Reimold heating up?

oriole_way

In the short run - no, not at all, imo. Reimold has to prove he can hit major league pitching. Whether or not he plays LF doing it this year isn't important, imo.

Exactly. We cant promote the guy till he stays healthy and tears up AA for an extended time. He just isnt ready right now.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or we could just make it a priority to move Millar (eating salary if necessary)….. Move Scott to DH, Huff to 1st, and insert Riemold to LF….

Who is more likely to be a part of the 2009 Orioles… Millar or Riemold? Obviously the answer is Riemold… he hit in college, has hit in every level of the minors… has over 1000 Minor League ab's… I see no purpose in going to Norfolk.

Couldn't agree more.

It’s beyond me how folks simply assume that DT would immediately take away Luke Scott’s job as the regular left-fielder (presumably because he’s reached the magical age of 30), hand it to Reimold on a planned permanent basis, and then stick with him, through hell or high water, even if it turns out he’s not as fully ready for this opportunity as the posters are insisting.

Scott’s done nothing to forfeit the job; and Reimold, no matter how high his ceiling, has not yet done enough to rip it away. So if Nolan is brought up now, it would certainly be for nothing more than a part-time role – which I don’t think any of us want. Having said that, I would like to see him pushed up to Norfolk sometime soon.

Scott hasn't played bad, at time he played great, but he did just recently have a 7 for 55 skid. Nolan would have filled in great during that two week period.
All the reports at the time indicated that Luke was basically sick as a dog. Aside from that, I certainly don't think we want to focus on how Nolan would potentially help the team on a short-term basis. The real issue is what would be optimal for Reimold's long-term development.

Anon...The guy loses the at bats is Millar, not Scott.

BTW, 2-4 for Reimold tonight.

Yup, I realize that -- and that is ultimately how this may play out, SG. But under your scenario, Scott does lose his field position straight away. He's admittedly not a plus defender in the Markakis mold; but he certainly hasn't been an embarrassment either. Again, maybe at some point Reimold forces the issue, and the choice is made to move Scott out of LF. But I don't see that it's happened yet. And I certainly don't believe that DT will see it that way and play Reimold every day in LF.

Yup, I realize that -- and that is ultimately how this may play out, SG. But under your scenario, Scott does lose his field position straight away. He's admittedly not a plus defender in the Markakis mold; but he certainly hasn't been an embarrassment either. Again, maybe at some point Reimold forces the issue, and the choice is made to move Scott out of LF. But I don't see that it's happened yet. And I certainly don't believe that DT will see it that way and play Reimold every day in LF.

Scott is a very solid defensive OFer...I see no reason why him and Reimold can't share the duties out there.

Something interesting on Reimold. Up to this point of is career he had averaged about 1 strikeout per 4 AB's. In fact, I think it was even a little under every 4 AB's the last two years. I'm not sure if he's changed his approach but there's always been talk that he's too pull conscious. While his power numbers are definitely down at this point, at least his K's are way down and his walks are back up (compared to last year). He's striking out about once every 6.5 AB's right now. Hopefully his disappointing start has more to do with him making some final adjustments that will benefit him in the long run, than him just plain struggling to hit AA pitching this year.

I noticed this earlier this season as well, but he wasn't hitting very well at the time. So I wasn't sure if it was a matter of striking out less at the expense of his power. But now, he is hitting better, the slugging seems to be returning and his K are still low. In fact, he is getting better at not striking out as the season progresses (2 K in his last 42 AB). Currently he has 21 K in 147 AB, or exactly 1 K per 7 AB. I don't think Reimold has achieved this few K at any point previously in his minor league career.

In fact, here are his strike out ratios since being drafted by the Orioles:

2005 Aberdeen 1 K per 4.09 AB (44 K/180 AB)

2005 Frederick 1 K per 3.07 AB (27 K/83 AB)

2006 Frederick 1 K per 3.88 AB (107 K/415 AB)

2007 Bowie 1 K per 3.96 AB (47 K/ 186 AB)

2008 Bowie 1 K per 7.00 AB (21 K/ 147 AB)

Obviously, that's a significant difference.

Maybe Tony or somebody else who has seen him play in person (or even talked to him) can give us a little insight into what has gone into his improved ability to make contact, ie has he shortened his swing, has he changed his approach in some other way, is it just a reflection of experience etc.

And no K's. Looks like a different hitter now, statistically speaking.

Yes, I'm struck by the fact that Reimold has only 21 K's in 147 AB -- once every 7 AB. Last year he struck out 47 times in 186 AB -- once every 4 AB. He's cut down drastically on the K's even while improving slightly his already impressive walk rate. I'm sure the Orioles have to be very pleased with this development.

Looking at his splits, he has hit RHP very well, but has hit only so-so vs. LHP. His lackluster performance vs. LHP is out of character for him; historically, he crushes LHP. I have to think he will pick it up vs. LHP at the season goes along.

I just hope he stays hot. Another 4 weeks like the last 3 and he wil have made a convincing case for a mid-season promotion to Norfolk.

I went to the Baysox game tonight and Noland looked very good at the plate.:D:clap3:

The more I hear about Reimold, the more I want him up here NOW. And this is coming from someone who loved Millar's role in the Orioles Magic video. :D

Or we could just make it a priority to move Millar (eating salary if necessary)….. Move Scott to DH, Huff to 1st, and insert Riemold to LF….

Who is more likely to be a part of the 2009 Orioles… Millar or Riemold? Obviously the answer is Riemold… he hit in college, has hit in every level of the minors… has over 1000 Minor League ab's… I see no purpose in going to Norfolk.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm just not a big fan of skipping AAA entirely except in very rare cases. Contrary to what some people seem to think, there is definitely a difference in the quality of pitching a hitter faces in AAA compared to AA. I'd rather see a player get experience against tougher pitchers at AAA before being thrown to the wolves in the majors, even if it it just a couple of months. This is especially true for Reimold, who reputedly has trouble with breaking stuff.

You won't hear me complain if he goes straight to Baltimore, but I'd prefer he get a little AAA seasoning first.

I'm just not a big fan of skipping AAA entirely except in very rare cases. Contrary to what some people seem to think, there is definitely a difference in the quality of pitching a hitter faces in AAA compared to AA. I'd rather see a player get experience against tougher pitchers at AAA before being thrown to the wolves in the majors, even if it it just a couple of months. This is especially true for Reimold, who reputedly has trouble with breaking stuff.

You won't hear me complain if he goes straight to Baltimore, but I'd prefer he get a little AAA seasoning first.

Norfolk is such a pitcher's park that Reimold could go there, put up a 780 OPS and people would say he hasn't done anything warrant a promotion.

I just don't care that much about AAA. For the most part, the better prospects are in the lower leagues.

Archived