Pedro Martinez calls out O's fans on MLB tonight

LarryBigbie

They drew 23,000+ yesterday on a Sunday, when lo and behold it was sunny and nice, albeit cold. If it had been in the 50's or 60's at game time, I've no doubt you would have seen another 5,000+ there. Not a lot of places across the country with baseball teams put up with the constant yo yo weather like in this part of the country, where one game it's 60's and 70's and two days later it's in the 40's with rain. That impacts people, be it in choice of lifestyle or psychologically. When the weather starts to get consistent, the people will be more likely to show up, then it's a matter of how the team is doing.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They drew 23,000+ yesterday on a Sunday, when lo and behold it was sunny and nice, albeit cold. If it had been in the 50's or 60's at game time, I've no doubt you would have seen another 5,000+ there. Not a lot of places across the country with baseball teams put up with the constant yo yo weather like in this part of the country, where one game it's 60's and 70's and two days later it's in the 40's with rain. That impacts people, be it in choice of lifestyle or psychologically. When the weather starts to get consistent, the people will be more likely to show up, then it's a matter of how the team is doing.

I've heard that 23,000 number a few times and don't believe it. That's basically half full, right? It didn't look half full, but I could be wrong. I was guessing attendance was in the mid to upper teens yesterday.

And even with another 5,000....isn't that still sad for a sunny Sunday afternoon game during the first homestand of the season? Would that have happened 20 years ago?

Yesterday's forecast had been decent (sunny) for a few days. Obviously it wasn't warm, but it was very very pleasant and tolerable.

I was there with my 9 yo daughter for 5 hours and she loved every minute of it.

Personally, I'd take yesterdays weather any day over 95+ and humid with no air moving in July. Are we going to hear the same weather excuse then?

I've heard that 23,000 number a few times, and don't believe it. That's basically half full, right? It didn't look half full, but I could be wrong. I was guessing attendance was in the mid to upper teens yesterday.

And even with another 5,000....isn't that still sad for a sunny Sunday afternoon game during the first homestand of the season? Would that have happened 20 years ago?

Yesterday's forecast had been decent (sunny) for a few days. Obviously it wasn't warm, but it was very very pleasant and tolerable.

Personally, I'd take yesterdays weather any day over 95+ and humid with no air moving in July. Are we going to hear the same weather excuse then?

That was the paid attendance for the game.

They always announce the paid attendance, regardless of the no-shows. Anything else would be an estimate, and they don't announce the estimates. Every team does this, not just the Orioles.

There could be 500 people in the stadium, but if 30,000 tickets were sold for that game, that is what the official attendance is, and that is what is announced and recorded.

That was the paid attendance for the game.

They always announce the paid attendance, regardless of the no-shows. Anything else would be an estimate, and they don't announce the estimates. Every team does this, not just the Orioles.

There could be 500 people in the stadium, but if 30,000 tickets were sold for that game, that is what the official attendance is, and that is what is announced and recorded.

That's what I was thinking.....tickets purchased and not butts in seats. Steve Davis kept throwing out that number as if 23,000 were at the game and I never heard him mention the difference between sold and in attendance. They also didn't mention the additional draw of Kids Opening Day, which was quite noticeable. If there was no promo yesterday.....would they have even had 10,000 in the stands?

Either way, in my own opinion, it was a sad showing considering it was the first Sunday game of the season, chilly or not.

Let me ask this, if weather was the culprit all week, wouldn't we have seen a spike yesterday with the first sunny and remotely decent day of the week?

That's what I was thinking.....tickets purchased and not butts in seats. Steve Davis kept throwing out that number as if 23,000 were at the game and I never heard him mention the difference between sold and in attendance. They also didn't mention the additional draw of Kids Opening Day, which was quite noticeable. If there was no promo yesterday.....would they have even had 10,000 in the stands?

Either way, in my own opinion, it was a sad showing considering it was the first Sunday game of the season, chilly or not.

Let me ask this, if weather was the culprit all week, wouldn't we have seen a spike yesterday with the first sunny and remotely decent day of the week?

You define in the 40's as decent, when the normal high is 15-20 degrees higher then that?

I've heard that 23,000 number a few times and don't believe it. That's basically half full, right? It didn't look half full, but I could be wrong. I was guessing attendance was in the mid to upper teens yesterday.

As I said in one of the other attendance threads, who cares what attendance was "fill in the year" ago? Camden Yards isn't five years old anymore. The Orioles literally rode the Camden Yards novelty wave for almost a decade.

