Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

I'm going to keep asking. What the hell were the O's doing not getting Ubaldo back to his 2015 mechanics? He's reverted back to 2014. And he has no idea where anything is going. His WHIP is awful. And aside from pitching against terrible teams...he's been terrible.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You said it. I ftfy too. Only 12 base runners through 4 IP.

Like I said, consistently inconsistent. His mechanics suck. Bet it's hard getting people to sign up for your fan club on days like this.

I don't have to worry about signing anyone up for the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club. Because I have you there in the club, supporting your absolutely favorite pitcher. :D

I thought we were going to be really lucky if he lasted three innings last night, but he hung in there and was able to keep the game within reach. That seemed like a professional pitching job there, kept battling even though he was clearly struggling with command last night.

It was ugly, but I give credit to Ubaldo for not letting this game get out of hand.
What is 'out of hand'? I suppose looking at the bright side is fine.. but you have to admit, he had no idea where his pitches were going, and that double play in the 2nd or 3rd was a stroke of incompetent hitting on the Tigers side.

Why not give the credit to where it belongs... the offense, and the bullpen for holding the fort.

What is 'out of hand'? I suppose looking at the bright side is fine.. but you have to admit, he had no idea where his pitches were going, and that double play in the 2nd or 3rd was a stroke of incompetent hitting on the Tigers side.

Why not give the credit to where it belongs... the offense, and the bullpen for holding the fort.

I think out of hand is something like 6-7 runs in the first 4 IP when he allowed 12 baserunners.

I don't like Buck's reasoning to put Ubaldo back out there for the 6th. Don't care if he got a 1-2-3 inning or not.

I think out of hand is something like 6-7 runs in the first 4 IP when he allowed 12 baserunners.

I don't like Buck's reasoning to put Ubaldo back out there for the 6th. Don't care if he got a 1-2-3 inning or not.

That error was just unfortunate by Manny, to the #9 hitter no less. Turned the lineup over. Ubaldo was very close to making it to a quality start with his worst stuff. Balancing good and bad Ubaldo, hopefully he can keep his era around 4.

That error was just unfortunate by Manny, to the #9 hitter no less. Turned the lineup over. Ubaldo was very close to making it to a quality start with his worst stuff. Balancing good and bad Ubaldo, hopefully he can keep his era around 4.

I have zero confidence that Ubaldo will have anything resembling an above average season, unfortunately. His mechanics are completely out of whack this year.

I don't see much evidence that Ubaldo is pitching any worse than he did last season. His Hard% is up a tick, but nothing to explain the .370 BABIP (his LD% is actually down). And his HR/FB is actually up above last years (which was already a tad high). His Zone% is down, but only a tad. Looks like hitters have just had some good luck hitting balls outside the zone against him. I would expect him to revert to 2015 Ubaldo before I see him crashing back to 2014 levels.

I don't see much evidence that Ubaldo is pitching any worse than he did last season. His Hard% is up a tick, but nothing to explain the .370 BABIP (his LD% is actually down). And his HR/FB is actually up above last years (which was already a tad high). His Zone% is down, but only a tad. Looks like hitters have just had some good luck hitting balls outside the zone against him. I would expect him to revert to 2015 Ubaldo before I see him crashing back to 2014 levels.

His walk rate is really bad right now. He's had *2* starts out of 7 where he's walked less than 3. He's had 4 starts where he walked 4.

In those starts that he walked 4?

5 IP, 5 IP, 4 2/3 IP, 5 IP

In those 4 starts? He allowed 16 earned runs. 27 hits.

27 hits and 16 walks in those 4 starts. 43 baserunners in 19 2/3 IP.

He has the highest WHIP of his career at 1.721. This is well over his career of 1.369. His hit rate is through the roof.

Basically he's getting into deep counts and either walking the guy or throwing it down the pipe. He doesn't know where the ball is going.

His walk rate is really bad right now. He's had *2* starts out of 7 where he's walked less than 3. He's had 4 starts where he walked 4.

In those starts that he walked 4?

5 IP, 5 IP, 4 2/3 IP, 5 IP

In those 4 starts? He allowed 16 earned runs. 27 hits.

27 hits and 16 walks in those 4 starts. 43 baserunners in 19 2/3 IP.

He has the highest WHIP of his career at 1.721. This is well over his career of 1.369. His hit rate is through the roof.

Basically he's getting into deep counts and either walking the guy or throwing it down the pipe. He doesn't know where the ball is going.

Would explain part of the issues with his BABIP.

Archived