Future or Go For It This Year?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every deal has to be looked at on a case by case basis. I would never say "go for it" at any cost, and any player I would want to get at the least possible cost.

Also, at this point in the season it is just too early to tell. Things can change a lot from week to week and month to month. See where we are 48 hours from the trade deadline and then make a decision.

What offer could the Orioles make that a dozen teams couldn't beat?

I don't know the answer to that. I don't really follow the minors or prospects of other teams, which is why I have a hard time placing a value on our prospects. I'm sure a lot of teams could be the Orioles offer, but I was just curious if we had the prospects to get it done.

I don't know the answer to that. I don't really follow the minors or prospects of other teams' date=' which is why I have a hard time placing a value on our prospects. I'm sure a lot of teams could be the Orioles offer, but I was just curious if we had the prospects to get it done.[/quote']

The O's farm system came in around 27th in pre-season rankings.

I mean trading some of our talent down on the farm to get a player that will be an upgrade over what we have in our starting pitching. If it means he is a FA after' date=' so be it, but it will help us win a few more games.[/quote']

It would have to be a very significant upgrade for me to be in favor of it, assuming we're talking about a player who will be a free agent when the season is over. Frankly, eyeballing the list, I'm not sure there's anyone I'd want.

Brett Anderson

Bronson Arroyo

Brandon Beachy

Andrew Cashner

John Danks

Jorge de la Rosa

R.A. Dickey

Scott Feldman

Jaime Garcia

Jeremy Guthrie

Jeremy Hellickson

Daniel Hudson

Edwin Jackson

Cliff Lee

Cory Luebke

Ivan Nova

Jake Peavy

Jered Weaver

C.J. Wilson

Travis Wood

It appears as though we have a good team' date=' except for our starting pitching. To fix our starting pitching could mean losing the future. Which would you rather do? Mortgage the future for the chance of "this year" or just "hold fast" and keep what little we do have down on the farm for down the road?[/quote']

Hold fast.

I think the O's should go in the other direction. They should consider trading, Trumbo, Wieters, Tillman, Britten, etc... and mortgage the present for the future. It will never happen as long as Buck and Dan are with Orioles, but it could potentially set the Orioles up for long term success. It could also turn into a Sid Thrift situation as well.

From the same people that said we had no chance to compete this year?

I imagine the folks that do the farm rankings are not the same people that do the regular season projections.

Not that I think it would make a difference either way, unless for some reason you think they have something to gain by intentionally skewing their findings?

Keep in mind a number of groups do these rankings so they would ALL have to have a reason.

From the same people that said we had no chance to compete this year?

Regardless of how anyone felt about the major league team, it's really pretty obvious that our farm system has very few interesting prospects and is weak in both depth and in top-shelf talent.

Archived