Let Nolan Play

theobird

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? What's your point? You were watching Rickard instead of the ball? And how many times did he get a bad jump? Every time? Half of the time?

I typically watch the fielder instead of the ball on fly balls. Besides the Lind home run, Rickard also had a terrible jump on the Seth Smith single (he threw Smith out at 2nd). So that's twice...I'm not exactly sure how many fly balls were hit to him that day.

So basically you don't think Buck knows what he's doing?

I don't think he is infallible and I think he makes mistakes just like everyone else does. I refuse to approach the situation from a perspective that assumes he is anything else.

I don't think he is infallible and I think he makes mistakes just like everyone else does. I refuse to approach the situation from a perspective that assumes he is anything else.
I edited my post to include specific questions. Maybe you would care to answer them? I would like to know exactly what mistakes you think he is making and how you would do it differently.

How many games have you been to this year and where can I find these breakdown clips?

It's not about what Buck says, it's what he does. He wouldn't play Joey if he didn't think his defense was any good? So are you saying your evidence puts you in a better position to judge, or do you think Buck is deluded?

I think Buck is far more knowledgeable than I am and is generally a great manager. He occasionally develops loyalty to certain players that I don't see the allure of, and therefore I question him in those specific instances. I suppose the board would be much more interesting if we all just threw up our arms and never questioned any decisions anyone employed by the team makes however.

I think Buck is far more knowledgeable than I am and is generally a great manager. He occasionally develops loyalty to certain players that I don't see the allure of, and therefore I question him in those specific instances. I suppose the board would be much more interesting if we all just threw up our arms and never questioned any decisions anyone employed by the team makes however.
You are assuming you are in a better position to judge a players skill set than Buck is. Or you think he is putting subjective feelings over the needs of the team. I think this is pretentious.

Romantically? What does that mean? He likes his jokes? Buck seems to me to be a pretty level headed baseball guy. Maybe I'm missing something. But I think if Buck thought Reimold or Kim were as good defensively he would play them. That's his job. Flaherty is a better defensive 3B than Alvarez, and a better hitter than Janish v RHP, that's why he plays him. If you want both TruMbo and Alvarez' bat in the lineup, one of them has to play defense even if you'd rather neither did.

He also plays Flaherty in the outfield...

You are assuming you are in a better position to judge a players skill set than Buck is. Or you think he is putting subjective feelings over the needs of the team. I think this is pretentious.

Buck Showalter is a great manager and none of his decisions or player loyalties may ever be questioned by anyone but a higher authority, which in the case of Buck Showalter means a higher power, creator of the universe, and/or Joe Pesci.

Yeah' date=' forget that he is a bad baseball player right now, even if he turns it around, what is his upside? I'm not scout, but he looks like a powerless, bad defensive corner outfielder that will have to have an abnormally high BABIP to have the kind of offense to justify a spot on a major league roster. Those guys have to grow on trees in the minors.[/quote']

powerless= he has 4 HRs and came very close to hitting another last night that would have won the game and this thread would not have happened...

powerless= he has 4 HRs and came very close to hitting another last night that would have won the game and this thread would not have happened...

His ISO is .114, in the minors it was... .114. League average is .155.

So yes, he has well below average pop.

It would have been last night if everyone one else had continued to do it. Fister would have been gone in 4.

Fister gave up 2 runs in 5 2/3.

The Astros bullpen gave up 0 runs in 7 1/3.

Fister struck out 3, the Astros' bullpen struck out 16.

Fister walked 3, the Astros' bullpen walked 2.

How would getting Fister out of the game after 4 been useful?

I think it may have led to the O's losing 2-1 in 9.

Archived