Reimold heating up?

oriole_way

I'm just not a big fan of skipping AAA entirely except in very rare cases. Contrary to what some people seem to think, there is definitely a difference in the quality of pitching a hitter faces in AAA compared to AA. I'd rather see a player get experience against tougher pitchers at AAA before being thrown to the wolves in the majors, even if it it just a couple of months. This is especially true for Reimold, who reputedly has trouble with breaking stuff.

You won't hear me complain if he goes straight to Baltimore, but I'd prefer he get a little AAA seasoning first.

It'll be interesting to see what the O's are thinking about this. Maybe he could get a AAA call-up at about the same time Weiters gets his call to AA. That would be a nice indication that the team thinks this guy is the real deal.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I see happening (if he stays healthy, always an if with Nolan).

Bowie for now, Norfolk promotion at the All Star Break, then Sept. call up for a MLB audition, 25 roster next year.

That Chris Young quote I put up this past week sums it up for me… basically, "I think you learn more in 1 year in the bigs than you learn in 4 years in the minors."

I'm not sure it's right to apply a Chris Young quote to other people. What worked for Chris Young might not work for NR.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to get NR 100+ at-bats in Norfolk. I see nothing wrong with promoting NR to the everyday LF position in Camden Yards if the FO believes he's ready.

Either way, whether he is developing as a hitter, playing injury free or is simply on one of his hot streaks, NR is pounding the ball right now and it is very exciting to see him come on as the offensive force many believe he is.

FWIW, I doubt the FO deals Millar as long as we are playing above .500 ball.

Does a callup by August 1st depend entirely on trading Payton and/or Millar?

I think it would have to be Millar, Huff or Scott being gone for Reimold to get the call up. Payton is a backup player. If Reimold is up, he needs to be playing, and Payton wouldn't really play into that equation.

I am relatively positive you will get your wish, and that he will spend time in AAA… but while I respect the rationale, I do not agree with it.

AAA is the perfect place to be for essentially AAAA positional prospects like Moore, and Costanzo… guys that might be spot starters in the bigs, but ultimately are players 23-25 on a roster.

I have no doubt that the AAA pitching they regularly see, is more refined then AA… but I think AA tends to have pitchers with higher ceilings.

For Reimold, at age 24, and after 1000 minor league AB's… I do not think seeing two months of more refined breaking stuff in AAA outweighs the benefits of coming to the bigs…

That Chris Young quote I put up this past week sums it up for me… basically, "I think you learn more in 1 year in the bigs than you learn in 4 years in the minors."

Let Riemold get as much time as possible here in 2008… learning how to travel, going through the early adjustments… and he will be that much more equipped to help us on a regular basis in 2009.

Reasonable people can differ on this issue, and the answer isn't the same for every player IMO. I'll leave it to the O's to decide what they think is best for Reimold, and the team.

Norfolk is such a pitcher's park that Reimold could go there, put up a 780 OPS and people would say he hasn't done anything warrant a promotion.

I just don't care that much about AAA. For the most part, the better prospects are in the lower leagues.

The better prospects, but not the better players. Reimold could certainly learn some things hitting at AAA, and he'd certainly see better breaking stuff, which is going to be his weakness.

I'd move him up at the end of May, then provided he's got at least a .750 OPS or so I'd bring him up to Baltimore sometime in August or certainly by September.

Yes, I'm struck by the fact that Reimold has only 21 K's in 147 AB -- once every 7 AB. Last year he struck out 47 times in 186 AB -- once every 4 AB. He's cut down drastically on the K's even while improving slightly his already impressive walk rate. I'm sure the Orioles have to be very pleased with this development.

Looking at his splits, he has hit RHP very well, but has hit only so-so vs. LHP. His lackluster performance vs. LHP is out of character for him; historically, he crushes LHP. I have to think he will pick it up vs. LHP at the season goes along.

I just hope he stays hot. Another 4 weeks like the last 3 and he wil have made a convincing case for a mid-season promotion to Norfolk.

Is it possible that the same approach that has him K'ing less is also making him less effective against LHP? Changes in stance/approach can affect more than just one outcome.

