April 23rd at Seattle

McNulty

He should have been at least 3/4 to third. That ball was a HR in any other park and Ibanez doesn't have that great of an arm.

You go half way on that play, and Ibanez hit the cutoff like he was supposed to there.

My problem with Huff on the play is that he should have steamrolled the catcher.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If no one comes to watch the O's at home this season... they have COMPLETELY brought it upon themselves. I almost hope that NOBODY shows up to the home games... because this team doesn't deserve fans right now...

I can understand that the team is rebuilding and they won't be very competitive as far as wins go... but to play dumb baseball like this??? I feel like I've been watching a re-run of one game for the past 10 years.

That's over the top. Scott effed up in the field and Huff effed up on the bases. Both of them are guys who are around for their slugging ability, not their speed or defense. By far the biggest problem with this game has been the terrible umpiring.

I'm just watching on mlb.tv, but did Huff get the stop sign and he just ran through it or what? Jones was like right behind him after 2nd and had to go back to 2nd cause I guess he thought Huff was going to stay at 3rd

I think Huff decided to go for it right after Jones realized there were about to be two runners on 3rd base. Perfect storm of idiotic baseball.

What the heck happened?!?!

Huff on 2B, AJ on 1B, Ramon smokes one that may or may not get out of the park. OF'er goes back on the ball... Huff does *not* play halfway between 2B and 3B but instead retreats to 2B like he's gonna tag up on it. The ball bounces off the wall because the OF'er can't get back in time, and Huff is kinda late getting to 3B because he went back to 2B and because he runs like, well, like Huff. He's rounding the bag about when the OF'er throws it, and he's out at the plate. It's not clear to me what Samuel told him to do, but it is clear that, on his way from 3B to the plate, Huff looks back over his shoulder because of, um, well, I can't imagine why. Meanwhile, somewhere in the midst of the carnage, AJ goes back to 2B from almost-3B, presumably on the theory that Huff might be smart enough to not go home and would therefore need 3B for himself.

I think that's about it...

We need side-by-side multiple camera angles on that play...one on the ball and one on Huff.

How do you not score on a ball off the wall when you're on second?

It was a high fly ball, and it hit the wall and didn't bounce away from Ibanez. He picked it up and hit the cutoff man right away.

Come on people... it may be rare to see a runner not score from second on that play, but give the M's some credit for a textbook example of how to hit the cutoff and nail a runner.

You go half way on that play, and Ibanez hit the cutoff like he was supposed to there.

My problem with Huff on the play is that he should have steamrolled the catcher.

Not if you're paying attention to the game and you realize that you're in one of the largest parks in MLB. He easily could have made it back from 3/4. Especially because Ibanez was going to collide with the wall anyway.

Thanks rshack. I was really confused for a while there because everyone was upset but no one said what actually happened, LOL ;)

And I think some infield practice and baserunning practice is going to be happening tomorrow with these guys. DaveT must be BOILING right now. :eek:

Huff does *not* play halfway between 2B and 3B but instead retreats to 2B like he's gonna tag up on it.

I'm fairly certain this isn't true. He was halfway, and Jones was right next to him when the ball dropped. The problem is that Huff couldn't win a footrace with Sid Fernandez.

That's over the top. Scott effed up in the field and Huff effed up on the bases. .

Two of our "veterans". Plus Ramon's gem last night. For as long as I have been old enough to understand.. the games have gone exactly like last night's game, and tonight's game (so far). I think I need to take a break for a month or so from O's baseball... it's been wearing on me for too long.

Archived