TT: Gallardo 88-92 tonight, expect back in rotation

Tony-OH

I would like to see Despaigne and Gallardo added to the rotation. Wright optioned. Ubaldo to the pen. Duensing DFA'd.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Despaigne can do as well now that's he's settled in at AAA. Command still seems to be a bit of a concern though and I don't want to replace Jiminez with a similar guy. Hopefully he won't be as bad, but Wright will never be consistent as a starter so maybe it's time to take a fresh look at someone else.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Despaigne can do as well now that's he's settled in at AAA. Command still seems to be a bit of a concern though and I don't want to replace Jiminez with a similar guy. Hopefully he won't be as bad, but Wright will never be consistent as a starter so maybe it's time to take a fresh look at someone else.

My expectation is that Gallardo takes Jimenez's spot, with the latter banished to the bullpen, and we gave both Wright and Wilson at least one more go 'round in the rotation. Then I believe we'd move Worley into the rotation before we'd call up Despaigne. Either way, the next few weeks could bring a huge overhaul to the rotation.

My expectation is that Gallardo takes Jimenez's spot, with the latter banished to the bullpen, and we gave both Wright and Wilson at least one more go 'round in the rotation. Then I believe we'd move Worley into the rotation before we'd call up Despaigne. Either way, the next few weeks could bring a huge overhaul to the rotation.

Buck said in the post game on Sunday that Worley had some kind of a quad/groin issue. I don't know how that will affect him.

Believe what you want. Just reporting what I was told and I have no reason to believe I was being lied to.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but at the end of the day, if he can replace Jiminez in the rotation I'm fine with seeing how he does once again.

I'm not saying you're being lied to. Just that on his first start we heard both sides.

I want him to do well. But still miffed at his signing and how it's hurt the team overall.

I'm not saying you're being lied to. Just that on his first start we heard both sides.

I want him to do well. But still miffed at his signing and how it's hurt the team overall.

If it makes you feel better, I wasn't thrilled with his signing either. Losing the 15th overall pick needs to be for a difference maker only. Maybe if he's healthy and he can get back to first half 2015 Gallardo he can still be, but I remain skeptical.

If it makes you feel better, I wasn't thrilled with his signing either. Losing the 15th overall pick needs to be for a difference maker only. Maybe if he's healthy and he can get back to first half 2015 Gallardo he can still be, but I remain skeptical.

At this point, thats all we can do, remain skeptical, but hope for the best.

At this point, I've lowered my sights. I just want him to be an upgrade over what we have in the back of our rotation. Whether he's worth the draft pick and salary no longer matter to me, that's water under the bridge. I'm just focused on whether the team will win more games in 2016 with him than with someone else out there pitching.

Wasn't that what they were claiming his first outing? When he was sitting 87-88 in the park, but someone said that it's usually 4mph off? Only to be found out that a scout said he was barely hitting 90?

Back about 10 years ago, I attended a spring training game in Ft. Lauderdale, O's vs. Nats, and sat right next to 4 scouts who each had their own radar gun. Funny sight seeing them each hold up their radar gun as the pitcher was in the wind-up. Was also sitting two rows behind Flanny.

I'd imagine for rehab starts, or for minor leaguers who are attractive as trade bait, there very well may be several scouts with radar guns tracking these pitchers. Would be interesting if a minor league media correspondent attending the game could ask each scout the speed they are measuring. Like LookItsPuck points out, I'm sure there is some dispersion, so that would be great info if it could be obtained.

Despaigne seems to be the forgotten man. In my own mind I've kinda even labeled him as Freddy Garcia 2.0 but I think he's shown he's better than that. The guy throws like 5 pitches from 2-3 different arm angles. He's a crafty righty. These guys give us so much trouble. Fangraphs compared him sort of to Marco Estrada with his change up movement. If you could sandwich Despaigne between our two hardest throwers in Tillman, and Gausman it would give teams a different look.

I would like to see Despaigne and Gallardo added to the rotation. Wright optioned. Ubaldo to the pen. Duensing DFA'd.

Agreed 100%. You gotta try something. We can't keep trotting the same guys out there and expecting different results at this point.

If Ubaldo changes to a relief role, maybe he can get back up into the mid 90s again. He could potentially do well in McFarland's role.

He needs to have some control. Can't just fall behind on everyone and then lay it in the middle of the plate. If he has longer layoffs does his moving parts even get worse? I think Buck and Dan might have had a nice discussion on Ubaldo up in Boston.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If his fastball is in the high-80s I think that can work. He was sitting 84-85 earlier this year. I think he's got a chance to be our third best starter. I know that's not saying much, but I'll take any improvement I can get.

Me too. I hope he surprises us all and pitches well.

If Ubaldo changes to a relief role, maybe he can get back up into the mid 90s again. He could potentially do well in McFarland's role.
I'm not concerned about his velocity. I'm concerned with his lack of fastball command. A few times he has had it, most of the time he hasn't had it.

Ubaldo might do quite well in long relief. On a given game, if he's sharp, he can shut down the opponent's offense for an inning or three. If he is not sharp, he can be yanked right away.

Archived