4/29 Rays at O's: battle for first place

PaulFolk

As an outfielder I can tell you it isn't this simple. Here is why.

It is always the OFer's call and the CF takes precedent over the corner's. This part is simple.

It becomes difficult when an outfielder is not sure they can make the play. In which case they are deciding if they have a better shot at the ball then the infielder. So if an infielder has made a call, then an unsure OF will back off. Some times the infielder is unsure they can make the play as well. This appeared to be one of these difficult situations.

Jones could have made a play on it but it would have been a full speed head long dive to the ball. Not a sure catch by any stretch. It appeared Roberts had a better shot at the ball which is likely why Jones never called it.

Roberts definitely had a chance to catch it; his glove was nary a few inches from the ball and he wasn't fully extended. But it was a tough over the shoulder full speed catch. Brian may not have expected to make the play so he didn't call it.

However, this can be simplified. One of those guys needs to just man up, decide they are making the play, and make a call. Without fear of another player colliding with you I believe either player would have a better chance to catch it. This is were more practice comes in. They more the do this with another the more confident they will be to make the call and attempt the spectacular play. I'm not sure how long it takes for this chemistry to develop. It could take half a season or so.

So, it looked to you like nobody called it?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How the heck is Halladay underrated?

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=136880&statType=2

He won the Cy Young in 2003, didn't he?

OK, the most underrated pitcher among those who have won a Cy Young.

"Underrated" is a nebulous, subjective concept. I don't even know why I used it. I actually hate it.

DAMN YOU, JOE MORGAN!!!

So, it looked to you like nobody called it?

Oh know, it was Brob's ball all the way- it actually hit him in the glove. AJ didn't have a play on the ball in the air. You're making this too complicated and when you see the replay you'll know what I'm talking about.

It was just really a fluke play. Just one of those balls that goes into, as someone so aptly put it, "no-man's land."

As an outfielder I can tell you it isn't this simple. Here is why.

It is always the OFer's call and the CF takes precedent over the corner's. This part is simple.

It becomes difficult when an outfielder is not sure they can make the play. In which case they are deciding if they have a better shot at the ball then the infielder. So if an infielder has made a call, then an unsure OF will back off. Some times the infielder is unsure they can make the play as well. This appeared to be one of these difficult situations.

Jones could have made a play on it but it would have been a full speed head long dive to the ball. Not a sure catch by any stretch. It appeared Roberts had a better shot at the ball which is likely why Jones never called it.

Roberts definitely had a chance to catch it; his glove was nary a few inches from the ball and he wasn't fully extended. But it was a tough over the shoulder full speed catch. Brian may not have expected to make the play so he didn't call it.

However, this can be simplified. One of those guys needs to just man up, decide they are making the play, and make a call. Without fear of another player colliding with you I believe either player would have a better chance to catch it. This is were more practice comes in. They more the do this with another the more confident they will be to make the call and attempt the spectacular play. I'm not sure how long it takes for this chemistry to develop. It could take half a season or so.

It seems to me that you are agreeing with my post although going into more detail. The post I quoted was the one that you (and I) had a disagreement with. As an infielder, I would also say it's not at all simple and that it requires a lot of practice/chemistry between the players. The thing is, Orioles have consistently struggled with this in recent years. It's something that seems to affect them once every few games, and all three starting outfielders plus Payton and all four starting infielders have been involved in such plays already this year. That's too many. They need more work on it.

Archived