Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

Would explain part of the issues with his BABIP.

That would show up in the hard hit percentage though, which has barely ticked up. And if he "didn't know where the ball was going" wouldn't he be throwing significantly more balls than last year?

I'm not saying he's not pitching worse than last year, just that he's pitching better than his numbers this year.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would show up in the hard hit percentage though, which has barely ticked up. And if he "didn't know where the ball was going" wouldn't he be throwing significantly more balls than last year?

I'm not saying he's not pitching worse than last year, just that he's pitching better than his numbers this year.

Not knowing where the ball is going would mean that he is trying to hit the inside corner, but it's center cut. The old control vs. command. In addition to his mechanics being terrible and he's walking a lot of guys.

Not knowing where the ball is going would mean that he is trying to hit the inside corner, but it's center cut.

I understand the argument. I'm saying wouldn't that lead to an increase in hard hit percentage?

It could. Or it could mean that there's a scouting report out on him to shorten up your swing if the ball is moving from in to out. If he doesn't have as much movement down or not much movement in general, you can get better contact and in effect higher BABIP.

The BABIP will normalize a bit. But his fastballs have not been good this year. Aside from his split.

His walk rate was 3.3 last year. It was 5.5 in 2014. It's 4.4 this year. I could definitely see 2014 Ubaldo as a possibility. I'd rather watch Tyler Wilson give up 5 runs in 6 innings and watch Ubaldo give up 3 runs in 6. I can't even watch him pitch. He's unwatchable for me.

I agree. It's hard watching him pitch. I'm surprised everybody in the field doesn't fall asleep waiting on him to throw a strike.

His walk rate was 3.3 last year. It was 5.5 in 2014. It's 4.4 this year. I could definitely see 2014 Ubaldo as a possibility. I'd rather watch Tyler Wilson give up 5 runs in 6 innings and watch Ubaldo give up 3 runs in 6. I can't even watch him pitch. He's unwatchable for me.

Best thing to do with Ubaldo is skip watching the first two innings. Often he settles down by the third inning or so, and if he doesn't you can just turn it off again.

Last night I turned off my radio in frustration when he loaded the bases in the 2nd inning, only to find out he induced a DP.

Cano will homer 4 times in the first inning as the mariners bat around repeatedly.
I'll take your bet....

Am quite comfortable with the under. Thanks for setting the expectations! LOL

Now see, right there, that is what I am talking about. Thanks to Malike, we get to feel good we only gave up 2 runs in the first. It's almost like we are ahead already!!!!!

Archived