Should Orioles Trade For Sonny Gray? (Astros should be talking To Oakland according to photog)

section18

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both the 2014 and 2015 versions of it.

You know me. I pay no attention to the d metrics. He's good no matter. Anyway I passed. There is no deal here. And there never was. Unless Billy wants to make a Donaldson mistake with him.

How so? Gray actually has a better career ERA on the road (2.70) than at home (2.99).

Because if he were somewhere else other than Oakland, those home numbers would not be so stellar. And Paul, you and I both know that ERA is not the only thing to look at. It's a nice place to pitch. And certainly has enhanced his status as an ace pitching there.

1. Your WAR valuations are debatable.

2. Extra year of control and opportunity to extend on the cheap.

3. *Might* be able to. At that level it comes down to team preference, so despite what fans want there is no real right or wrong determination. Just what teams value.

1.) I just stole 'em from FanGraphs

2.) Def more of an opportunity to extend Gray than Machado--agreed.

3.) I might be a fan and subject to the bias that comes along with that but I don't think any GM in their right mind would value a potential hall of fame, power hitting, SS/3B that has yet to hit his prime the same as a very good pitcher who could very easily be this year's Fernandez, Harvey, Strasburg, Pineda. That extra year of team control is a moot point if you lose a year to injury. It's not a sure thing of course, but the odds are much higher than Machado suffering another season ending injury.

3.) I might be a fan and subject to the bias that comes along with that but I don't think any GM in their right mind would value a potential hall of fame, power hitting, SS/3B that has yet to hit his prime the same as a very good pitcher who could very easily be this year's Fernandez, Harvey, Strasburg, Pineda. That extra year of team control is a moot point if you lose a year to injury. It's not a sure thing of course, but the odds are much higher than Machado suffering another season ending injury.

If his medicals match what was publicly disseminated.

I think you'd have teams on both sides. When you reach rarified air the trades stop becoming a matter of comparative WAR.

Because if he were somewhere else other than Oakland, those home numbers would not be so stellar. And Paul, you and I both know that ERA is not the only thing to look at. It's a nice place to pitch. And certainly has enhanced his status as an ace pitching there.

OK, so which stats are you looking at? Because they're better nearly across the board on the road. He has a higher strikeout rate (8.1 to 7.4), lower HR rate (0.43 to 0.83), lower OPS against (.587 to .619), and all four of his career shutouts have been on the road. About the only thing that's worse on the road is his walk rate.

So what's the support for your theory that Gray would become a worse pitcher away from Oakland?

I don't understand why the A's would want to trade him he has almost 4 years of team control. I think trading for Gray is aiming to high for what we have in trade-able prospects.

I wonder what it take to get Erasmo Ramirez? Tampa needs to make room for Blake Snell and they have 5 good starters. They need to move someone good. We should be there to help them.

I think if we sent Mancini, Gunkel and a few other guys over, then we get Sunny Grey. I doubt we do that, but it could happen.

That package could perhaps get Sunny Grey, who is not a person that exists. For Sonny Gray, you will need to start with Gausman, Schoop, Harvey, and others just to get the A's to answer the phone.

Archived