Some thoughts at the 1/6 mark

Frobby

For everyone saying Jones is playing hurt, I have a question. Was he hurt the 2nd half of last year too? AJ has not looked good at the plate in a long time.

Yes, he was playing through his injury and never did get it quite right hence he only played in 17 games in September and only 137 of 162.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6th in runs/game, 2nd in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS, 1st in OPS with RISP. What exactly were you hoping for?

If you look at any 25-30 game segment, you're going to find guys who are hot and guys who are cold. Overall, the offense is about as good as should have been expected.

Runs per game can be misleading with this team. They'll get totally shutdown for multiple games and then explode for a ton of runs to balance it out.

And that doesn't happen to other teams? (aside from the Cubs and the Braves)

If the Game Results graph on Baseball Reference in any indication, high-scoring and low-scoring stretches happens to every team every year.

Even if the Orioles' current situation was outside the norm, I'll take an erratic 16-11 times 6 any time.

Jones is the major issue offensively' date=' in my mind. If he can get back to career normals, we'll be fine.[/quote']

Jones has been even worse than his slash numbers suggest. He is now tied with Dustin Pedroia for the MLB lead in GIDP, with 8, in three fewer games. With his speed I don't think he will challenge Jim Rice's all-time record of 36, but I think he should be dropped further in the order until he finds his swing.

6th in runs/game, 2nd in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS, 1st in OPS with RISP. What exactly were you hoping for?

If you look at any 25-30 game segment, you're going to find guys who are hot and guys who are cold. Overall, the offense is about as good as should have been expected.

The offense is fine. Second in OBP? That's impressive considering the approach of this team in past years.

The offense is fine. Second in OBP? That's impressive considering the approach of this team in past years.

The approach is much improved. Newcomers Trumbo, Alvarez, Kim, and Rickard ALL work the count well. Reimold always did and he is back playing part time. Manny has improved significantly in his approach.

We are a much different team than we used to be in that regard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think that the Orioles have a good chance to be at least 32-22 or better by the 1/3 mark.

Based on the fact that I said so.

The Orioles are 4-1 since the 1/6 mark.

22 more games until the 1/3 mark.

The Orioles are 4-1 since the 1/6 mark.

11 more games until the 1/3 mark.

I think you mean 22 games to the 1/3 mark (54 games). No matter what the mark, the team is playing well. If the rotation can keep this up I have no doubt we are contenders.

Runs per game can be misleading with this team. They'll get totally shutdown for multiple games and then explode for a ton of runs to balance it out.

No. All teams have ups and downs. It's the total that counts. And there have been no 23 run games for the is team to skew anything.

Please don't worry about this team hitting. It's the Yankees and Rays you'll have to worry about.

The approach is much improved. Newcomers Trumbo, Alvarez, Kim, and Rickard ALL work the count well. Reimold always did and he is back playing part time. Manny has improved significantly in his approach.

We are a much different team than we used to be in that regard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's been fun.

I think you mean 22 games to the 1/3 mark (54 games). No matter what the mark, the team is playing well. If the rotation can keep this up I have no doubt we are contenders.

Yes, I did.

Thank you.

Corn was right: the Gallardo signing was a disaster, plus we lost our pick and no Fowler

Matusz is still a one-dimensional lefty that can only be used in low pressure situations, no clue why he was resigned last year or this year

Wright still looks like a bullpen arm

Jones is playing hurt

Not signing Latos looks real bad. Seeing Arietta, Rich Hill and Jason Hamel dominate is also quite depressing.

We have razor thin SP depth in the minors.

Pedro Alvarez off to a very slow start.

The good?

Bundy isn't hurt

Gausman has looked good

Trumbo

Manny on fire as usual

Our bullpen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat Latos is going to regress...he's K/9 is below 5 and is running a FIP of 4.46. He's been very fortunate...

Arrieta..yeah that sucks. But if Rich fing Hill has you upset than I don't know what to tell you. He's become awesome...he failed multiple times this isn't the O's. Jason Hammel became the pitcher he did with the O's and most people weren't clamoring to resign him (I would have loved him to come back)

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the Orioles have a good chance to be at least 32-22 or better by the 1/3 mark.

Based on the fact that I said so.

They didn't finish the 1/3 mark at 32-22.

They finished the 1/3 mark at 31-23.

Next time, just shut up and watch the games.

Archived