Tom Verducci On Ubaldo Jimenez: 'It's A Sunk Cost

PressBoxOnline

Ubaldo seems like a nice guy, but he needs to be the guy in the R rated movie that no one is really sure they like yet, not the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone is pulling for to make it happen. He needs to be a big bear. With fangs and claws.

He's so money and the doesn't even know it.

You mean he needs to start off each inning plunking someone?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also known as the' date=' drill Markakis and ask if it was a foul ball, a la the CC.[/quote']
Ha! No. But hey, it worked for Nuke LaLooshe. I think he just lacks confidence. Then he'll get some digits (wins) for us.

Or wear the mask.

8961265_orig.jpg?0

I think Luis taught Ubaldo.
Oh wow, yet another Ubaldo thread. :eektf: Seriously, as I remember, Luis Tiant faced the problem of diminishing velocity. He was able to successfully make adjustments to this loss of velocity and he was quite decent during the later years of his career.

I'm of the opinion that talent is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A pitcher (or else a position player) truly willing to work long and hard will be able to achieve what he needs to be successful. Sometimes it takes swallowing his pride and taking time in the minors or else (if a starting pitcher) coming out of the bullpen in a long relief role for an extended time.

I remember back in 1995, Dave Righetti (now the Giants' pitching coach) swallowed his pride and ptched several months in the White Sox minor leagues before being called up to the White Sox and doing quite well in their rotation. He retired after that year.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-07-23/sports/9507230115_1_big-league-general-manager-ron-schueler-dave-righetti

In 2 1/2 months with the Sounds, Righetti made 15 starts and had a 4-5 record with 3.44 earned-run average, third lowest in the league. He allowed only five earned runs in his last four appearances. More important, he succeeded in strengthening his arm.

Short on pitching, Schueler recalled Righetti on Monday night. The next night, at Yankee Stadium, he went 6 2/3 innings and got the win in an 11-4 victory over the Yankees. Sox manager Terry Bevington said Saturday he plans to use Righetti in the starting rotation, replacing Brian Keyser.

"Righetti deserves a lot of credit," Schueler said. "Two and a half months in the minors is a long time. He's got a lot of character and heart. A lot of courage."

I don't know if Ubaldo wants to spend several months pitching for Norfolk, or even wants to pitch several months from the pen for the Orioles. As many people here at OH have said, he's a hard worker.

I just have haunting visions that everyone around the Orioles, from fans to management, will want to send Ubaldo on his way, eat up the rest of his contract. And he ends up in another organization, works really,really hard, and winds up becoming a star.

Oh wow, yet another Ubaldo thread. :eektf: Seriously, as I remember, Luis Tiant faced the problem of diminishing velocity. He was able to successfully make adjustments to this loss of velocity and he was quite decent during the later years of his career.

I'm of the opinion that talent is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A pitcher (or else a position player) truly willing to work long and hard will be able to achieve what he needs to be successful. Sometimes it takes swallowing his pride and taking time in the minors or else (if a starting pitcher) coming out of the bullpen in a long relief role for an extended time.

I remember back in 1995, Dave Righetti (now the Giants' pitching coach) swallowed his pride and ptched several months in the White Sox minor leagues before being called up to the White Sox and doing quite well in their rotation. He retired after that year.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-07-23/sports/9507230115_1_big-league-general-manager-ron-schueler-dave-righetti

I don't know if Ubaldo wants to spend several months pitching for Norfolk, or even wants to pitch several months from the pen for the Orioles. As many people here at OH have said, he's a hard worker.

I just have haunting visions that everyone around the Orioles, from fans to management, will want to send Ubaldo on his way, eat up the rest of his contract. And he ends up in another organization, works really,really hard, and winds up becoming a star.

I am not worried about him becoming a "star". Could he become a mediocre starting pitcher for another team? Sure. So could Bud Norris. Or Miguel Gonzalez. But if we find any better pitching option to try to win in 2016 then that is who I want out there. If not, then give it to Ubaldo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He does.

DD touched on 2 LHP SP in AAA that he is needing to make a decision on, sounds like we could see 1 or both up in the future.

This is the scariest part - that these 2 guys are our solution to the pitching woes. CRAZY!

Sunk cost is right. Replacing him with someone better is not easy. That's why he's still starting. I advocated replacing him 2 weeks ago. AAA pitchers can give you 5-8 good games before they crash. Ubaldo is bad this year, very bad. But, what else do we do? It's easy to say move him to the pen but that requires a pitcher to replace him.

It's not his velo or pitches, it's his lack of command. Moving him to the pen dilutes the pen. We don't need 3 low leverage mop up guys.
Once Gallardo comes back, someone will have to come out of the rotation. That "someone" isn't going to be Tillman or Gausman. And surely Buck will give Gallardo some chances in the rotation after coming off the DL. After Mike Wright's performance Monday night, I doubt that Buck will want him out of the rotation, unless he pitches horribly his next couple of starts. Tyler Wilson is a young, developing pitcher who isn't great but he's not doing too badly. In order for Ubaldo to keep his place in the rotation, he's got to pitch extra well, to beat out Wright or Wilson or perhaps Gallardo. Then there are McFarland and Worley. So who knows??!!

Once Gallardo comes back, someone will have to come out of the rotation. That "someone" isn't going to be Tillman or Gausman. And surely Buck will give Gallardo some chances in the rotation after coming off the DL. After Mike Wright's performance Monday night, I doubt that Buck will want him out of the rotation, unless he pitches horribly his next couple of starts. Tyler Wilson is a young, developing pitcher who isn't great but he's not doing too badly. In order for Ubaldo to keep his place in the rotation, he's got to pitch extra well, to beat out Wright or Wilson or perhaps Gallardo. Then there are McFarland and Worley. So who knows??!!
I don't have much faith in Wright. Let's see what else he does. One good start doesn't make me ready to eat 22 M. He has options, I'm keeping Ubaldo around until I see what I have in Gallardo at least, then if he hasn't improved and Gallardo looks serviceable maybe I let him go. Don't want him to dilute the pen.

I don't have much faith in Wright. Let's see what else he does. One good start doesn't make me ready to eat 22 M. He has options, I'm keeping Ubaldo around until I see what I have in Gallardo at least, then if he hasn't improved and Gallardo looks serviceable maybe I let him go. Don't want him to dilute the pen.
Actually, Ubaldo might not be a complete waste coming in from the pen. We have seen that he can go at least 4-5 innings with some nasty stuff, keeping his team in the game while the bats catch up.

Yes, he would be an expensive long reliever. But if the team cuts him, he'll be even more expensive.

Archived