Current O's Starters vs. Traded & Others of Note

rubberarm21

Zach Davies (from the Parra trade) threw 8 shutout innings last night for Milwaukee. This got me to thinking about the starters we have traded, the starters we were looking to sign and didnt and the ones we curently have.

I put together an analysis that compares these pitchers over similar time frames below are the nuggets of info I pulled from the analysis:

The Groupings:

Current O's = Tillman, Jimenez, Gallardo, Gausman, Wright, Wilson, Worley

Traded O's = Arrieta, Eduardo Rodriguez, Zach Davies

Others of Note = Miguel Gonzalez, Jason Hammel, Scott Feldman, Doug Fister

1) ERA for the current O's staff falls behind both groups (4.21 for O's, vs. 2.69 for traded players and 3.66 for the others O's)

2) O's SP have the worst W/L % of the three groups at 0.471 compared to 0.721 for the traded pitchers and 0.543 for the Others

3) Current O's pitchers average more baserunners. Their WHIP is 1.371 compared to 1.034 for traded and 1.251 for Others

4) Of the 14 pitchers analyzed, 4 of the top 5 in terms of walks per 9 innings pitched are current O's (Jimenez, Gallardo, Wright, Tillman)

5) the O's current starters have a lower strikeout to walk ratio than the traded pitchers or the others

* I know most will believe that Arrieta skews this data dramatically. That is partially true but the success of the other pitchers by comparison is also worth noting.

* If anyone wants the full spreadsheet feel free to private message me their email address. I tried to post a screenshot here but it didnt come out well.

* Data courtesy of BaseballReference.com

a>

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zach Davies (from the Parra trade) threw 8 shutout innings last night for Milwaukee. This got me to thinking about the starters we have traded, the starters we were looking to sign and didnt and the ones we curently have.

I put together an analysis that compares these pitchers over similar time frames below are the nuggets of info I pulled from the analysis:

The Groupings:

Current O's = Tillman, Jimenez, Gallardo, Gausman, Wright, Wilson, Worley

Traded O's = Arrieta, Eduardo Rodriguez, Zach Davies

Others of Note = Miguel Gonzalez, Jason Hammel, Scott Feldman, Doug Fister

1) ERA for the current O's staff falls behind both groups (4.21 for O's, vs. 2.69 for traded players and 3.66 for the others O's)

2) O's SP have the worst W/L % of the three groups at 0.471 compared to 0.721 for the traded pitchers and 0.543 for the Others

3) Current O's pitchers average more baserunners. Their WHIP is 1.371 compared to 1.034 for traded and 1.251 for Others

4) Of the 14 pitchers analyzed, 4 of the top 5 in terms of walks per 9 innings pitched are current O's (Jimenez, Gallardo, Wright, Tillman)

5) the O's current starters have a lower strikeout to walk ratio than the traded pitchers or the others

* I know most will believe that Arrieta skews this data dramatically. That is partially true but the success of the other pitchers by comparison is also worth noting.

* If anyone wants the full spreadsheet feel free to private message me their email address. I tried to post a screenshot here but it didnt come out well.

* Data courtesy of BaseballReference.com

a>

Can I see the Blue Jays spreadsheet that includes Chris Carpenter, Roy Halladay and Noah Syndergaard please? Arrieta does corrupt the data.

just threw him in as someone we were looking at in the off season... I am considering adding other free agents that we were linked to but didnt sign

Then throw Alfredo Simon in there two as he was mentioned some and that will skew the results the other way.

you can look at it by individual if you prefer.

You sound exactly like the local radio that gives the O's front office a pass on Arrieta because we traded for Chris Davis.

For whatever reason Arrieta sucked here, the year before he was traded he had a 6.20 era in 18 starts. The year he was traded he was a 7.20 era pitcher in 5 starts. Time to give up the ghost ...Jake clearly needed a change of scenery.

I was against the Davies and Rodriguez trades. I wasn't against the Arrieta trade at the time, but I certainly regret it now, even though Jake may never have blossomed here (but maybe he would have, once Wallace and Chiti arrived).

Pretty soon we can add Josh Hader to the list of guys we traded. He has an 0.88 ERA in AA right now, averaging 11.5 K/9.

you can look at it by individual if you prefer.

You sound exactly like the local radio that gives the O's front office a pass on Arrieta because we traded for Chris Davis.

I dont see those as reasonable equivalency myself. Nor do I give anyone a pass for trading Jake. I also credit anyone who was not a full supporter of Arrieta while he was here for being prescient.

Then throw Alfredo Simon in there two as he was mentioned some and that will skew the results the other way.

Ill fess up and say I was very pro-Simon. I would have signed Fister, Latos, Simon and Guts and see what stuck. No pick, might get a bullpen arm out of it and one probably works.

Turns out, 2 were better than Gallardo.

When were the looking at him?

they were linked to him in the media in a number of places

I took a shot and posted something I thought was interesting. just like the majority of posts by others in this forum it was shot down with skepticism and eliticism. I'm done with this site. I just feel bad for the owner that loses unique page views and overall users because of the negativity of the base.

Archived