Time to DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Dodgers offered Carl Crawford for Ubaldo straight up, would you want the Orioles to take that deal? That's the only way I can see the Orioles getting rid of Ubaldo. It would have to be for an equally bad short-term contract.

I'd rather DFA Matusz since it's a smaller bite to swallow.

Something else about the situation... the 2014 FA starting pitching class was atrocious.

Matt Garza - 4 yr, $50 mil

Ubaldo Jimenez - 4 yr, $50 mil

Ricky Nolasco - 4 yr, $49 mil

Jason Vargas - 4 yr, $32 mil

Scott Feldman - 3 yr, $30 mil

Phil Hughes - 3 yr, $24 mil

Bronson Arroyo - 2 yr, $23.5 mil

Tim Hudson - 2 yr, $23 mil

Scott Kazmir - 2 yr, $22 mil

Bartolo Colon - 2 yr, $20 mil

Hiroki Kuroda - 1 yr, $16 mil

A.J. Burnett - 1 yr, $16 mil (declined 2015 option)

Dan Haren - 1 yr, $10 mil (vesting option not met)

We were clamoring at the time for the Orioles to sign a front-line starting pitcher (we still are), but it might have been better off if they signed nobody that year. The "big" winners were Oakland with Scott Kazmir -- a signing at the time that many thought was ludicrous.

He will be fine. He just needs to get his mechanics right. As bad as he is pitching he is still giving them some innings

Famous last words for every pitcher who gets DFA'd. Starting pitchers aren's supposed to figure out how to get their mechanics right- do that in the minors or on a rehab assignment.

I don't see the team DFA'ing Ubaldo with another year left on his contract. Add to that there is no one in the minors that is making a case for being in the big league rotation.

He is just an inconsistent pitcher and will have good and bad starts. Hopefully more good going forward. Gallardo will likely be even worse unless he is able to rediscover his fastball.

I didn't see the 5 run inning but after that he actually pitched well. Looked like

they have a bunch of well place bloops and what not. I think Ubaldo will

go on a hot streak with the warmer weather

But seriously who will be the first player to be DFA'd. Seems we are carrying a lot

of dead weight. Here is my order:

1. Matusz (completely worthless)

2. Kim ( I love the hustle/attitude but he can't hit or field at ML level. Alvarez would make us a better team than Kim)

3. Gallardo (can't hide him on the DL forever)

4. Pedro Alvarez (Parades will have a higher WAR with Toronto)

DD DFA'd 20+ million of salary last year

He's going to have to DFA close to that this year

Why not just sign Chen or Latos or Leake??

Miranda hasn't contributed at the major league level. Janish has a noodle bat, but great defense. Alvarez doesn't look good (yet).

Davis was a great signing? After bidding against ourselves? I like him and glad he resigned by saying that is a great or astute signing is questionable.

Davis was a great signing? After bidding against ourselves? I like him and glad he resigned by saying that is a great or astute signing is questionable.

I'm not a huge fan of the Davis signing. I'd have much rather resigned Cruz last year and let Davis walk. I think the negotiations with Davis were terribly handled. Guessing Angelos intervened here, but whatever. I think it's a bad contract, but he will at least be effective for a few years (maybe 4-5 if we are lucky).

I have two thoughts about Ubaldo. One: you can't quit on him (unless someone out there is willing to pick up a large piece of his salary, which seems inconceivable, and maybe not even if that were the case). He represents, after all, a proven talent in an area where there's desperate need, as well as a lot of sunk costs. Two: right now, you can't hand him the ball every fifth day without doing serious harm to the Orioles' pennant/playoff chances. You have to try, and then try harder, and then try something different, to figure out how to fix his lack of command and get him working on it. In the near term, I'd rather have his place in the rotation taken by anyone -- T.J., Gallardo, Matusz, Worley, a committee of Bundy, Matusz and someone else, Jason Garcia, Parker Bridwell, Chris Lee, Phil Coke, Mo'ne Davis, Henry Wiggins, Casey the Robot from the Twilight Zone. I would hope that gap needs to be filled only temporarily, and that someone, somehow, can get Ubaldo ramped up to mediocrity or better.

I'm not a huge fan of the Davis signing. I'd have much rather resigned Cruz last year and let Davis walk. I think the negotiations with Davis were terribly handled. Guessing Angelos intervened here, but whatever. I think it's a bad contract, but he will at least be effective for a few years (maybe 4-5 if we are lucky).

Agreed. Saying Davis an achievement isn't true. Or at least too early.

DD has ridden Buck's curtails IMO. He deserves criticism for these contracts. His track record is not good in free agency.

Archived