Janish up: ? down

wildcard

There seems to be some discussion about what Janish's role will be when he is called up. I say he will be the utility infielder. Manny stays at SS until Hardy returns. Flaherty is the O's 3rd baseman until Hardy returns.

Janish maybe be a good SS but he is not better than Manny at SS. And Manny wants to play SS. End of story for me.

Flaherty hits better than Janish. Many will say that Flaherty does not hit well and I will not argue that fact. But if you think Flaherty is a poor hitter, Janish is worse. That is why Janish could not get a major league contract and why he spends time at AAA until someone gets hurt.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will see but I think Manny is the Big Dog and will play where ever he wants until Hardy comes back. Buck can tell Manny that the team is better with Hardy at SS and Manny at 3rd so Manny should stay at 3B.

But its a hard sell for Buck to tell Manny that he can't play SS because Janish is called up from the minors. What Manny wants, Manny will get. At least until Hardy returns. IMO

“That’s the thing with Manny when he and I were talking. I just don’t want to go back and forth with Manny. I want him to concentrate on shortstop and play that until J.J. (Hardy) gets back potentially. That’s one way to look at it. Or you play third and don’t think about shortstop anymore. And I think that’s the conclusion we came to talking to him is I don’t want to start going back and forth. And even though he’s played a lot of shortstop in the shift and played a lot in his career, it’s a different preparation and I think you need to have respect for the player’s preparation to play a position on a given night.”http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/05/orioles-prefer-keeping-chris-davis-at-first.html

Sounds to me like he wants to keep Manny at 3B.

Guesswork at this point. I'll go with:

1) Manny wants to play SS and the difference between Janish SS/Manny 3B or Manny SS/Flaherty 3B is negligible so Manny plays SS

I don't know... Janish is a tremendous SS, but Flash will probably hit more. Toss up I would think.

Not enough to make up the difference IMO. Janish is probably the better SS over Mnny, right now

I agree, not a ton difference in their offenses. I'm betting Buck goes with the stronger defense, MM/Janish.

So a catcher shouldn't attempt to throw out someone stealing if they believe a pitch is strike 3? I disagree with that logic. The ump blew the call, not Wieters' fault. I have seen umpires call strike 3 in that situation making the throw to catch the runner irrelevant.

It was the way he stood up as the pitch was coming in which made it impossible. Trust me as an ump if you do that we can not see where the ball is. I just can't assume it was a strike therefore its a ball. Matt knew what he did wrong hence no argument.

I disagree, I think Janish will be the primary SS and Manny the 3B.

This is a great way to push Manny out the door. Its one thing to have to play 3B because big money Hardy is at SS but to say no you have to play 3B for Janish is bordering on the insane.

Players remember these things come contract time. Case in point Chen getting demoted.

This is a great way to push Manny out the door. Its one thing to have to play 3B because big money Hardy is at SS but to say no you have to play 3B for Janish is bordering on the insane.

Players remember these things come contract time. Case in point Chen getting demoted.

Yea, Chen not staying with the O's didn't have anything to do with the O's not bothering to make him an offer past the QO.

There is just no point in Janish being on the team. He's a career .574 OPS man. That is flat out unacceptable on an AL East roster. You cannot play on this team and hit like that period.

Even if he can play SS well Manny can play it better. Janish is 33 years old anyways the defense could go at any time if it hasn't already. And the funny thing is we hear he's a great defensive shortstop. Well who the hell cares? He's can flash some leather, but let's be real he's no Hardy or Machado. They savage Janish with the leather out there.

There is just no point in Janish being on the team. He's a career .574 OPS man. That is flat out unacceptable on an AL East roster. You cannot play on this team and hit like that period.

Even if he can play SS well Manny can play it better. Janish is 33 years old anyways the defense could go at any time if it hasn't already. And the funny thing is we hear he's a great defensive shortstop. Well who the hell cares? He's can flash some leather, but let's be real he's no Hardy or Machado. They savage Janish with the leather out there.

Nobody is Manny but Janish is a comp for Hardy.

Archived