Completely spurious reasoning, but I play on a trivia team every week, and a guy actually backed out last week because it was "still too cold to come out." If people can come up with that kind of reasoning on far less expensive things, doesn't it stand to reason they can use the same spurious reasoning for far more expensive things like going to a baseball game?

First of all I've been to 3 of the 5 games. I only went to game two because I had free tickets in the 3rd row behind the dugout for FREE at the last second. It was freezing! Allot of people are making a big deal over yesterday's attendance as well, it was freezing! Yesterday's attendance was also affected by Saturday's bad weather in that many local community baseball organizations moved their opening day ceremonies from Saturday to Sunday and the O's were expecting many of those same families for the "Kids Opening Day promotion."

We hear this same argument every year and to me it has no merit. The weather has sucked, the kids are in school, and we have played two very low profile teams. The TV experience at home, to some, is a much more attractive option. The summer the crowds will be back at the Yard. Who cares what Pedro Martinez thinks anyway?!

You define in the 40's as decent, when the normal high is 15-20 degrees higher then that?

The skies were clear, sun was shining, and it wasn't windy. It wasn't cold enough to whine about the weather, that's for sure. I feel bad for anyone who didn't go yesterday because they thought it would be too cold. Overall, the weather was very pleasant. I think anyone who was there would agree with me. It wasn't bad at all.....I didn't say it was warm, I didn't say it was perfect, but yeah, I absolutely do think it was "decent".

The skies were clear, sun was shining, and it wasn't windy. It wasn't cold enough to whine about the weather, that's for sure. I feel bad for anyone who didn't go yesterday because they thought it would be too cold. Overall, the weather was very pleasant. I think anyone who was there would agree with me. It wasn't bad at all.....I didn't say it was warm, I didn't say it was perfect, but yeah, I absolutely do think it was "decent".

I went to the game yesterday, where I was sitting it was very cold. Look, this is baseball, not football. People like to go to the game, enjoy the weather and the atmosphere and allot like to take their kids. They are 81 games to choose from and probably 60-65 of them will be warm weather games. This isn't football where there are 8 games and you know you are gonna have to bundle up for them. I don't know how you fault people for not going to a game where the weather is in the 40's when they can sit at home and watch it on TV. This stuff is so overblown and I've been to 3 games.

I went to the game yesterday, where I was sitting it was very cold. Look, this is baseball, not football. People like to go to the game, enjoy the weather and the atmosphere and allot like to take their kids. They are 81 games to choose from and probably 60-65 of them will be warm weather games. This isn't football where there are 8 games and you know you are gonna have to bundle up for them. I don't know how you fault people for not going to a game where the weather is in the 40's when they can sit at home and watch it on TV. This stuff is so overblown and I've been to 3 games.

I did all of that yesterday. My 9 year old 54 pound daughter and I were inside the park from 11:35 to the last out. I knew the forecast and we dressed appropriately. The temperature was not an issue for us. I will say the temperature dropped noticeably when the shadow started to fall, but again, we were prepared. I've been waiting for baseball for 6 months and I was tickled to be there. My daughter loved every minute of it and it was her favorite game to date....we talked baseball the entire ride home, and once we got home, she chewed my wife's ear off about it for a solid half hour. It is what you make it, I suppose.

I did all of that yesterday. My 9 year old 54 pound daughter and I were inside the park from 11:35 to the last out. I knew the forecast and we dressed appropriately. The temperature was not an issue for us. I will say the temperature dropped noticeably when the shadow started to fall, but again, we were prepared. I've been waiting for baseball for 6 months and I was tickled to be there. My daughter loved every minute of it and it was her favorite game to date....we talked baseball the entire ride home, and once we got home, she chewed my wife's ear off about it for a solid half hour. It is what you make it, I suppose.

I did not find it cold yesterday but i am from upstate NY. Many people in my section disappeared around the third inning. I guess they were in the concourse. Many people were in the concourse. Attendance that was in the stadium looked to be about 17,000.

Also i have called the Orioles about this but why do they keep running out of towels in the Men's bathroom in the later innings. Bad enough the water is freezing cold. But the Orioles won and everyone their got a free Denny's Grand Slam. Who can complain? Orioles are undefeated.

Also i have heard from some people that won't go to night Oriole games anymore. But i think it is a very small percentage.

Archived