The Dreadful 6th Inning

hutchead

Today will make the sixth time this season that we took a lead into the

sixth inning, only to have our opponents score the go ahead runs

in the same inning. One other time we were tied going into the

sixth before allowing the go ahead run to score in a loss. Three other

times we were trailing going into the sixth before our opponents

scored insurance runs that ended up being the difference in a loss.

I'm getting to where I dread the sixth inning of every game. Our

starters are running out of gas in this inning but it's too early to

go to our bread and butter bullpen guys. We need to figure out a

solution to this mess.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today will make the sixth time this season that we took a lead into the

sixth inning, only to have our opponents score the go ahead runs

in the same inning. One other time we were tied going into the

sixth before allowing the go ahead run to score in a loss. Three other

times we were trailing going into the sixth before our opponents

scored insurance runs that ended up being the difference in a loss.

I'm getting to where I dread the sixth inning of every game. Our

starters are running out of gas in this inning but it's too early to

go to our bread and butter bullpen guys. We need to figure out a

solution to this mess.

Is there a solution though? Wouldn't there have to be different players in the

rotation?

It almost seemed like Buck was conceding this game whilevinsuring that no good bullpen arm was used. I was stunned that he kept Wright in the game.

Then he lets Wieters remain on the bench with the bases loaded and Pena coming up? Today was a head-scratcher.

It almost seemed like Buck was conceding this game whilevinsuring that no good bullpen arm was used. I was stunned that he kept Wright in the game.

You were?

It's Buck's MO.

How many times over the years did he try and squeeze an extra inning out of Chen?

Buck has a slow hook, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the relative lack of mound visits isn't by his direction.

You were?

It's Buck's MO.

How many times over the years did he try and squeeze an extra inning out of Chen?

Buck has a slow hook, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the relative lack of mound visits isn't by his direction.

Yeah I was. I know Buck is proned to stick with starters but this seemed extreme to me...even for Buck. Wright was toast and the team had a great chance to steal an unexpected win. Very frustrating and disappointing.

The solution is easy, stop trying to get six innings out of starters that were lucky to get through five.

Problem solved.

I see what you are trying to say, but no bullpen will last long in MLB if the starters only go five innings. So that's not really a solution. The solution would be to get good starting pitching, but that ship has sailed I think. It's not like no one knew this was the team's weakness going into the season.

I see what you are trying to say, but no bullpen will last long in MLB if the starters only go five innings. So that's not really a solution. The solution would be to get good starting pitching, but that ship has sailed I think. It's not like no one knew this was the team's weakness going into the season.

Check out the Cubs last year.

They had 60% of their rotation routinely pulled after five innings.

Of course that would mean that Tillman and Gausman would have to step up some but I wouldn't be shocked to find out the O's are running a larger bullpen than the Cubs were last year.

Ublado piggyback Vanimal.

Wilson piggyback Bundy

Wright piggyback TJ.

Is there a solution though? Wouldn't there have to be different players in the

rotation?

Obviously, the way to fix the late-middle-inning pitching weakness would be to have another starter or two who can pitch effectively into the sixth inning (and beyond, like starters on other teams do). If you know a way of accomplishing that, let us know -- or better still, clue in Dan and Buck.

The only other way of improving this situation that I can see is to try to upgrade the performance of the bottom of the bullpen barrel by forgetting about the luxury of a LOOGY, sending one or both bullpen lefties down (I'm not counting Britton; we'll keep him) and seeing whether someone at Norfolk or Bowie, or maybe someone about to be cut loose by another team, can do a better job in the 5th/6th (and maybe 7th while O'Day is out). The goal would be to find another Mychal Givens or two down there, or out there, and construct the bullpen so that everyone can be called on with more confidence than TJ and Duensing are instilling right now. It's nice to have a lefty to bring in to face Ortiz or McCann in the clutch, or a run of lefties in the lineup, but with our rotation we can't afford the roster spoit(s).

I guess then your plan is to pitch the other guys what 400 some innings. You will completely kill your pen by June.

Just because Vanimal is piggybacking Ubaldo doesn't mean he pitches once a week, same with Bundy and TJ.

The way it tends to be working now is one of those guys enters the game after 5 1/3 with two runners on. Is that somehow better than just pulling them after five?

Archived