Let Nolan Play

theobird

I am not saying he should play everyday but trying to say his defense is at bad as any other left fielder is a complete joke.

It's not enough sample for me to make any hard conclusions, but from my own viewpoint Rickard gets bad first steps, takes questionable routes, glides to the ball way too much, and his arm is a little below average. All in all, a likely well below average package without improvement.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This year is the best I have seen Nolan look in the field.

Sustainable?

Who knows?

I've noticed this as well, offensively, defensively, and baserunning. Reimold just looks to be in tremendous shape, and athletically he's as explosive as he's ever been.

I vote more Reimold in RF (or Left if that's what Buck prefers). Less Alvarez at DH.

It's not enough sample for me to make any hard conclusions, but from my own viewpoint Rickard gets bad first steps, takes questionable routes, glides to the ball way too much, and his arm is a little below average. All in all, a likely well below average package without improvement.
How can you see his first steps on TV? by the time the camera cuts to the OF he has already taken them. Do you go to all the games and watch off ball as Buck does?

How can you see his first steps on TV? by the time the camera cuts to the OF he has already taken them. Do you go to all the games and watch off ball as Buck does?

Not all of the games, but I do go to a lot of them and my seats are directly behind the left fielder. I've also watched a lot of breakdown clips from various sources outside of that.

Buck also said Trumbo isn't that bad and Delmon Young was a solid outfielder too. I don't take him at his word much.

Not all of the games, but I do go to a lot of them and my seats are directly behind the left fielder. I've also watched a lot of breakdown clips from various sources outside of that.

Buck also said Trumbo isn't that bad and Delmon Young was a solid outfielder too. I don't take him at his word much.

And he plays Flash out there, and Alvarez at third.

How many games have you been to this year and where can I find these breakdown clips?

It's not about what Buck says, it's what he does. He wouldn't play Joey if he didn't think his defense was any good? So are you saying your evidence puts you in a better position to judge, or do you think Buck is deluded?

Where can I find these breakdown clips?

It's not about what Buck says, it's what he does. He wouldn't play Joey if he didn't think his defense was any good? So are you saying your evidence puts you in a better position to judge or do you think Buck is deluded?

I think Buck is infatuated with Rickard just a bit and although I don't think Rickard is bad defensively at this point, he does put Flaherty and Trumbo out there. They're not good defensively.

I think Buck is infatuated with Rickard just a bit and although I don't think Rickard is bad defensively at this point, he does put Flaherty and Trumbo out there. They're not good defensively.
Romantically? What does that mean? He likes his jokes? Buck seems to me to be a pretty level headed baseball guy. Maybe I'm missing something. But I think if Buck thought Reimold or Kim were as good defensively he would play them. That's his job. Flaherty is a better defensive 3B than Alvarez, and a better hitter than Janish v RHP, that's why he plays him. If you want both TruMbo and Alvarez' bat in the lineup, one of them has to play defense even if you'd rather neither did.

I said all offseason that OF was a bigger need than even starting pitching

Trumbo at 1B, let Davis walk, and sign a Cespedes, Upton, Heyward or Fowler

and maybe a Rasmus, Gordon as well and the team would have had some balance

now with Jones quickly declining defensively and offensively we are looking at needing

three OF'ers next offseason

It's time to have that talk with Adam that he is not a CF'er anymore. I wonder if not being

able to offer Fowler CF had something to do with him not accepting the three year deal.

At least we have those 5 top 100 picks to get lucky with... oh wait

How many games have you been to this year and where can I find these breakdown clips?

It's not about what Buck says, it's what he does. He wouldn't play Joey if he didn't think his defense was any good? So are you saying your evidence puts you in a better position to judge, or do you think Buck is deluded?

I was at the Seattle day game a week or so ago. I watched Joey Rickard take his first step in on multiple fly balls that went over his head. Including the Adam Lind home run. Extremely small sample size, obviously, but just an example.

I said all offseason that OF was a bigger need than even starting pitching

Trumbo at 1B, let Davis walk, and sign a Cespedes, Upton, Heyward or Fowler

and maybe a Rasmus, Gordon as well and the team would have had some balance

now with Jones quickly declining defensively and offensively we are looking at needing

three OF'ers next offseason

It's time to have that talk with Adam that he is not a CF'er anymore. I wonder if not being

able to offer Fowler CF had something to do with him not accepting the three year deal.

At least we have those 5 top 100 picks to get lucky with... oh wait

AJ's defense looks fine to me. I can't think of a single bad play he's made this year, and a couple of excellent ones. He saved O'Day last night getting a great jump on a ball hit about 420 directly over his head. Fowler has been a negative dWAR guy his whole career and is the same age as AJ so if AJ in CF stopped him from coming here maybe that is a blessing in disguise.

I was at the Seattle day game a week or so ago. I watched Joey Rickard take his first step in on multiple fly balls that went over his head. Including the Adam Lind home run. Extremely small sample size, obviously, but just an example.

I actually thought the Lind home run was a routine fly ball because I watched Joey Rickard take 2 steps in on it before turning around and watching it fly into the stands.

Really? What's your point? You were watching Rickard instead of the ball? And how many times did he get a bad jump? Every time? Half of the time?

Romantically? What does that mean? He likes his jokes? Buck seems to me to be a pretty level headed baseball guy. Maybe I'm missing something. But I think if Buck thought Reimold or Kim were as good defensively he would play them. That's his job. Flaherty is a better defensive 3B than Alvarez, and a better hitter than Janish v RHP, that's why he plays him. If you want both TruMbo and Alvarez' bat in the lineup, one of them has to play defense even if you'd rather neither did.

Yes, infatuated because of Rickard's performance in spring training which so far is not translating to regular season games after the initial hot streak. Also, I meant he plays Flaherty in the outfield. He is NOT good by any

stretch in the outfield and neither is Trumbo. If we're talking infield as well, neither is Alvarez. Point is Buck is playing guys in the outfield who aren't good defensively, so just because they play there doesn't mean they are

good defenders. Young wasn't either. The difference between Reimold/Kim and Rickard defensively doesn't seem to be nearly as big a gap as the one for offensive production is. Overall, Reimold is certainly better and Kim

has shown in his limited time that he is as well until proven otherwise.

Yes, infatuated because of Rickard's performance in spring training which so far is not translating to regular season games after the initial hot streak. Also, I meant he plays Flaherty in the outfield. He is NOT good by any

stretch in the outfield and neither is Trumbo. If we're talking infield as well, neither is Alvarez. Point is Buck is playing guys in the outfield who aren't good defensively, so just because they play there doesn't mean they are

good defenders. Young wasn't either. The difference between Reimold/Kim and Rickard defensively doesn't seem to be nearly as big a gap as the one for offensive production is. Overall, Reimold is certainly better and Kim

has shown in his limited time that he is as well until proven otherwise.

So basically you don't think Buck knows what he's doing? If you were the manager you would never play Trumbo in the OF and therefore either only DH him v LHP, never DH Alvarez, or play Alvarez at 3B v RHP? Never play Flaherty anywhere? In your opinion who is the best defensive OF on the team after Jones? Reimold?

Archived