Gallardo's Injury

brianod

So, Gallardo had a shoulder issue for the second half of last year that caused him to become a 5 inning pitcher that had a dramatic drop in velocity. Then, he rests between October and March. Fails the O's physical, or at least half fails the physical. We sign him anyway but give him two years instead of three. Then he starts pitching and he's even worse than last year. So, we put him on IR with a shoulder injury. Give him a month of rest and start him up again.

My question is, if the rest between October and March didn't help, how in the world can the rest in May cure the problem? This makes no logical sense to me but maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, counting on anything out of him this year seems pie in the sky to me.

Well he's said that he's never had a cortisone shot before. So that's the prayer right there. Texas got through last year with babying Wandy Rodriguez through the first part of the year and then Gallardo the 2nd part of the year. We should try the same thing. Where the heck is Wandy? I read before that he has a June 5th opt out.

So, Gallardo had a shoulder issue for the second half of last year that caused him to become a 5 inning pitcher that had a dramatic drop in velocity. Then, he rests between October and March. Fails the O's physical, or at least half fails the physical. We sign him anyway but give him two years instead of three. Then he starts pitching and he's even worse than last year. So, we put him on IR with a shoulder injury. Give him a month of rest and start him up again.

My question is, if the rest between October and March didn't help, how in the world can the rest in May cure the problem? This makes no logical sense to me but maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, counting on anything out of him this year seems pie in the sky to me.

You're probably right, but he's all we have right now.

Well he's said that he's never had a cortisone shot before. So that's the prayer right there. Texas got through last year with babying Wandy Rodriguez through the first part of the year and then Gallardo the 2nd part of the year. We should try the same thing. Where the heck is Wandy? I read before that he has a June 5th opt out.

Maybe he doesn't look very good at Extended ST.

Wooooshhhhh. That is the sound of $22 million and a draft pick being flushed down the toilet. Everybody on this board saw this one.coming, and that was before Gallardo failed the physical.

Corn is negative on all signings that cost a pick but he warned us about Gallardo specifically. He deserves props.

DD's legacy is the only thing slowly whipping around the toilet bowl:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are way over exagerating his fastball drop in velocity last season. It was very close to that in 2013. He also started throwing more two seem sinking fastball then the four seam one he threw a lot early on in his career. Which will show a slight decline unless you are Britton. His strikeout rate has stayed about the same the previous 3 years while his walk rate has declined and the ground ball rate increased.

If he can throw around 90 he still should be ok but if he is still throwing 85-88 it will be difficult for him to pitch well unless he goes and learns Jeff Weaver strategy.

Gallardo has been doing some exercises to strengthen the shoulder area that he wasn't doing before.

Since going on the disabled list, Gallardo has been doing exercises to build strength in his shoulder.

"Anytime you're on the DL, the big thing is that you just have to be patient," Gallardo said. "Once you get through that first little step, and for me it was getting the strength back in my shoulder, I think everything else will hopefully move pretty quickly. Once I start throwing, picking up the ball and it'll go by pretty quickly."

Gallardo said that he's seen marked improvement in the strength of his shoulder since beginning the exercises and said he plans to continue them once he returns to the rotation.

"I definitely feel stronger, just my arm in general," Gallardo said. "You can definitely tell, just by the first day that I was doing those exercises to the way I'm doing them now. I'm doing them the proper way now ... just able to control it. I'm stable in my shoulders. My shoulder stays in the same spot. You know, when your muscles are weak, you're shaking and just weak.

"I've really noticed a big difference, just from doing those exercises and adding weight. You can tell when you're adding weight and doing it the proper way, it's a sign you're getting that strength back."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-rhp-yovani-gallardo-to-begin-throwing-program-on-saturday-20160509-story.html

This could be complete wishful thinking and hogwash, but hopefully these exercises have made a difference for him.

Gallardo has been doing some exercises to strengthen the shoulder area that he wasn't doing before.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-rhp-yovani-gallardo-to-begin-throwing-program-on-saturday-20160509-story.html

This could be complete wishful thinking and hogwash, but hopefully these exercises have made a difference for him.

I don't understand why he wasn't doing them before.

I thought they were the industry standard and had been for some time.

Heck folks are theorizing that stronger shoulders are one of the reasons behind the increase in TJ surgery.

I don't understand why he wasn't doing them before.

I thought they were the industry standard and had been for some time.

Heck folks are theorizing that stronger shoulders are one of the reasons behind the increase in TJ surgery.

Don't ask me, I have no idea what these specific exercises are and whether they are industry standard. I just hope they help him.

Didn't I just read a story about how Jim Palmer TORE HIS ROTATOR CUFF, looked like he was heading out of baseball, and then found these anti-inflammatory pills that allowed him to pitch and regain his fastball?

I mean, I know Gallardo is no Palmer... but you never know. Hope for the best! Cortisone .... is a hell of a drug!

Didn't I just read a story about how Jim Palmer TORE HIS ROTATOR CUFF, looked like he was heading out of baseball, and then found these anti-inflammatory pills that allowed him to pitch and regain his fastball?

I mean, I know Gallardo is no Palmer... but you never know. Hope for the best! Cortisone .... is a hell of a drug!

Amazing he had to come to the Orioles to discover special exercises and cortisone. Those people in Texas must be backwards or something. Color me skeptical...

Archived