How Many Games?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6-7
    • 8+

This poll is closed to new votes

Forgive me if this was posted already, but fangraphs' Dave Cameron suggested 10-15 days for Manny and 30 for Ventura. Here's the Manny part:

Machado, of course, isn?t blameless in this either, and should get a longer suspension than other mound-chargers. Machado got into it with Josh Donaldson back in 2014 after he thought he got tagged too hard, and then threw his bat at (or near, at least) the third baseman a few days later when Fernando Abad came inside with a few pitches; that incident drew a five game suspension for Machado, and earned him a bit of a reputation as well. Maybe 10-15 games for Machado would be a significant enough punishment for him to think twice before starting another fight in the future.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-should-throw-the-book-at-yordano-ventura/

But elsewhere, he predicts that Manny gets 5-6 games and Ventura gets 6-8. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dave-cameron-fangraphs-chat-6816/

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgive me if this was posted already, but fangraphs' Dave Cameron suggested 10-15 days for Manny and 30 for Ventura. Here's the Manny part:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-should-throw-the-book-at-yordano-ventura/

So he thinks that because Manny has a history he should be out 10-15 games. But Ventura, who also has a history and a longer one, should get 30 games which would essentially be 6 starts?

Got it. Nice logic.

So he thinks that because Manny has a history he should be out 10-15 games. But Ventura, who also has a history and a longer one, should get 30 games which would essentially be 6 starts?

Got it. Nice logic.

While I won't defend all of his logic, a pitcher missing 6 starts has a much bigger impact than a player missing 10-15 games. A pitcher would probably face 150 batters in 6 games, whereas a hitter would have maybe 65-70 PA in 15 games. Of course, the hitter would miss some fielding action too, but there would probably be less than one play/game where the fielding skill compared to a replacement really comes into play.

In any event, I have a hard time recalling an instance where a starting pitcher missed more than 2 starts for an on-field incident.

While I won't defend all of his logic, a pitcher missing 6 starts has a much bigger impact than a player missing 10-15 games. A pitcher would probably face 150 batters in 6 games, whereas a hitter would have maybe 65-70 PA in 15 games. Of course, the hitter would miss some fielding action too, but there would probably be less than one play/game where the fielding skill compared to a replacement really comes into play.

In any event, I have a hard time recalling an instance where a starting pitcher missed more than 2 starts for an on-field incident.

They're both losing the same percent of salary per day is likely the way MLB justifies it.

As a point of reference 7 players were suspended in this brawl, and no one got more than 4 days. Why should Manny get 15 because he threw a bat a year and a half ago and since has been a model citizen?

[video=youtube;eYTQE8wUuvw]

He didn't start this fight, Cameron!

Absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Cameron is a bigger moron than his namesake Prime Minister of England.

Did you even read the article, you know where he spent 80% of the words talking about throwing the book at Ventura, suspending him for 30 games and costing him $150k? The Manny part was a couple paragraphs at the end, and he even said maybe 10-15 games.

Did you even read the article, you know where he spent 80% of the words talking about throwing the book at Ventura, suspending him for 30 games and costing him $150k? The Manny part was a couple paragraphs at the end, and he even said maybe 10-15 games.

Yes, I read it. Left to right. Top to bottom.

"Maybe 10-15 games for Machado would be a significant enough punishment for him to think twice before starting another fight in the future."

You believe that Manny started this? You're buying Ventura's excuse that he just missed inside?

"Maybe 10-15 games for Machado would be a significant enough punishment for him to think twice before starting another fight in the future."

You believe that Manny started this? You're buying Ventura's excuse that he just missed inside?

Of course not, I think Cameron's suggestion is too harsh, but Manny did have the option of not going to the mound. He will get a suspension. But I think Cameron is spot-on with 30 games for Ventura.

Manny didn't start "this," in terms of the general conflict between them. And Ventura absolutely hit him on purpose. But Manny did start the fight itself.

Archived