Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree.    The number of posts doesn’t necessarily equate to the wisdom of the poster or any specific post.    

I am glad Harvey looks good this spring.   It makes no sense to put him on the OD roster — none.    He doesn’t have sufficient experience to be successful for long, he can’t be expected to pitch a major league workload for a full season, and wasting a year of service time in these circumstances would be nuts.    

I resemble that remark. 

Although I’ve been dismissing Harvey’s chances of making the team all spring, I find it interesting that Cortes/Castro got rained out tonight, and instead of scrapping their plans to start Harvey tomorrow, they’re going forward with that plan, with Cortes and Castro pitching in relief after Harvey.   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/wynns-on-being-cut-it-was-definitely-a-shock-game-cancelled.html

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Although I’ve been dismissing Harvey’s chances of making the team all spring, I find it interesting that Cortes/Castro got rained out tonight, and instead of scrapping their plans to start Harvey tomorrow, they’re going forward with that plan, with Cortes and Castro pitching in relief after Harvey.   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/wynns-on-being-cut-it-was-definitely-a-shock-game-cancelled.html

I think they have a gauge on what Castro and Cortes can offer this year.  They want to see Harvey face what should be of regulars today against the Yankees.  It'll be curious to see if in the O's-Norfolk game what team he pitches for.  

We're still likely to need someone to start that game vs the Astros till Cobb is ready.  Maybe we give Harvey a go at that lineup and say go give us 4+ IP.  No harm in letting the guy do that then going to Bowie.    

Edited by sportsfan8703

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Logical, yet surprising considering they'd been saying for more than a week that he'd start today's game.    I guess the Cobb acquisition puts more emphasis on figuring out Wright/Cortes/Castro and they need the innings.

Just now, Frobby said:

Logical, yet surprising considering they'd been saying for more than a week that he'd start today's game.    I guess the Cobb acquisition puts more emphasis on figuring out Wright/Cortes/Castro and they need the innings.

That's a very real question now. 

On 3/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, ChuckS said:

Any chance he starts in AA-Bowie ???

The Advanced-A Frederick rotation is going to be crowded, regardless. 

On 3/6/2018 at 8:20 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I suspect that there is a good chance that he starts the season at AA-Bowie instead of Advanced-A Frederick, and I'll explain why.

The reason being is that last September when Roy Firestone first informed us that he had heard from a source within the organization that Harvey could conceivably be promoted to the Orioles as early as June of 2018, he said that it was contingent on "how well he pitches at AA-Bowie in April and May."

Hence, the language that was used in that piece of information makes me sense that he will be pitching at the AA-level In April and May instead of at the Advanced-A level.

o

o

AA-Bowie it is.

Thanks for the "inside dope" Roy. ll B|

FROM PAGE 18 (September of 2017)

On 9/4/2017 at 6:56 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I'm just repeating what one Oriole insider told me this week. It's from someone who knows, and it's not Jim Palmer. They said that Harvey could conceivably be pitching for the Orioles by June of next year ........ if he gets enough innings at AA-Bowie.

o

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

AA-Bowie it is.

Thanks for the "inside dope" Roy. ll B|

FROM PAGE 18 (September of 2017)

Optioning Harvey to Bowie is a paper move; they could put him on any affiliate once the season begins.    MiL rosters don’t get finalized until right before the season starts (which is a week after the major league season starts).  

That said, I do think there’s a good chance Harvey starts the season at Bowie.