Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He 'sailed' a lot of pitches. It's like he's not in control & really doesn't have a clue where the pitch is going. Of course, that's his style of pitching, if you can call it that.

Maybe it was just me, but It seemed his pitches & Dickey's pitches were similar in end location.

Overall, a frustrating game to watch. Defense bailed pitchers out & after the 1st inning O's couldn't buy a run. All's well that end's well though.

I have to defend him a bit. I was at the game. Ubaldo didn't have his stuff tonight. But even if he walked a few guys, he struck out plenty of Blue Jays to get himself out of some jams. Then there was that lovely double play. Ball hit hard, Ubaldo just raised his mitt, caught the ball, calmly threw it to 3rd base for the double play.

Yes it was ugly. Pitching against the BJs can get ugly in so many ways. The ump seemed to have a tight zone and somewhat inconsistent (for both teams), so nibbling won't work for two reasons, hitters can afford to be patient and the ump isn't going to give you a close pitch. One thing about UJ, he can somehow step it up and get the needed K and get out of innings. 2 runs in five is better than 3 in 6 IMO. Yes it can wear out the bp, again the BJs can do that. A win is a win.

Rogers Communications might own the Toronto Blue Jays, but Ubaldo Jimenez owns their murderers' row.

Josh Donaldson, Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion are three of the most feared hitters in the game. Last season, Donaldson’s first in Toronto, the trio combined for 120 homers (plus an MVP award) and headlined an offense that led the majors in scoring, tallying over 100 runs more than the next closest team.

ESPN http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/681/ubaldo-jimenez-has-cheat-code-for-blue-jays-big-three

Yes it was ugly. Pitching against the BJs can get ugly in so many ways. The ump seemed to have a tight zone and somewhat inconsistent (for both teams), so nibbling won't work for two reasons, hitters can afford to be patient and the ump isn't going to give you a close pitch. One thing about UJ, he can somehow step it up and get the needed K and get out of innings. 2 runs in five is better than 3 in 6 IMO. Yes it can wear out the bp, again the BJs can do that. A win is a win.

Ubaldo was the unsung hero of the game.

I have to defend him a bit. I was at the game. Ubaldo didn't have his stuff tonight. But even if he walked a few guys, he struck out plenty of Blue Jays to get himself out of some jams. Then there was that lovely double play. Ball hit hard, Ubaldo just raised his mitt, caught the ball, calmly threw it to 3rd base for the double play.

He walked four, in 5 IP. It's too many. And the DP? He made a nice grab but rushed the throw and Manny caught the ball not more than a foot off the ground. He threw way too many pitches because he was constantly behind batters in the count facilitating an early exit.

Archived