Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(vs. INDIANS, 5/28)

Trumbo's 3 hits (2 doubles and 1 single) was one of the few bright spots in the Orioles' 11-4 loss.

His first double was inches from being a homerun. He was scuffling in Houston, but has had some good swings in Cleveland.

Still predicting an OPS under .800 by the end of the season, although 30 home runs is looking like a foregone conclusion. The dude is not missing the inside half pitch for the most part.

Lat year (2015) only 142 players had enough AB/PA's to qualify for the batting titles (3.1 PA,s per team game). Of those 142, only 46 had an OPS of .800 or better. That leaves Trumbo in the mix with 96 of these players.

This under .800 OPS included:

Jayson Heyward which got him a 8 yrs/$184M contract

Justin Upton which got him a 6 yrs/$132.75M contract

Gerardo Parra which got him a 3 yrs/$27.5M Contract

Dexter Fowler which got him a 1 yr/$13M Contract with an Option Year.

Jay Bruce which has a one year plus option that is paying him $13.5m.

The Orioles are paying Mark Trumbo on a one year deal worth $9.15 m. I will take the .800 OPS at that price which seems to be a bargain.

Comparing Heyward to Trumbo on defense is almost like comparing Alvarez and Machado.

Was comparing the overall OPS not the defensive ability/liability. Heyward's defensive is speed/legs driven which will fade by the end of his contract. Heyward 27 years of age, Trumbo is 30 years of age. Trumbo is a 1B/DH by design, Heyward is an Outfielder. Tough to get a COMP on defensive measures with the difference in position/out of position play by each individual player. I wonder what Heyward's defensive WAR Value would be if he was placed a 3B or SS???(out of position)

Was comparing the overall OPS not the defensive ability/liability. Heyward's defensive is speed/legs driven which will fade by the end of his contract. Heyward 27 years of age, Trumbo is 30 years of age. Trumbo is a 1B/DH by design, Heyward is an Outfielder. Tough to get a COMP on defensive measures with the difference in position/out of position play by each individual player. I wonder what Heyward's defensive WAR Value would be if he was placed a 3B or SS???(out of position)

If you are comparing term of contracts you need to look at more than the OPS.

The driving factor of the Heyward contract wasn't his bat.

If you are comparing term of contracts you need to look at more than the OPS.

The driving factor of the Heyward contract wasn't his bat.

The COMP was for a player with an OPS of .800 or below and what that offensive ability could net in a free agency year or trade year. I also know that the age of Heyward had a lot to do with his contract. As a defensive player Heyward would be light years ahead of Mark Trumbo but as an offensive middle of the order bat I do not think Heyward will ever fit the bill for that.

I know you and i agree on several issues and disagree on others but I have trouble figuring out when you are trying to yank my chain or are being serious about an issue. I do enjoy the banter since you do not get into a personal attack but seem to be more inclined to be searching for the reasoning of my opinion. Good Times.

(vs. RED SOX, 6/02)

Trumbo hit his 16th home runs of the season.

Last season, Trumbo didn't hit his 16th HR until August 21st.

SOURCE: Eddie Matz, ESPN Sportswriter

Another one gives Trumbo 17.

According to the NESN broadcast, Trumbo's 1st home run went 441 feet, and his 2nd home run traveled 458 feet.

Archived