Why does Big Sloppy always get a free pass?

dscola

It does seem like he gets the 'beloved grandpa' treatment from many, where no amount of bad behavior will earn him criticism. I wonder how different things would be if the nickname bestowed upon him all those years ago wasn't so endearing.

Seems like a media and Boston thing in general.

Brady/Ortiz/Hernandez/Rondo/etc...

Only when the behavior is bad enough to require jail time, does the press stop the love-fest

ESPN, Bristol Connecticut

Because he's a fat, ugly slob. Seriously. Look at how many people hated Tom Brady even before deflategate. When from all indications he was a stand up guy.

Ortiz illicits no jealously from anybody. He's just good at baseball and has nothing else going for him. No supermodel wife, has a belly, face only a mom could love, a jerk, horrible style, etc

There is nothing to envy about him.

Compare that to Harper, Machado, Bautista, etc.

Oh, does the Sunday Night Baseball crew love Ortiz.

So does John Sterling.

After Ortiz hit his 2nd home run of the game last night, Sterling said multiple time that Ortiz should not retire, that he is still that good of a hitter. And he was very gushing and assertive in saying so.

Because he's a fat, ugly slob. Seriously. Look at how many people hated Tom Brady even before deflategate. When from all indications he was a stand up guy.

Ortiz illicits no jealously from anybody. He's just good at baseball and has nothing else going for him. No supermodel wife, has a belly, face only a mom could love, a jerk, horrible style, etc

There is nothing to envy about him.

Compare that to Harper, Machado, Bautista, etc.

Bautista is a handsome guy to you? I know this may come as a shock, but skinny people can be ugly, smelly AND lazy too?

He plays for the media's favorite team and he has a flair for the dramatic.

Yankees are the media's favorite team. And plenty of guys have a flair of the dramatic like Machado, Bautista and Harper. Problem is they're young men who haven't gotten themselves into deplorable shape. Everybody detests the squared away asshole who gets all the girls and was always everyone's favorite. Nobody is threatened by a guy who looks like Ortiz. I mean if you're under 40 and have a potbelly you're just screaming to the world that you've given up.

Bautista is a handsome guy to you? I know this may come as a shock, but skinny people can be ugly, smelly AND lazy too?

Didn't say he was handsome at all. Just saying that he doesn't look like he's given up. And he's not skinny. Dude is 195 pounds of muscle. That's called jacked.

I actually listened to the radio broadcast of last night's game. ESPNRadio just straight up lied or is clueless. About Ortiz: "Tested more than anyone else and never tested positive"

...umm do they forget he tested positive in 2003? And that the Players Union confirmed he did?

I actually listened to the radio broadcast of last night's game. ESPNRadio just straight up lied or is clueless. About Ortiz: "Tested more than anyone else and never tested positive"

...umm do they forget he tested positive in 2003? And that the Players Union confirmed he did?

Why is he tested more than anyone? Because he is in the protocol.

Archived