I'm working during a game. Or working out. Or just not glued to the TV screen for 3 consecutive hours. I find his commentary to be easily digestible.

Bordick has always been a bit overly positive, but he's pumped it up to new heights in the last couple games. Seems like more than half of the Orioles (and Twins, for that matter) have at some point in this series been described as "one of the best in the game today."

I'm sure that MASN loves the homerism just like many of the fans do. Homerism is okay to a point. Some don't even care if the announcer gets his facts wrong. Some do. I have no problem with the OP. Ubaldo had a 2.81 ERA in his first 17 games. He had a 5.63 ERA in his last 15. Calling him the Orioles most consistent starter either last year or overall (considering his 4.81 ERA in 2014) is just dumb.

Exactly. Homerism is okay to a certain extent. I'm an O's fan, I like to hear good things. I don't want an announcer ho-humming good plays for the O's just to appear neutral. Pour me some kool-aid.

It's when the positives get blatantly exaggerated, or facts are skewed to make things appear better than they really are that annoy me. Like I said earlier, don't insult my intelligence.

Bordick has always been a bit overly positive, but he's pumped it up to new heights in the last couple games. Seems like more than half of the Orioles (and Twins, for that matter) have at some point in this series been described as "one of the best in the game today."

Well, in fairnaess, isn't every single major league player, by definition, "one of the best in the game today?" :)

I like Mike Bordick as a human being. I think sometimes people think being critical all the time is all an analyst should be about.Lets remember a few things. One, for the record, Bordick is paid to be an analyst AND sometime instructor.He's more or less a member of the coaching staff and sees these players every day. He works with these players in the infield and at times even wears Oriole gear on the field hours before the game is played. So he ISNT objective, like say, Palmer might be. Two, he's just not a critical person, and his upbeat personality is just who he is.Sometimes its just not in the nature of an analyst to be hyper critical. Mike Bordick may not be the best color man in the game, not by a long shot, but he tries to be fair and fan friendly. I sometimes get frustrated when I think the situation calls for heavy criticism,and Mike is Mt. Sunshine, but its just who mike Bordick is.Does that mean he should be replaced? Obviously, the Orioles, who write the checks, are happy. He isn't going anywhere.

I agree with most of this (though I haven't met Bordick, and I'm guessing you likely have). I roll my eyes at some of his comments, as I mentioned in my other post above, but I think what he says is genuine to him and he seems like a likable guy. He's no Jim Palmer in the booth but he does have some insightful comments. I don't mind Bordick's broadcasts overall.

While watching the game last night Mike commented that Jimenez was the Orioles most consistent starter last year. These comments kill me as it's just not true.

Jimenez was very good the first half and he made 32 starts at a 4.+ era. His second half was not nearly as good.

However Chen was clearly the better and most consistent starter. He made 31 starts and pitched to a mid 3 era.

Hard to maintain respect when he is spewing stuff that just is not true.

**** Also in case you did not notice Chen had a rough 1st outing giving up 5 runs.

Seems this is nitpicking. If he was the second most consistent instead of the first he was only off by one. You might have too much time on your hand.

Well, in fairnaess, isn't every single major league player, by definition, "one of the best in the game today?" :)

Good point. I mean unless the guys is just terrible in the field or can't hit his weight. Suzuki is an above average fielding major league catcher who starts a ton of games and has had some productive seasons with the bat. Seems people on these Internet sports forums are overly critical of players in general.

While watching the game last night Mike commented that Jimenez was the Orioles most consistent starter last year. These comments kill me as it's just not true.

Jimenez was very good the first half and he made 32 starts at a 4.+ era. His second half was not nearly as good.

However Chen was clearly the better and most consistent starter. He made 31 starts and pitched to a mid 3 era.

Hard to maintain respect when he is spewing stuff that just is not true.

**** Also in case you did not notice Chen had a rough 1st outing giving up 5 runs.

Mike would do well to temper his enthusiasm for the O's at times, his pic should reside by HOMER in the dictionary. :laughlol: He is what he is I have no real issue with HOMERS.

Honestly Chen did OK here, but I am glad somebody else is paying that 80 mil. :D

Truly I think a lot of it just goes back to his role as instructor as well. You don't want to be publicly negative to guys who you're trying to teach.

He could def tone it down some though. Last night Davis got totally tied up by an inside breaking ball, and Bordick talked for about 30 seconds about what a great swing he took at it. It just gets a little silly after a while.

Bordick seems like a nice guy but he really is boring to listen to. I never feel like I learn anything new or "insider" about the game. In fact, I feel like he glosses over important things, especially when they could be negative. Part of it is that he is sitting in Palmer's seat, and Palmer is fantastic.

It's not the positivism people don't like. I think it's that we all know how smart and knowledgeable Bordick is, and yet every time we're in a spot to get some insight it gets glazed over with a heavy helping of sugar.

Most of us know when it's fair to be critical, or question a judgment or decision, or even just point out a mistake. On mic though it's just not in his nature to be honest with us and I think that's what bugs everyone. Everything is PR spin and saccharine-based opinions, which many of us can too easily call BS on. It's not a slight against Bordick as a person, we just don't always feel like we're getting it on the straight and level.

Archived