You're ignoring Frobby's ponts though. Facing the better pitching in AAA will only better prepare Reimold for the majors. Norfolk is a tough park. Luis Terrero is hitting pretty well there (at least overall. I don't know his splits). It might supress Reimold's power numbers, but so what. If the people (assuming you mean the O's organization) don't know this, then I'm speechless. If we are afraid of what Reimold will do in AAA then should we really be clamoring for his callup?

I am not afraid of it personally..I am afraid the Orioles look at his stats, if they weren't great and not promote him.

However, i just don't see the need for AAA for him...Actually, I don't usually see the need for AAA for many guys.

Take a guy like Jay Bruce for example...Now, he doesn't need to be in AAA but let's face it, he is only there because the Reds OF is crowded right now.

If Reimold weren't 24, played in college and been very successful at all the levels, i could see him needing time in AAA...But, that hasn't been the case and like Stockstill said the other day, once you are in AA, you are very close to the majors.

Let Riemold get as much time as possible here in 2008… learning how to travel, going through the early adjustments… and he will be that much more equipped to help us on a regular basis in 2009.

The Young quote is a great bit of insight. In theory, your best coaches and best players are at the major league level. Letting a quality prospect come to the bigs and learn from your best people just makes sense to me.

I have absolutely no problem with guys skipping AAA if they have the talent to improve the major league club.

That's what I'm thinking although in the long run he might rake LHP again. The ball is usually coming in on a RHB from a LHP so many times a guy who opens up quickly can take advantage of those inner half pitches. Now, in theory, Reimold is waiting a little longer on pitches and protecting the whole plate. Perhaps he's getting eaten up on some of those inside pitches. Hopfeully, he'll be able to do both (open up on the inside pitches and still cover the whole plate) and then we'll really have something.

If he can't do both regularly then he will have to figure out which concession is the most important. Dcab is a perfect example from a pitchers perspective. He gets the K's but also the walks. He cuts down the walks and gives up more hits. Obviously he has figured out that conceding the K's has given him better results.

Corey Patterson is someone who makes the wrong concession. He doesn't hit to both sides and play to contact. He tries to muscle everything and it doesn't work.

The great hitters can adjust quickly and do both.

2 for 3 today (5/15) with a double, a walk and a strikeout

His line for the year:

.273/.351/.460/.811 7 doubles 3 triples 5 homers 15 RBI 18BB/22SO

And for May: 1055 OPS in 55 ABs.

Although I'm definitely not on board with the idea of bringing him to the big-league team, he sure is making an undeniable case for a ticket at least to the Tides.

I am not afraid of it personally..I am afraid the Orioles look at his stats, if they weren't great and not promote him.

However, i just don't see the need for AAA for him...Actually, I don't usually see the need for AAA for many guys.

Take a guy like Jay Bruce for example...Now, he doesn't need to be in AAA but let's face it, he is only there because the Reds OF is crowded right now.

If Reimold weren't 24, played in college and been very successful at all the levels, i could see him needing time in AAA...But, that hasn't been the case and like Stockstill said the other day, once you are in AA, you are very close to the majors.

I don't see what the relationship is between the fact that Reimold is 24 and played in college, and whether he needs time in AAA or not. Playing for Bowling Green isn't the same as playing in AA or AAA. It affects the decisions as to what level he starts off playing in minor league ball, not what level he finishes in. I don't care about him being 24, either. What does that have to do with whether he is ready for the majors?

To me, what is relevant is what is his skill set, and what are his strengths and weaknesses. Also, when does he have to be on the 40-man roster, and how many options does he have? Those are the relevant considerations.

Again, I won't bark if the decision is made to put Reimold on the Orioles, but I think the set of considerations I outlined are far more relevant than his age or the fact that he played in college.

I don't see what the relationship is between the fact that Reimold is 24 and played in college, and whether he needs time in AAA or not. Playing for Bowling Green isn't the same as playing in AA or AAA. It affects the decisions as to what level he starts off playing in minor league ball, not what level he finishes in. I don't care about him being 24, either. What does that have to do with whether he is ready for the majors?

To me, what is relevant is what is his skill set, and what are his strengths and weaknesses. Also, when does he have to be on the 40-man roster, and how many options does he have? Those are the relevant considerations.

Again, I won't bark if the decision is made to put Reimold on the Orioles, but I think the set of considerations I outlined are far more relevant than his age or the fact that he played in college.

Always good stuff, Frobby.

Archived