How much longer does Caleb get?

Shabadoo25

I think Caleb has a pretty long leash. He saved our bacon while Wieters was on the DL. To Buck the most important thing for a BuC is his catch and throw, to the average fan, it's his bat.

This. Caleb has literally given his right...um you know, to the Orioles. He kept us viable while when we lost Matt. Buck is gonna give him quite a bit of rope. I hope he turns it around. He has certainly been below expectations in 16.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off I think he's been regressing on defense as well.

Secondly his bat was fine in the minors (755 OPS) but he was almost always old for his level. For instance in 2013 he put up a 840 OPS in AA, but he was 27.

Coming into 2016 his career line was .223/.284/.376. It's now .216/.278/.355. He is what he always has been - very low average, borderline unplayable OBP, moderate power. In 80 PAs his 2016 slash line isn't terribly unusual. I doubt any change is warranted. He's a backup catcher.

Pena is hitting .190 in AAA. CJ gets a long leash. His offense is not important now that his role is purely to back up Wieters.

Pena ran into a homer here so people want him to take over for Caleb. The guy can't hit AAA pitching. Plus he doesn't know the pitchers or hitters and it showed.

Coming into 2016 his career line was .223/.284/.376. It's now .216/.278/.355. He is what he always has been - very low average, borderline unplayable OBP, moderate power. In 80 PAs his 2016 slash line isn't terribly unusual. I doubt any change is warranted. He's a backup catcher.

Yes but I'd rather it be Pena as the backup.

End of July.

As I just posted on the game thread, coming into today Caleb had come to the plate with 41 men on base, and he's still looking for his first RBI. He was hitting .133 with RISP, including 2 singles that didn't knock in a run.

. Yes and I think Flaherty was almost as bad and took over a month to get his first rbi and after getting more playing time with the Hardy injury eventually got back on track. Maybe same is true with Joseph? He hasn't had much regular playing time due to his DL stint.,

. Yes and I think Flaherty was almost as bad and took over a month to get his first rbi and after getting more playing time with the Hardy injury eventually got back on track. Maybe same is true with Joseph? He hasn't had much regular playing time due to his DL stint.,

Since he is a backup catcher, he never will play that much.

Pena ran into a homer here so people want him to take over for Caleb. The guy can't hit AAA pitching. Plus he doesn't know the pitchers or hitters and it showed.

I think that might be a little harsh but yeah, he can't hit. His homer here shocked the heck out of me. He almost lost his job to Perez who isn't on 40 man.

Pena does have value as a backup catcher though, I would be quite upset if we let him go.

Is CJ a big problem right now? He's certainly having an awful year so far, but Wieters is playing most of the time anyways. How much does a new back up catcher move the needle? Chances are Joseph will hit better and we know how good he can be behind the plate. Changing out back up catchers is not exactly a needle mover.

Archived