Duquette Run Is Over

FSUBobcat7

I was for getting Cueto. No pick and more affordable if we were allowed to offer an opt out.[/quote

Cueto, no Cy Young, 1 ASG in 8 years.

Career WAR of 25.8

A decent pitcher, but not exactly TOR credentials.

Having one nice year, wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was for getting Cueto. No pick and more affordable if we were allowed to offer an opt out.[/quote

Cueto, no Cy Young, 1 ASG in 8 years.

Career WAR of 25.8

A decent pitcher, but not exactly TOR credentials.

Big upgrade over what we have now and affordable. The other options would have cost the moon and not been worth it IMO, especially with losing the pick as well.

Big upgrade over what we have now and affordable. The other options would have cost the moon and not been worth it IMO, especially with losing the pick as well.

AT 15.8 million this year and 21.8 million next year, it didn't look like a bargain, especially given how he picked for Kansas City last season.

Unintentional. He was described by some as a head case.

That's my thinking about Arrieta. You have half the league on adderall and that's acceptable. But what if Jake got on the right anti depressant and that helped, and that's great if he did. I just think there are other factors than just "we're a terrible org." that helped Jake when he got to CHI.

That's my thinking about Arrieta. You have half the league on adderall and that's acceptable. But what if Jake got on the right anti depressant and that helped, and that's great if he did. I just think there are other factors than just "we're a terrible org." that helped Jake when he got to CHI.

I thought Jake had a hitch in his mechanics and once that was fixed, his ball has much more movement on it.

Losing Arrieta and Ed Rodriguez are the really costly mistakes that's hard to overcome.

Signing Gallardo (+ losing the pick), signing Jiminez, Fowler debacle, Seong-min Kim debacle, overpaying for Davis--these things just makes me shake my head.

Yes, i wouldn't mind giving Brady a chance. But please keep Cal away.

Debacles like this happened before DD got here. I think it ownership that is making some of these moves.

The Fowler thing is crazy. The only reason you consider signing Gallardo is because you spent your top pick on Fowler. Without signing Folwer the move is really stupid.

No problem with Duquette at all, given the circumstances. He can't compete financially on any level, and has realized the organization is generally unable to develop, well, anybody. So he patches holes with cheapish stopgaps (which will often times fail) and tries to hold on the the big league talent he has (hence the CD overpayment). Any struggles still trace back to Angelos (and will until he sells).

I know most here want to see the organization turn into one that finds and develops talent. But that takes financial investment in scouting, facilities, and coaching--financial investment that creates no short-term return. I don't see that as the sort of investment the snake wants to make.

At some point people need to stop giving Duquette a free pass.

He was essentially resurrected out of the hell that is baseball's blacklist by the Orioles. And then the 2014 offseason he pulls that BS w/ the Blue Jays all the while completely tanking the offseason...with the prize pick being Travis f'ing Snider? Coming off an AL East division crown?

THEN he finally gets off the Blue Jays snide and at the start of the 2016 season, the O's have a payroll approaching $140m-$150m. This isn't chump change. This isn't Angelos not investing. Angelos didn't tell Duquette to give away 1st rounders for Ubaldo and Gallardo. Angelos didn't tell Duquette to trade comp picks, Hader for Bud freaking Norris. Angelos didn't tell Duquette to trade Tarpley for Travis Snider. Angelos didn't tell Duquette to sign Pedro Alvarez.

At some point people need to call a spade a spade. Yes, Duquette has had 4 consecutive non losing seasons with the O's. But I think this is more a function of Buck Showalter than Duquette. Duquette inherited quite a talent base due to the farm system build up of MacPhail and the trades made by MacPhail. All Duquette has done well is build up an amazing relief staff and minor league depth. Outside of that? I have to give a lot of credit to Buck.

I don't think you should lump the Rodriguez deal in with the Arrieta trade. They're two very different deals, IMO. We still don't know if EdRod is the real deal or not, and we got a superstar reliever for a key stretch of a division-winning season for him. Arrieta is one of the two best pitchers in baseball right now, so, yeah, that trade looks really bad no matter how you look at it. EdRod didn't look anywhere near that level last night - good, with potential, but I didn't see best-in-the-league stuff.

I also have no interest in seeing Cal running the team. I don't even consider DD to be on the hot seat right now. One 7-of-9 stretch and suddenly he's an idiot? Weren't the O's in first place a week ago?

Everyone wanted Arrieta traded. If other teams in the league thought Arrieta was going to be this successful we would have gotten a lot more for him than Feldman and Cleavanger.

I thought Jake had a hitch in his mechanics and once that was fixed, his ball has much more movement on it.

Jake went from being a fastball first guy with the O's, to a cutter/slider first guy w/ the Cubs. He stopped worrying about TTP. He was completely revamped in short order. Essentially he was given back one of his better pitches. A pitch that the organization despises when it comes to young pitchers (the cutter). The O's are well on their way to ruining Bundy due to the same BS.

You would pay David Price $31 per year?

TOR is extremely expensive and not that many available.

We will pay Jiminez 13 million next year and Gallardo 13 million next year. That almost pays for Price. (He gets 30 million next year) Of course Price has a lot more years. Free Agent starters are most likely going to end up giving you a case of regret.

Everyone wanted Arrieta traded. If other teams in the league thought Arrieta was going to be this successful we would have gotten a lot more for him than Feldman and Cleavanger.

Nobody wanted him traded for Scott Feldman. Scott Feldman, he who had a career 4.81 ERA prior to the 2013 season. An ERA+ of 94. A 4.56 FIP. A WHIP of over 1.4.

And Arrieta had options. Now, it's clear as day that the Orioles would never get Arrieta right. So the point is moot.

Feldman was a desperation move. The same desperation move of acquiring Parra.

We will pay Jiminez 13 million next year and Gallardo 13 million next year. That almost pays for Price. (He gets 30 million next year) Of course Price has a lot more years. Free Agent starters are most likely going to end up giving you a case of regret.

Not even that. Why not sign Doug Fister? $7m, no draft pick compensation. Why Gallardo? Why a guy with a bum shoulder and decreased velocity? Why a guy that nixes out 1st round pick? Why wait until last freaking minute every time?

Archived