Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe because he's pitched 31.1 professional innings in he last two years combined and has never pitched above Delmarva? Or maybe it's because we don't know how he'll hold up after 75 pitches since he hasn't done it in a start since 2014? Or maybe it's because we don't know whether he can command his changeup? Or maybe it's because the Orioles are not insane?

You can take your pick.

About that last part...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey should be pitching in a sim game today. Keep an eye out for quotes. Maybe they’ll actually talk about him because it’s positive, unlike the games where we were hiding Tillman.

if they say after today that he’s starting that 3/21 game @NYY then he’s got a chance.  

You have as much chance of making the Orioles squad as Harvey. I feel like with over 9,000 posts around here you would have a general idea of how player are developed, especially pitchers. The Orioles are not going to put Harvey in the rotation at the start of this season, it's just not going to happen. Buck is keeping him around because as long as he can get his work in and get himself ready to be a starter in the minors, he might as well gain the experience against better hitters than over in minor league camp. Nothing wrong with keeping him around the major league pitchers and coaches as long as possible as long as he's getting the innings he needs to prepare for the season which the Orioles have found a way to do.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey should be pitching in a sim game today. Keep an eye out for quotes. Maybe they’ll actually talk about him because it’s positive, unlike the games where we were hiding Tillman.

if they say after today that he’s starting that 3/21 game @NYY then he’s got a chance.  

You are a one-man band on this one.

1 minute ago, TheDeau52 said:

About that last part...

I don't think DD or Buck are insane. They are both outstanding baseball men. They may have their faults, but they are working in an organization where the chain of command is as complex as neurosurgery and they still find ways to keep the team competitive (even last season they were competitive until mid September).

Even with one year left on their contracts, they are not going to potentially ruin a kid's future by asking too much of him too soon.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah those facts are true.  But would he better than whomever will be our fifth starter? I expect if Harvey has any kind of success in the minors and we don't sign or trade for anyone else that Harvey will be pitching for the Orioles by the All Star Break.  

Talent wise I would say yes, but innings wise says its going to be hard to find a way to have him starting in Baltimore this year without shutting him down very early. As it stands, this team is not going to be good enough to compete for a playoff spot without catching lightening in an eye dropper bottle.

I don't see them asking too much of a kid who just needs to put together a full season of starting while staying healthy. Hunter has tremendous talent, but we don't know a lot of things about him yet. Is he better than Tillman, Wright, Castro, and Cortes right now, potentially yes, but he has 144 innings of pro ball under his belt in five years. He needs to pitch every five days and get up to 100-120 innings this year probably in AA. Next year when this team is probably rebuilding, then we can talk about him in the rotation.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Talent wise I would say yes, but innings wise says its going to be hard to find a way to have him starting in Baltimore this year without shutting him down very early. As it stands, this team is not going to be good enough to compete for a playoff spot without catching lightening in an eye dropper bottle.

I don't see them asking too much of a kid who just needs to put together a full season of starting while staying healthy. Hunter has tremendous talent, but we don't know a lot of things about him yet. Is he better than Tillman, Wright, Castro, and Cortes right now, potentially yes, but he has 144 innings of pro ball under his belt in five years. He needs to pitch every five days and get up to 100-120 innings this year probably in AA. Next year when this team is probably rebuilding, then we can talk about him in the rotation.

The kid has talent, and TJ aside, with the lack of innings at AA or above.

I have a hard time evening considering him for a SP slot this season, and I am a huge Harvey fan and have been since day 1.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think DD or Buck are insane. They are both outstanding baseball men. They may have their faults, but they are working in an organization where the chain of command is as complex as neurosurgery and they still find ways to keep the team competitive (even last season they were competitive until mid September).

Even with one year left on their contracts, they are not going to potentially ruin a kid's future by asking too much of him too soon.

Good points, I was more referring to ownership. I have a lot of respect for both Buck and DD. They do the best they can while being handcuffed.

How many innings did Gausman throw in the minors before he got called up?  Sometimes guys are just ready.  He’s probably more polished than Gausman right now.  I’m not knocking anybody. We’re all rooting for the same team.

