Cody Sedlock (Merged with: Sedlock sold to Tigers in July 2022)

weams

He doesn't have command of his pitches right now. The stuff is there, and after an offseason of rest I expect him to be fine, but he's not ready for Baltimore.

Interesting. Just ran into a cross-checker at Wrigley two weekends ago who said he could step in as Sale did and not miss a beat. Different strokes, and all that.

Interesting. Just ran into a cross-checker at Wrigley two weekends ago who said he could step in as Sale did and not miss a beat. Different strokes, and all that.

Well he may have saw him in mid-season form and I've seen him as a pro in a 3-inning stint. As you know, when you see him can matter a lot. The stuff is there, and the body of work suggests the command can be better then it's been, but when I saw him, I saw the power sink but he struggled to command it, especially glove side. He has 10 walks in 18 innings against NY-Penn League batters. I like him a lot, and think he has some promise, but the guy I saw wasn't ready to go up and pitch significant enough innings to be worth having to add him to the 40-man. Could he be a 6th inning guy? Perhaps, but I just don't think they are going to risk putting a guy under that stress who they are trying to baby thru pro 30 innings.

Well he may have saw him in mid-season form and I've seen him as a pro in a 3-inning stint. As you know, when you see him can matter a lot. The stuff is there, and the body of work suggests the command can be better then it's been, but when I saw him, I saw the power sink but he struggled to command it, especially glove side. He has 10 walks in 18 innings against NY-Penn League batters. I like him a lot, and think he has some promise, but the guy I saw wasn't ready to go up and pitch significant enough innings to be worth having to add him to the 40-man. Could he be a 6th inning guy? Perhaps, but I just don't think they are going to risk putting a guy under that stress who they are trying to baby thru pro 30 innings.

I don't have a dog -- haven't seen Sedlock since the spring. the XC watched Sedlock for the last four seasons and knows the kid from 2013/2016 classes; caught him during NY-P coverage on the pro side (he had two other orgs, but one played Aberdeen). I'm just relaying info.

I don't have a dog -- haven't seen Sedlock since the spring. the XC watched Sedlock for the last four seasons and knows the kid from 2013/2016 classes; caught him during NY-P coverage on the pro side (he had two other orgs, but one played Aberdeen). I'm just relaying info.

No, not arguing with you, just relaying what I observed and what I heard from others who have seen him. Regardless, I can't imagine the Orioles pulling him up mainly due to them trying to nurse him through his pro debut after his harsh college use this year.

No, not arguing with you, just relaying what I observed and what I heard from others who have seen him. Regardless, I can't imagine the Orioles pulling him up mainly due to them trying to nurse him through his pro debut after his harsh college use this year.

Yeah. I imagine if they are concerned with health/workload there would little incentive to do much with him at all outside of Aberdeen. Sounds like quiet debut and hopefully pushing him next year, then.

I'm just glad Sedlock is highly regarded enough to even have this discussion. When was the last Orioles pitcher who was brought to the majors the year he was drafted? I honestly can't think of one.

This XCs reco was to have him in the Majors for one inning appearances (where he thought he would be fine, and would allow Baltimore to rest some arms going into the home stretch) -- maybe get him 15 innings between August/October. 2017, go 1/3/1/1 with HiA/Double-A/Triple-A/MLB.

I'm just glad Sedlock is highly regarded enough to even have this discussion. When was the last Orioles pitcher who was brought to the majors the year he was drafted? I honestly can't think of one.

Not sure that is a fair comparison. With the rule changes players sign much earlier than before.

Is he in or near Sale territory from a talent standpoint? Read where he is a likely #3 but not higher.

Point wasn't that he's the next Sale -- point was he could step in and be a useful bullpen guy essentially right away, then be fast-tracked following year as starter.

• Upvote 1