Manny Machado Suspended for 4 Games

OFFNY

9 games is idiotic. An off day and creative shuffling allows him to just miss 1 start. He deserves 20 games, honestly. Considering is blatant history and past suspensions.

I agree. If you want to stop the headhunting, then you send a message. Hit him in the pocketbook for 20 games and see if he thinks twice next time. Should be progressive discipline.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe Manny and Ventura can patch things up at the World Baseball Classic when they most likely will be playing on the same team! Ventura will probably be on the Dominican team that Manny says he is going to play for next year. Will be a little interesting.

I think DR can do better than a player with Ventura's garbage results.

I don't really see the point of giving a starting pitcher a nine-game suspension. It's no different from six in terms of its practical effect, except in terms of missed salary (well, at least there's that).

That is absolutely stupid. He misses one start and that is IT. If MLB wants to cut down on the unwritten rules/fighting/machismo nonsense it has to come down on these pitchers who start the beanball wars. Otherwise they are just inviting it to continue and leaving it up to the players to charge the mound or retaliate.

Maybe Manny and Ventura can patch things up at the World Baseball Classic when they most likely will be playing on the same team! Ventura will probably be on the Dominican team that Manny says he is going to play for next year. Will be a little interesting.

I highly doubt Manny will play any volunteer baseball when an injury could cost him a $400 million contract. He may have had some incentive to do those things a few years ago but not any more.

I highly doubt Manny will play any volunteer baseball when an injury could cost him a $400 million contract. He may have had some incentive to do those things a few years ago but not any more.

They can get insurance.

Not too many guys duck playing in the WBC and most of them that do would be playing for team USA.

Nine games for Ventura is nonsense. As others have posited, he probably won't miss more than one start. I wish MLB were a bit more creative. A fitting penalty would be to have him DH for nine games. The loss of production from that spot in the lineup wouldn't please his teammates, and I'm sure it would be quite character-building for him to stand in the batter's box against the rest of the league.

Nine games for Ventura is nonsense. As others have posited, he probably won't miss more than one start. I wish MLB were a bit more creative. A fitting penalty would be to have him DH for nine games. The loss of production from that spot in the lineup wouldn't please his teammates, and I'm sure it would be quite character-building for him to stand in the batter's box against the rest of the league.

Ha. That's actually brilliant.

That is absolutely stupid. He misses one start and that is IT. If MLB wants to cut down on the unwritten rules/fighting/machismo nonsense it has to come down on these pitchers who start the beanball wars. Otherwise they are just inviting it to continue and leaving it up to the players to charge the mound or retaliate.

Basically MLB is saying that headhunting multiple times with a 100 mph fastball and bragging about doing it again is perfectly fine. We'll give you a slap on the wrist, a few games of lost salary, and get right back out there, champ.

It also says "You know all these new rules for increased player safety? Ha, just kidding!"

I guess MLB actually wants to be more like the NHL, with designated goons called up for specific series to run out to the mound and pound the pitcher whenever an inevitable beanball war starts. Good for marketing to some audiences, I suppose.

I agree. If you want to stop the headhunting, then you send a message. Hit him in the pocketbook for 20 games and see if he thinks twice next time. Should be progressive discipline.

I'm sure they'll hide behind the CBA, claim their hands are tied, then the ol' Commish will blame the union when someone gets a broken jaw or skull fracture. Instead of, you know, just doing the right thing and forcing the MLBPA to defend headhunting psychotics.

I don't really see the point of giving a starting pitcher a nine-game suspension. It's no different from six in terms of its practical effect, except in terms of missed salary (well, at least there's that).

A 9 game suspension hurts the team more. That's 3 extra days where they have a rested pitcher that can't pitch. Teams only get a replacement player for a suspended player for drug offenses.

A 9 game suspension hurts the team more. That's 3 extra days where they have a rested pitcher that can't pitch. Teams only get a replacement player for a suspended player for drug offenses.

Yea, having to muddle through with only an 11-man pitching staff for three days is probably the difference between contender and disaster.

And I suppose Yordano will lose more money being suspended for 9 as opposed to 5 or 6.

Archived