Joey Rickard is the real deal

Diehard_O's_Fan

First off I don't recall anyone saying he is poor.

Secondly, yea they are in trouble defensively in the outfield.

Poor memory? Check out post #6 this thread "But he can't really throw, defend, walk or hit for power. He's kind of a one dimensional player."

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After Jimmy Paredes straight up raked for 1/3 of last season before looking like he was swinging a dead fish for the last three months of the season, I'm not going to make any major assessments of Rickard's long-term ability at the plate. He's hot right now and there is probably not much of a book on him. He's taking advantage of it and helping us win games in the present, so I'll ride that train while he's rolling. He's only drawn two walks, but he has shown a good eye at the plate and worked pitchers deep into counts.

Defensively, you can't teach speed or hustle and he certainly has both. He's probably relied on his speed too often throughout his career as an outfielder and that's hurt his development in reading balls off the bat. At worst, he's the outfield equivalent to Flaherty and I'm satisfied with that.

He probably hasn't played enough at any one position to get completely acclimated.

Nah I mean, it's fine to call me out on poor word choice or whatever. It's just the endless semantics and dissecting of every single piece of what someone writes around here drives me nuts. I'd love it if there was an OH space other than the game thread where we could just kind of free-jive without the constant threat of analysis and debate.

There is the rant forum.

And some of us come here for analysis and debate.

I don't think he's "very good" and I don't think he's "bad". He's looks like an average defender to me, with the ability to get to above-average.
Last night (Wednesday against the Jays), Joey reached for a fly ball and missed. Ooops! But he ran for the ball, gunned it from left field and got the Blue Jay out at the plate. The reasons the fans (including myself) love him is because of his hustle.

Haha, I don't really think the rant section is what I'm looking for. And I come here for a bit of debate and analysis, too.

Just saying, shouldn't there be some reasonable gray area where it's not really necessary to constantly be like, "WELL ACTUALLY"? It's exhausting. I would hope you don't think I think Joey Rickard could be an elite defender, but now I have to try and convince you of that because I lazily said "a lot" instead of, like, "a bit".

But sure, I could see how that's fun.

The problem is too many argue by Hyperbole. Rickard can field, can't throw, Kim can't hit, etc. That's useless. Precise statements with some reasoning or analysis makes for better discussions.

Whoops, I didn't know that this thread had been hijacked by an argument over semantics. :confused:

So I'm going to re-hijack it and talk about Joey Rickard. I love the guy, I love his hustle, I love how he ran out the ground ball in the 10th inning and turned it into a single. Though Caleb scored the winning run (he was hustling too), Joey Rickard was named the Player of the Game. And the fans continue to chant "Joey! Joey!" No deep analysis here, just a fan expressing joy at watching a favorite player. :smile11:

Whoops, I didn't know that this thread had been hijacked by an argument over semantics. :confused:

So I'm going to re-hijack it and talk about Joey Rickard. I love the guy, I love his hustle, I love how he ran out the ground ball in the 10th inning and turned it into a single. Though Caleb scored the winning run (he was hustling too), Joey Rickard was named the Player of the Game. And the fans continue to chant "Joey! Joey!" No deep analysis here, just a fan expressing joy at watching a favorite player. :smile11:

And now he's showing off the "Big League Chew" :cussing:

Buck raved about his defense all spring, especially his routes to the ball.

I think Joey Rickard is a good defensive outfielder, but we've haven't seen it yet entirely. Adjustments to the ballparks, the second and third decks, and big league crowds and play in general are all still happening, IMHO.

Buck raved about his defense all spring, especially his routes to the ball.

I think Joey Rickard is a good defensive outfielder, but we've haven't seen it yet entirely. Adjustments to the ballparks, the second and third decks, and big league crowds and play in general are all still happening, IMHO.

Would you rather have Snider, De Aza or Para back?

Archived