Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

This.. 2 first round picks for our shallow farm system for Ubaldo and 87-89 fastball Gallardo. It's looking pretty ugly and there's a few more years to go, which most likely won't get much better.

A few more years? Ubaldo and Gallardo have next year and done right?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might sound crazy but I saw some good things from Ubaldo tonight. What he's got to realize is he doesn't have to throw every batter every pitch he has in every at bat. Establish the fastball, get ahead and make these guys defensive at the plate then start mixing in the secondary stuff. Let's face it, we don't have a lot of alternatives here. They're pretty much going to have to try to make it work with this guy and I think he can be better with an improved approach.

It might sound crazy but I saw some good things from Ubaldo tonight. What he's got to realize is he doesn't have to throw every batter every pitch he has in every at bat. Establish the fastball, get ahead and make these guys defensive at the plate then start mixing in the secondary stuff. Let's face it, we don't have a lot of alternatives here. They're pretty much going to have to try to make it work with this guy and I think he can be better with an improved approach.
I'm beginning to think that another stint in the bullpen might be good for Ubaldo. He has lost command of his fastball, and that negatively affects his other pitches. Wallace, Chiti, and Ramon hopefully can get him straightened out again. :rolleyestf:

Your analogy suggests we get someone else to fix the personnel situation, yes?

Well, in this analogy YOU are the general manager, so it is possible you should remove yourself from the situation.

The larger point is, don't fall into the sunken cost fallacy. Signing X bad FA pitchers doesn't mean that the next one will be a bust. The key is to figure out why the last ones failed. Was it bad luck? Their ages? The type of pitcher they were?

DD needs to stop signing FA pitchers.

Not just pitchers

Has DD made a single good muliti year deal?

Ubaldo - Bust

Hardy - Bust

Yoon - Bust

Wada - Bust

Ryan Webb - Bust

Gallardo - Bust

Kim - Bust

Chris Davis - We will regret it sooner than later

Darren O'day - We will really regret it

Meanwhile the core stars of the team Machado, Schoop, Britton are not extended and continue to march towards FA and exit from Baltimore

Archived