People got the guy starting in Frederick.  One level ahead of DL Hall.  

The last rebuild took 14 years. Most people want on this board want us to be 20 indeed at the deadline. Sign me up for the 2nd WC spot. 

People love prospects, but only certain prospects. Love Hays, hate Stewart. Love Wynns, nit pick Sisco. Just a coincidence that baseball America laughed at both picks. First impressions do matter, I guess. 

I’m not trying to win some thread, I’m trying to watch us go to the playoffs. 

And Harvey Killed today. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How many innings did Gausman throw in the minors before he got called up?  

Gausman threw 100 competive innings in 2011.

138 in 2012.

Those were the two seasons before the year he was called up. Those innings weren’t all in the minors, most were in the SEC (which is arguably a higher level of competition than Rookie or SS ball).

Harvey threw 12 competitive innings in 2016.

Harvey threw 18 in 2017.

This is an not an apt comparison.

I ignored the rest of the post because it’s all over place and it’s it takes opinions from one or two posters for each thing you bring up and projects that on all of us.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How many innings did Gausman throw in the minors before he got called up?  Sometimes guys are just ready.  He’s probably more polished than Gausman right now.  I’m not knocking anybody. We’re all rooting for the same team.

The last rebuild took 14 years. Most people want on this board want us to be 20 indeed at the deadline. Sign me up for the 2nd WC spot. 

People love prospects, but only certain prospects. Love Hays, hate Stewart. Love Wynns, nit pick Sisco. Just a coincidence that baseball America laughed at both picks. First impressions do matter, I guess. 

And Harvey Killed today. 

Do you think Gausman was ready when he got called up?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

And Harvey Killed today. 

Given their ages and injury histories, I think Bundy is a better comp than Gausman. Bundy had thrown very few innings before he came up to stay in 2016 because he was out of options. He was 23, just as Harvey is now. They used him in relief the first half of the year and put him in the rotation on July 17. He threw a total of 109.2 innings in 2016.

I'm fine with them treating Harvey the same way, except he's not out of options so there's no reason to make him work out of the O's bullpen. Put him in the bullpen at Bowie or Norfolk and let him get used to throwing in real competition again. In July, if it looks like he's ready, bring him up and put him in the rotation. This way his innings can be managed and he'd be unlikely to hurt himself, and his health is the most important thing. I want to see him lead us to the playoffs for years to come, not just this year.

20 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Apparently it's supposed to be a AAA game now, not a sim game like what was initially reported.

He'll be starting the NYY game as long as he doesn't injure himself, it has nothing to do with his performance in the AAA game or his chances (should be 0% but at best extremely slim) of making the team.

This comment piqued my curiosity. And started me worrying... What are you saying here?

12 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

This comment piqued my curiosity. And started me worrying... What are you saying here?

He’s scheduled to pitch the NYY game so It’d take something significant to make him not pitch. That’s all I was saying, it didn’t mean anything.

23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You have as much chance of making the Orioles squad as Harvey. I feel like with over 9,000 posts around here you would have a general idea of how player are developed, especially pitchers. The Orioles are not going to put Harvey in the rotation at the start of this season, it's just not going to happen. Buck is keeping him around because as long as he can get his work in and get himself ready to be a starter in the minors, he might as well gain the experience against better hitters than over in minor league camp. Nothing wrong with keeping him around the major league pitchers and coaches as long as possible as long as he's getting the innings he needs to prepare for the season which the Orioles have found a way to do.

What do 9,000 posts have to do with thinking this one particular player, in this one particular situation, should start the season in the rotation?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What do 9,000 posts have to do with thinking this one particular player, in this one particular situation, should start the season in the rotation?

I agree.    The number of posts doesn’t necessarily equate to the wisdom of the poster or any specific post.    

I am glad Harvey looks good this spring.   It makes no sense to put him on the OD roster — none.    He doesn’t have sufficient experience to be successful for long, he can’t be expected to pitch a major league workload for a full season, and wasting a year of service time in these circumstances would be nuts.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1