Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Worley looks more effective.
I didn't see the game at all. I was on an outing with friends in D.C. -- baseball isn't my only passion. So I came home late on the MARC train and found out what had happened. The guy has a bad outing, and people are already ready to consign him to the pen? Geez, Tilly had a bad outing a couple of starts ago -- put him in the pen? I don't think so. And just recently O'Day had a miserable outing -- put him in the pen as well. Ooops, O'Day is already in the pen. :D

Ubaldo isn't Chris Sale, we all know that. But he can be useful and win some games. Given the contracts that starting pitchers are getting these days, 4 years, 50M is a bargain. I'm sure that Ramon Martinez can knock some sense into his pitching in the coming days.

I didn't see the game at all. I was on an outing with friends in D.C. -- baseball isn't my only passion. So I came home late on the MARC train and found out what had happened. The guy has a bad outing, and people are already ready to consign him to the pen? Geez, Tilly had a bad outing a couple of starts ago -- put him in the pen? I don't think so. And just recently O'Day had a miserable outing -- put him in the pen as well. Ooops, O'Day is already in the pen. :D

Ubaldo isn't Chris Sale, we all know that. But he can be useful and win some games. Given the contracts that starting pitchers are getting these days, 4 years, 50M is a bargain. I'm sure that Ramon Martinez can knock some sense into his pitching in the coming days.

I'd settle for Ubaldo Jimenez circa 2013. He doesn't get better the more you defend him.

o

24 OUTS: 10 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 6 Strikeouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Thrown Out Stealing

UBALDO JIMENEZ GARCIA O (vs. ATHLETICS, 5/07) O [Game Two]

IP:l 8

H:;; 9 ll(1 Double, 8 Singles)

R:l) 2

BB: 1

SO: 6

Pitches: 104 (68 Strikes, 36 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.54

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (71 Strikes, 6 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

91 (51 Strikes, 4 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

18 (13 Strikes, 5 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (51 Strikes, 5 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 6 Balls)

Good Ubaldo + Bad Ubaldo = an average, .500-ish pitcher with durability. Suited well for the #3 or #4 role. This hasn't really changed from last year. With Tillman and Gausman that gives us 3/5 of a rotation.

I'm in favor of getting one more guy. We don't know how Gallardo will do when he returns and all three of Wright/Wilson/Worley have endurance issues.

We have 4 strike throwers in the rotation. And then we have Ubaldo. I can't stand watching him pitch.
Yep, Ubaldo was just terrible tonight. He only pitched 8 innings and he actually walked one batter and struck out 6. Whadda bum!!! :D;)

I'd settle for Ubaldo Jimenez circa 2013. He doesn't get better the more you defend him.
Yep, he's a terrible bum. He did awful tonight, he walked a batter and only struck out 6. Worse, he gave up 2 whole runs. I have finally seen the great light of your wisdom. :rolleyestf::rolleyes:

Seriously, it was a delight to be at the game and watch our Orioles and their starting pitcher dominate the opponent.

One thing I noticed before Ubaldo did his bullpen warmup was seeing Ubaldo in center field with (I believe; I couldn't see clearly) Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti and/or perhaps Ramon. Ubaldo was going through his mechanics under their watchful eyes. As I've said, I did not attend the White Sox game and didn't see the game on TV. However, having read all the comments about his horrible game here and on Facebook, I gather that -- not wanting to repeat that horror -- he was getting together with the pitching coaches to clean up his mechanics so that he could pitch the way that he did during tonight's game against the A's. It was later on, he did his usual warmup in the bullpen before the game.

I also noticed that, at the beginning of the game, he was not striking out a lot of batters (nor was he walking them either). He was inducing ground ball outs and was quite efficient at that and it helped lower his pitch count. If a pitcher strikes out a batter, he has to use at least 3 pitches. When a pitcher induces and ground or fly out, he only has to use 1 pitch. His fastball was OK, but his splitters were nasty.

I'm not saying that this one start (plus one or two others) means that he has become the absolute Ace of the O's pitching staff. Any more than I would say that one horrible start means that he needs to be put in the pen or DFA'd and released. He has a tricky delivery which isn't going to be radically changed at this stage of his career, though it can be tweaked. He has a solid work ethic and will work to improve. So on his good days, I will be enjoying his efforts.

And I'm still the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

Yep, he's a terrible bum. He did awful tonight, he walked a batter and only struck out 6. Worse, he gave up 2 whole runs. I have finally seen the great light of your wisdom. :rolleyestf::rolleyes:

Yeah, he pitched well. And that's why it's frustrating. I would suggest your rosy view of things doesn't represent reality. If he can be more consistent then I'd believe he has value. As it stands, he was good yesterday.

Good Ubaldo + Bad Ubaldo = an average, .500-ish pitcher with durability.

This states pretty close to what I think. And I've always said he has some of the best stuff on the staff. With those mechanics it's always going to be difficult to repeat his delivery. He doesn't throw 95 any longer so the WHIP is tough to manage if he's putting guys on base.

Yep, he's a terrible bum. He did awful tonight, he walked four batters and only struck out 1. I have finally seen the great light of your wisdom. :rolleyestf::rolleyes:

You said it. I ftfy too. Only 12 base runners through 4 IP.

Like I said, consistently inconsistent. His mechanics suck. Bet it's hard getting people to sign up for your fan club on days like this.

You said it. I ftfy too. Only 12 base runners through 4 IP.

Like I said, consistently inconsistent. His mechanics suck. Bet it's hard getting people to sign up for your fan club on days like this.

You know, I bet if they ran him back out there for the sixth, he'd have a quality start.

Archived