Cody Sedlock (Merged with: Sedlock sold to Tigers in July 2022)

weams

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think one more good start after today and Sedlock goes to Bowie.  He seem to be way ahead of the competition in the Carolina League.

I wouldn't. He skipped Delmarva and didn't pitch much in Aberdeen. There is no real tape or report on him. Let him stay in Frederick for the season. Let him face the same teams 3 or 4 times and see if they figure him out. If he still has the same success all season, then Bowie next year. If he gets knocked around a little, then good. See how he bounces back.

Sedlock is a 1st rounder from a major college program.   After 4 starts he is 3-0, 1.64 ERA, 0.82 WHIP and a .135 avg against.

I would think the O's are trying to find the level where he is challenged.  He looks too good for Frederick.   Gausman pitched 3 games at Frederick.  JMO.

o

15 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts, 4 Flyouts, 1 Popouts

CODY AUSTIN SEDLOCK o))o (vs. Advanced-A Dalem, 4/23)

IP:llll5

H:;;ll l1 ll(1 Single)

R:lll.) 0

BB:.ll3

SO:lll5

Pitches: 89 )(54 )Strikes, )35 )Balls)

2017 ERA: 1.64 (Advanced-A Frederick)

2017 WHIP: 0.818 (Advanced-A Frederick) )

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: l.135 )(Advanced-A Frederick) ) 10 for 74

PITCHES BY INNING

19 ll(10 .lStrikes, lll9 )lBalls)

10 l.(61 .lStrikes, l.4 )lBalls)

16 ll(11 llStrikes, l..5 )lBalls)

19 ll(11 llStrikes, l)l8 )lBalls)

25 ))(16 llStrikes, ))9 )lBalls)

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I seriously doubt he gets promoted before mid/late May, if then.    It's not like he's striking out a ton of guys.    

He's a sinker ball pitcher.  I wouldn't expect a ton of strikeouts.  

He's not allowing a lot of baserunners (0.82 WHIP).  That is the most important thing.  I agree with the other posters who say he will get promoted sooner rather than later if he keeps this up due to his age and draft status. 

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sedlock is a 1st rounder from a major college program.   After 4 starts he is 3-0, 1.64 ERA, 0.82 WHIP and a .135 avg against.

I would think the O's are trying to find the level where he is challenged.  He looks too good for Frederick.   Gausman pitched 3 games at Frederick.  JMO.

Matusz pitched 11 games at Frederick.    Arrieta pitched an entire season there.   

Sedlock has pitched well, but I don't consider 6.5 K/9 and 2.0 K/BB to be signs that he's too good for the league.    I'd rather let him settle in for a while.    We can consider a promotion in late May.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Matusz pitched 11 games at Frederick.    Arrieta pitched an entire season there.   

Sedlock has pitched well, but I don't consider 6.5 K/9 and 2.0 K/BB to be signs that he's too good for the league.    I'd rather let him settle in for a while.    We can consider a promotion in late May.   

Both Matusz and Arrieta were per-Dan.   Gausman was 2012 in Frederick.  Dan's first year.   Besides Arrieta was a  3rd rounder.

I am no mind reader.  You could be right.  But looking at Gausman and Sedlock  as both 1st rounder under Dan.   Dan tends to move them faster as long as they are doing well.   Sedlock's number appear to say that he is better than A ball.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Both Matusz and Arrieta were per-Dan.   Gausman was 2012 in Frederick.  Dan's first year.   Besides Arrieta was a  3rd rounder.

I am no mind reader.  You could be right.  But looking at Gausman and Sedlock  as both 1st rounder under Dan.   Dan tends to move them faster as long as they are doing well.   Sedlock's number appear to say that he is better than A ball.

I think there's a pretty big difference between being the no. 4 overall pick (and 1st pitcher picked) and the no. 27 pick (7th college pitcher picked).    Gausman was ranked the no. 26 prospect going into the 2013 season; Sedlock wasn't in the top 100.    

That said, like you,I'm not a mind reader.     I wouldn't move Sedlock now, but I don't know what Dan will do.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think there's a pretty big difference between being the no. 4 overall pick (and 1st pitcher picked) and the no. 27 pick (7th college pitcher picked).    Gausman was ranked the no. 26 prospect going into the 2013 season; Sedlock wasn't in the top 100.    

That said, like you,I'm not a mind reader.     I wouldn't move Sedlock now, but I don't know what Dan will do.   

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Agree to disagree.   8 walks and 16 strikeouts in 22 innings is not dominating to me.   Again, that's not to say that he couldn't hold his own or even do well at Bowie.   

Is Austin Wynns dominating AA?    Is he too good for AA?

Doesn't really matter.  He is blocked by Sisco.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Doesn't really matter.  He is blocked by Sisco.

The point's the same.    Less than three weeks of games doesn't tell you who's too good for a particular level.    It tells you who has had a good or bad start.    

I think we've pretty much exhausted this argument.     We'll see how quickly Sedlock moves.    

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'm actually expecting Akin to get to Bowie a bit before Sedlock - based on Akin's superior SO/W ratios.  But I'd be very surprised if either was promoted before June.  Wait and evaluate.      

June/July around the All Star game is when I'd really start moving people around in terms of promotions.