Orioles may not activate Matusz until Thursday in Texas

Crazysilver03

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> considering a 2-3 IP outing on Monday at Bowie before activating him off DL.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">April 9, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> considering a 2-3 IP outing on Monday at Bowie before activating him off DL.</p>? Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">April 9, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not quite sure what the purpose of stretching him out is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it seems odd to try to stretch him out. Guess it has to do with one of the long relievers being sent out to make room for Matusz when the time comes.

Also seems odd they wouldn't activte him for the Red Sox series if he was ready to go.

After TJ's performance last night and before I saw this plan for Matusz, I wondered whether Buck was considering stretching TJ into a stopgap starting role when the schedule ramps up, maybe limiting him to 4 or 5 innings, making Matusz all-purpose non-closer BP lefty. It could be that Buck is using the extra days with Matusz on the DL to help give him that option. :scratchchinhmm:

Going 3 innings would be odd. But 2 innings would be normal. Buck likes to get his relievers in spring training to have at least one outing of multiple innings and at least one appearance on back-to-back days. Matusz didn't get a full spring training.

My guess is that they are willing to skip the back-to-back but still want him to get the multi-inning appearance. I wouldn't read into it more than that.

Archived