Cody Sedlock (Merged with: Sedlock sold to Tigers in July 2022)

weams

48 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'm actually expecting Akin to get to Bowie a bit before Sedlock - based on Akin's superior SO/W ratios.  But I'd be very surprised if either was promoted before June.  Wait and evaluate.      

I like strikeouts, and cited Sedlock's relatively low K/9 and K/BB ratios as reasons not to be in a hurry to promote him.    At the same time, they're certainly not everything.   Akin has not pitched nearly as well as Sedlock overall, despite his high K rate.    He has a lot of work to do before anyone thinks of promoting him.    He's been making progress and hopefully continues to get better with each start and maintain a high K rate while he's at it.   

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I like strikeouts, and cited Sedlock's relatively low K/9 and K/BB ratios as reasons not to be in a hurry to promote him.    At the same time, they're certainly not everything.   Akin has not pitched nearly as well as Sedlock overall, despite his high K rate.    He has a lot of work to do before anyone thinks of promoting him.    He's been making progress and hopefully continues to get better with each start and maintain a high K rate while he's at it.   

To your point, it would be really nice to see the O's let someone really get their feet under them at a level before promoting. If Sedlock, for example, is allowed to stay in Frederick and really gets on a run through June or even July, that would bode well for both Bowie and more generally for the future. With a solid run like that, I'd be more willing to let him move quickly from Bowie. If instead we promote him sooner than later, then I'd really want to see a solid, long, run in Bowie/Norfolk before coming to the O's, but that's just me.

In reality, I expect the O's to promote him quickly and I expect him to be on our roster before 9/1 for a playoff run. We will definitely need the arms by then, and the O's aren't shy about pushing, for better or worse.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Give them 10-12 starts at Frederick and assess. If they are ready, challenge them at Bowie. They will learn more in AA because of the jump in talent level with the hitters and really know what they need to work on.

This timetable makes sense to me.     

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Meh, all it'd take is 1 bad game for Sedlock's career numbers to catch down Akin's.  Not so with Akin's big advantage in SO's/W's.  Looking at all the numbers, I'd say Akin is a little bit ahead of Sedlock right now.  We can wait till June and reassess.     

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Meh, all it'd take is 1 bad game for Sedlock's career numbers to catch down Akin's.  Not so with Akin's big advantage in SO's/W's.  Looking at all the numbers, I'd say Akin is a little bit ahead of Sedlock right now.  We can wait till June and reassess.     

I'm reasonably optimistic about both of them, and agree it's too early in the season to really judge them.    Akin's first start obviously skews his numbers.  The thing about Sedlock that impresses me so far is his ability to suppress hits, both last year and this year.    It will be interesting to see if that continues.   

On 4/25/2017 at 11:41 AM, Frobby said:

I'm reasonably optimistic about both of them, and agree it's too early in the season to really judge them.    Akin's first start obviously skews his numbers.  The thing about Sedlock that impresses me so far is his ability to suppress hits, both last year and this year.    It will be interesting to see if that continues.   

I get the point about Akin too.  There's reason to be optimisitic about both.  But they are different types of pitchers.  

Sedlock- 22 IP, 33 GB forced vs. 28 Fly balls forced.  16k/8 BB .134 avg

Akin-  15 IP, 7 GB forced vs. 27 FB forced.  24k/8 BB .328 avg.

Gotta like Akin's K's, but Sedlock is getting lots of GB's.  The stats will normalize for Akin and hopefully they'll both be in Bowie by the ASB.  

On 4/24/2017 at 9:45 AM, wildcard said:

4 starts, 3-0, 1.64 ERA, 0.82 WHIP and a .135 avg against is dominating.  You can pick at it all you want but Sedlock is probably too good for the league with those numbers.

I guess we should have moved him to Bowie while he was still too good for the league.   7 runs on 10 hits today.  

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, you guys keep betting against him.  I won't.

Nobody's betting against him.   The issue is how long do you wait before considering a promotion.   And my answer was, longer than four starts.    More like ten.    

o

Sedlock Struck Out 7 batters in 5 Innings Pitched, and did not walk anybody (although he did have 1 Hit Batsman.)

Also, 13 out of the 15 outs that he recorded came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

Those are the only good things that I can say about Sedlock's outing for him.

15 OUTS: 7 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts, 1 Flyouts, 1 Lineouts

CODY AUSTIN SEDLOCK o))o (vs. Advanced-A Carolina, 5/05)

IP:llll5

H:;;ll l9 ll(1 Home Run, 3 Doubles, 5 Singles)

R:lll.) 6

BB:.ll*

SO:l)l7

Pitches: 74 )(48 )Strikes, )26 )Balls)

2017 ERA: 4.83 (Advanced-A Frederick)

2017 WHIP: 1.168 (Advanced-A Frederick) )

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: l.238 )(Advanced-A Frederick) )  29 for 122

* Sedlock had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

16 ll(91 .lStrikes, lll)lBalls)

81 ll(71 .lStrikes, l.)lBalls)

19 ll(14 llStrikes, l..)lBalls)

17 ll(91 .lStrikes, )))lBalls)

14 ll(91 .lStrikes, lll)lBalls)

o